IGNORED

Windshield Questions....

I've been looking over the forum and most of the posts on windshields are 3+ yrs old so looking for some updated information:

I like to look over the windshield on my RSV and quickly removed the factory 20" windshield and replaced it with a 10" Slipstream model. The top edge falls perfectly just below my line of sight, about the tip of the nose. My problem is the wife complains of wind buffeting since she site so much higher on this vs my previous Road King, I also get some helmet buffeting depending on what I wear.

Clearview & F4 appear to be the two most popular options. I'm leaning towards the Clearview because of the recurve and getting the airflow up & over us. Does anyone else offer a recurve?

Both Clearview & F4 offer vents, but I've seen some complaints of the vents getting "loose" with age and not staying closed. Is this an issue?

Edit: it was noted in the past that forum members get a 10% discount. Before I reach out to Clearview I was wondering if anyone else has used them lately and received the discount?

I have the tallest widest clearveiw with vent, I look thru shield but wife gets very little buffeting. I have the shield for at least 6yrs, my vent works fine. Stays open when I open it and closed when I close it. The only time I wish I could look over my shield is in the pouring rain.

Good luck, Craig

Have you considered Bagger Shield? Three simple wingnuts and you can have either short or tall. I use mine in the lowered position on really warm days and to and from the office (lower speeds). Long rides, cooler weather, and with a passenger I use it in the raised position. They too, or used to, offer members a discount

Have you considered Bagger Shield? Three simple wingnuts and you can have either short or tall. I use mine in the lowered position on really warm days and to and from the office (lower speeds). Long rides, cooler weather, and with a passenger I use it in the raised position. They too, or used to, offer members a discount

I've looked at them, and in the past used Laminar Lip products on my sport-tourer.

1. I've never been a fan of tinted shields on my motorcycles. I have light-sensitivity issues with my eyes and ALWAYS have sunglasses on. The tinted shield makes me lose view of the road.

2. I've been happy with the height of the Slipstream I have now, I'd like the re-curve to get the wind over her as the passenger. I do not have a "need" for anything lower than that, even in cold or wet I like looking OVER the shield.

3. I'm not sold on the vent especially since is a $70 option on the Clearview ($236 vs $167).

I have the tall Clearview with vent. Also I have a short dark screen that I used to change out when riding solo. I love the Cleaview so much that I don't change anymore, just open the vent.

And the vent is holding up fine after how many years/miles?

I plan to keep my short Slipstream shield as well as the OEM that's in the box on the shelf...but like you I want a One Size Fits All replacement.

I have the tallest Baggersheild and I wish it had a vent. I have a long back and could just look over the top with it in the tall position(16"). With the top section down(10") there was a lot of wind buffering for both the wife and I. I cut about 1.5" off the clear section so the top of the windshield wasn't in my vision. Very little wind buffering solo or two up. I am going to cut in a Wing vent as I would like to adjust airflow behind shield on hot and rainy days.

I have the tallest Baggersheild and I wish it had a vent. I have a long back and could just look over the top with it in the tall position(16"). With the top section down(10") there was a lot of wind buffering for both the wife and I. I cut about 1.5" off the clear section so the top of the windshield wasn't in my vision. Very little wind buffering solo or two up. I am going to cut in a Wing vent as I would like to adjust airflow behind shield on hot and rainy days.

I had the taller wider windshield in my 91 Venture Royale and installed the vent your considering. Was an excellent move. Still had the overall protection I wanted and air flow when I wanted it.

You’ll like the results!

P.S. Am considering the taller wider Shield for my SVTC.

I had the taller wider windshield in my 91 Venture Royale and installed the vent your considering. Was an excellent move. Still had the overall protection I wanted and air flow when I wanted it.

You’ll like the results!

P.S. Am considering the taller wider Shield for my SVTC.

The only downside of installing the vent is it will remove the ability to drop the upper section. Maybe it will fit in one of the saddle bags for around town commutes. I'll have to check😎

The only downside of installing the vent is it will remove the ability to drop the upper section. Maybe it will fit in one of the saddle bags for around town commutes. I'll have to check😎

I’ve checked that the taller wider Shield on a SVTC still is raises and lowers fine. I don’t think the vent would work though due to clearance issues. I could mount it higher but don’t want obstructed view.

Edited by ChiefGunner

And the vent is holding up fine after how many years/miles?

I plan to keep my short Slipstream shield as well as the OEM that's in the box on the shelf...but like you I want a One Size Fits All replacement.

Eight years maybe more, and vent is still like new. The recurve really dumps the water up and away.

:farmer:

Thank you everyone for your help....and for the future people looking for more info (like I was). I had a forum member offer me a Clearview off his recently purchased bike for a GREAT price. the $12 a year membership to this forum really does pay off in the long run.

One thing that I didn't see mentioned about having a vent....besides adding air flow to your face or chest as desired, it also helps reduce the vacuum behind the windshield that is created by the air rushing past it. Adding air into that calm spot behind the windshield reduces buffeting to the front seater.

I've had the Clearview with vents on 3 scoots in the past 6 years. Not one failure or problem. The only negative is cleaning the bugs that get caught in between the vents!

I have the tallest F4 they make with the vent and tinted. You won't notice the tint but it does help. the vent is perfect I'm 6ft and the girlfriend sits with her helmet just above mine and has no buffeting issues. The F4 is also great in the rain, it sheds water like a ducks back. Also the F$ is just a touch wider it really helps with the hands.