IGNORED

How to remove pinstriping

XV1100SE

At Maintenance Day a few years ago I had some pinstriping done (paint) on my trunk. I would like to remove it now. Suggestions on how to do it ?

Because it is paint on ABS... what to use without damaging the original paint underneath?

I have a stripe stripper but unless you are really careful it will chip off the original paint or get too hot. Seen recommendations to use oven cleaner, lacquer thinner, or something called "Smooth Max" ( http://www.graffitisolutions.com/products/smooth-max%C2%AE ).

At Maintenance Day a few years ago I had some pinstriping done (paint) on my trunk. I would like to remove it now. Suggestions on how to do it ?

Because it is paint on ABS... what to use without damaging the original paint underneath?

I have a stripe stripper but unless you are really careful it will chip off the original paint or get too hot. Seen recommendations to use oven cleaner, lacquer thinner, or something called "Smooth Max" ( http://www.graffitisolutions.com/products/smooth-max%C2%AE ).

Easy Off Oven Cleaner.

So, one of my daughters ran across a freshly yellow painted street line, we all know the results. I bought this stuff at Walmart, absolutely amazing. I even sprayed the treads of the tire and viola, very little scrub-brush work. and the paint had been on the car and tires a couple weeks. College kid no less.

https://www.amazon.com/KRUD-KUTTER-Graffiti-Remover-32-Ounce/dp/B000P0KNIE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1524312495&sr=8-4&keywords=graffiti+remover

Rubber wheel for grinder/drill you control th heat by pressure. Amazing tool

this is from grainger but auto stores have them also

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=112326

I have this Stripe Stripper but hesitant to use it on the ABS. I removed stripes from the plastic bumper on my Mustang and it heated too much and flecked paint off.

...wouldn't the mild heat setting on a good quality hairdryer lift that off easily and painlessly, without damaging anything?

Our local Yammy dealer suggested that to us for use on a old bike we'd purchased, to remove a bunch of stuck-on-crap. Worked like a dream, and relatively quick.

Rgs, WRIDR

I used oven cleaner....and it worked nicely. I was careful to keep the spray over the area of the pin striping, put some on, wiped it off....more spray....wipe off with a little elbow grease. Once the pin striping was off I prayed the area with bike cleaner, then more bike cleaner...and other than a faint outline it looks good.

If you recall, the trunk had " Venturerider.org" as well as both our names. Now that I split with Nancy I removed her name from the trunk.

I figured the odds of finding a new woman for my life that was named "Nancy" were pretty slim so until I find that new someone it is a clean slate.

If you recall, the trunk had " Venturerider.org" as well as both our names. Now that I split with Nancy I removed her name from the trunk.

I figured the odds of finding a new woman for my life that was named "Nancy" were pretty slim so until I find that new someone it is a clean slate.

That's reason I never got........"THAT TATTOO" !!!!! :Avatars_Gee_George:

I'm guessing easy off is the right choice and Jay (pin striper at MD) used it himself to remove one on my 84 before putting a new one on.. was very easy and came off clean. Just bag everything else and mask off the area.. Had some overspray that took awhile to clean up

Thanks to this thread, when I saw the guy who bought my old Malibu he asked me if I knew how to remove the pinstriping on it that is half gone, I answered "Easy Off Oven Cleaner." He went to the store and by evening all of the crappy half gone pinstriping was long gone! Worked like a charm!

(Note to self, if I decide to get any pinstriping done on the Impala, have somebody other than JBird do it...)

Jim I use Toluene for removing tape and molding glue and it does not affect the paint.

Thanks Slowrollwv, purchased a gallon and tried it this evening. It works but...I don't think I have that many years left to get 23 year old adhesive and foam off:confused24:. I will try re-heating and scraping with plastic razor blade and then toluene. I used brake cleaner earlier and had moderate success also.:thumbsup2:

:farmer: