IGNORED

steering lock up

out touring to-day and the steering locked up ,pulled in clutch and brake and slowed down ,steering returned to normal . still scared the crap out of me . does anyone know why steering would lock up ? thanks 1986 venture 1300

Never heard of such a thing.

That being said, First thing I would look at is the bearings in the head. Dry or damaged bearings.

Also check cable and line routing and make sure nothing is hanging up. It seems odd that a set of head bearings would be in bad enough shape to cause the steering to bind like that and not exhibit other symptoms during normal riding.

If it is the bearings then it's a little bit of a knuckle buster to replace them. I used the All Balls bearing kit and really happy with it.

Also check cable and line routing and make sure nothing is hanging up. It seems odd that a set of head bearings would be in bad enough shape to cause the steering to bind like that and not exhibit other symptoms during normal riding.

If it is the bearings then it's a little bit of a knuckle buster to replace them. I used the All Balls bearing kit and really happy with it.

Yea..agreed. But other than the fender like Jeff mentioned, or the cables as you said...what else could cause that?

Yea..agreed. But other than the fender like Jeff mentioned, or the cables as you said...what else could cause that?

Nothing obstructing the bars or forks then I cant imagine anything else it could be, besides these bearings have a lot to do with these massive bikes and all the years already gone by. I'll bet those bearings come out bone dry and probably knackered if they are rough enough to cause a head lock. I'm sure it's maintenance many folks overlook as it is a bit of a PITA to service them. I think you are absolutely correct not to ride again until it's sorted out.

As mentioned I used the All Balls Racing set and very pleased with quality and price. I figured if I was going through the labor to go in and service them I just as well aught to replace them with new since they were dern near 30 yrs old. BUT, I had to take my forks off and apart anyway so it seemed like the right thing at the right time.

I do think it would be easier to take the tree loose, enough to get the bearings visible and maybe remotely cleanable and greasable without a full tear down. I did the full tear down and it was enough work that I wasnt about to put old bearings back in there. Mine were dry and tired, created a noticeable shimmy and vagueness at parking lot speeds but never bound or threatened to lock up. Quite the opposite, it felt as if it would simply fall off the bike at some point in the near future. Having fresh forks and head bearings changes the entire nature of the bike.

Having fresh forks and head bearings changes the entire nature of the bike.

I couldn't agree more. The minute, subtle movements required to cruise in a straight line, combined with the uneven side load of head bearings can make a really slight defect very noticeable. Ive seen a couple of bikes that had damaged hearings that would feel just fine when turning from side to side at a stop, but under load felt like crap and couldnt steer a straight line. A damaged ball can work just fine until it rotates into that one position where it doesn't .

Head bearings are like brake internals, they're usually neglected until there is a noticeable issue. And in my opinion there is no such thing as a dry bearing that needs grease. I call that a bearing that needs to be replaced because it was run without adequate lubrication.

Tim