IGNORED

Just when Ya think you are making progress!!!

Yammer Dan

Besides, Water and Electricity do not play nicely together. Ya, that just got bumped to top priority. Hope it's just a minor deal.

I was on a roof all day, in the rain, changing out a rooftop HVAC unit. 480 volt 3 phase, and EVERYTHING was dripping wet. When I was ready to start it up, I closed up all the panels, stood aside of the electrical compartment and threw the switch.

I was quite pleased that nothing arc flashed.

I was able to cautiously put it through the paces to make sure everything worked,....talk about a puckered butthole.:shock3:

The other day when it was raining, my wife said to me, "You need to fix the roof. It's leaking." Told her I couldn't fix it now. It's raining.

Following day she said "You should fix the roof today. It's not raining." Told her, no need to fix it now, it's not leaking.

I was on a roof all day, in the rain, changing out a rooftop HVAC unit. 480 volt 3 phase, and EVERYTHING was dripping wet. When I was ready to start it up, I closed up all the panels, stood aside of the electrical compartment and threw the switch.

I was quite pleased that nothing arc flashed.

I was able to cautiously put it through the paces to make sure everything worked,....talk about a puckered butthole.:shock3:

Yep. Lots o fun. I remember flying in 18 twenty five ton packs with a chopper on a toy factory on a humid day. The ground straps arcing enough to make you pucker, then starting them up two days later in the rain. I just can't understand why I don't miss that job. Industrial stuff for 13 years until a chemical plant made me decide I was done. Crazy stuff in there.

I got the place that is leaking covered and stopped it for now I thunk but gonna have to open it up to repair it right. Don't know if I should just put shingles back in that spot of bite it and get metal for the whole thing?? Got a broken truss in there so not just a simple patch.

I got the place that is leaking covered and stopped it for now I thunk but gonna have to open it up to repair it right. Don't know if I should just put shingles back in that spot of bite it and get metal for the whole thing?? Got a broken truss in there so not just a simple patch.

Probably 'preaching to the choir', but..---->toxic spore release, Black Mold can start and spread on a drop of water. I hope you can view the entire wet area...and at least apply a strong bleach, then seal from further moisture ingress. Black Mold...don't ask...a downstairs's shower stall. Rip out marine wall-board...rip out...bleach...copper sulfate paint...and rebuild. Never want to do THAT again.

Edited by YamahaParExcellence

Did aliens land on your roof to punch a hole AND break a rafter?

If it was old age of the shingles that caused them to fail then a whole new roof is in order. if it was something that hit and damaged the roof and the rest is in good shape, then I would patch it. If was excessive snow load that damaged the roof, then I KNOW NOTHING.........

Fixing the truss should be pretty easy, and then if it is just a puncture in an otherwise good roof, just need to patch the hole. Should take longer to go shopping for the supplies than to do the repairs. Unless there is an area of the roof deck that also needs replacing.

PS.

I am betting that the rain is not done for the season yet..................

Fixing the truss should be pretty easy, and then if it is just a puncture in an otherwise good roof, just need to patch the hole. Should take longer to go shopping for the supplies than to do the repairs. Unless there is an area of the roof deck that also needs replacing.

PS.

I am betting that the rain is not done for the season yet..................

All that damaged sounds like a good claim for insurance! When I bought my little Craftsman Bungalow that's a hundred and one years old, I called State Farm three months later and they came out and put they paid for entire new $10,000 roof from the trusses up on my house for my $ $500 deductible. There was two layers of tired Shake shingles on 1 x 6s with a 1 inch gap between them. They had to deck everything first to bring it up to code.

...in the Eternal scheme of things, this isn't even the blink of an eye.

I told the Warden we should stop at Rural King today and check on shingles!!! They just happened to have a battery for the 2nd Gen there....Didn't find the shingles:bang head:
Be honest --:backinmyday:--you probably stopped lookin once you spotted something for the Motorcycle.:no-no-no:

My mother lives in one of these life lease projects for the retired. What a rip off they are. You would think the Rotary Club was an organization that would help the elderly instead of ripping them off. Any way she had water leaking into the house right about the time we had a big wind and rain storm. When she called them they tried to tell her that it was probably coming from a pipe and could not be from the roof because it was just re-shingled. (bet your butt I will be giving them a call). Unless some one here knows something I don't know I find it pretty hard to believe that inside pipes only leak during a heavy driving rain and then stop when the sun comes out. Plus just because they re-shingled the roof does not mean that any of the flashing was properly done.

Wonder if it was the same person that suggested to @Yammer Dan to try the light switch 1st,

Maybe he was related to the idiot that installed my sewer lines or the idiot that put 5 (yes five, not a typo) layers of shingles on my house. The roofer I hired was NOT happy during the tear off.

At least those pipes are over 100 years old so he is most likely already dead, its keeping me out of trouble.

It is a Modular Home. I know all the stories but our house burnt and we didn't have time to build. We have had very little trouble with it the roof being one of the major things. One of the things I made sure was 2x4 trusses and plywood instead of partical board!! Was told OK by salesman. Was built on our orders. Shingles started coming up 1st year in wind storms. Staples just pull right out!! After it got down to bare board in a spot or two. PARTICAL BOARD!!! And I will bet when I pull it to fix that truss they are not 2x4!!! But it is 19 yrs old. Don't think I can do anything about it!!

It is a Modular Home. I know all the stories but our house burnt and we didn't have time to build. We have had very little trouble with it the roof being one of the major things. One of the things I made sure was 2x4 trusses and plywood instead of partical board!! Was told OK by salesman. Was built on our orders. Shingles started coming up 1st year in wind storms. Staples just pull right out!! After it got down to bare board in a spot or two. PARTICAL BOARD!!! And I will bet when I pull it to fix that truss they are not 2x4!!! But it is 19 yrs old. Don't think I can do anything about it!!

I guess it would all depend on if the manufacturer is still in business, Was this a verbal agreement with the sales man? Is it in writing on the contract? If you have it in writing then you likely still have a case for a new free roof, or at least a significant discount or at minimum a refund of the up charges for the ply and trusses.

It could certainly be wort looking into.

As for needing to specify 2x4 trusses? Is something smaller even allowed by building code down there. Up here where SNOW weight is a real thing, the minimum is 2x6 on 16" centers.