IGNORED

New and confused

Basher

Hi folks.

New to the forum and hoping to get a little help.

I have a 1992 1300 venture royal with a starting problem.

Basically it won't start. No fuel or spark.

If I keep switching it on and off eventually you bear something click

and it starts straight up. While messing around with it it seems

If I fiddle with the inline fuse next to the fuse box with the red

and blue wires it seems to make the click happen and away we go.

Please try to explain what could be wrong.

Many thanks, Bash

Welcome.. What the sound you hear with the clicking is the fuel pump kicking in once it sees power which gets it's power from the same source as the ignition system. Check the fuses, back sure they are tight as Yammer Dan stated. A lot of us on here have upgraded the fuse panel to the blade style of fuses and one of the members here does sell a kit to do that.

Also just check the connection to make sure they are clean and tight..

Take a look in the tech section in the forum for the 1st Gen, we call your bike, 86-93, a 1st gen MK 2, so look for items related for that.

Let us know how that goes and what other question you might have.

Rick F.

Yes that is the click I'm talking about and as soon as that activates it's all good. Checked all the glass fuses for continuity and the 5 in the fuse box were fine. There is the inline one next to the box which could be dodgy.

Will change everything over to spade and report back.

Thanks for the help guys.

Cheers Bash

Ok. Been to the bike this morning and you hear the fuel pump pressure up and all is well. Second time nothing. Is there some kind of pressure switch that energised the pump and ignition..

Thanks again, Bash

Ok. Been to the bike this morning and you hear the fuel pump pressure up and all is well. Second time nothing. Is there some kind of pressure switch that energised the pump and ignition..

Thanks again, Bash

The fuel pump only works when it needs to. Once the bowls are full, it won't work.

When it does run, it runs for only a few seconds then shuts off. This is a safety thing as well.

If our bikes are left sitting for a long time...then we turn the bike on...let the pump run. when it turns off, we turn off the ignition. Then turn it back on and let the pump do it's thing. Usually 2 times will completely fill the bowls. I use the stop switch to do that, some use the key.

If you haven't had a chance, head on over to the tech section for your bike and look for the link to download the manuals. Owners, service and parts manuals are available. Owners manual really answers many of your questions until you get to know the bike. If you don't find the answers, do feel free to jump in and ask. Lots of information also available in searching this forum. Also, make sure you check out the links at the bottom of your search pages...these are additional links that may be related to your search.

BTW, suggest you think seriously about spending $12 to become a member. That's only $12 a year. You won't find a more knowledgeable group of friends anywhere.

Edited by videoarizona
add