IGNORED

Additional Smartkey proximity fob

I wanted to let everyone know that adding a secondary smartkey to your new venture can be easily done by yourself for a reasonable cost.

I researched the part # needed via Yamaha's parts website. The replacement smartkey is part # 2DF-86261-00-00. It is #36 on the parts diagram https://www.shopyamaha.com/parts-catalog/parts/street-mcy?nw=yamaha-motor-company#/Yamaha/STAR_VENTURE_-_XV19FJGY_-_2018/ELECTRICAL_2

I found it online for $170 shipped. It was backordered for a bit, but I finally received it yesterday. I followed the procedure from the service manual that is also posted in this forum for adding a smartkey. Now I have 2 working smartkeys!

I like to have a backup key for long trips just in case I lose one. I haven't yet lost one but you never know. When I had a Harley I would just remove the battery from the fob of the spare key. With the Venture, I will just turn off the smartkey that is the spare. By just turning it off I won't have to go through the hassle of opening the smartkey and removing the battery.

I wanted to let everyone know that adding a secondary smartkey to your new venture can be easily done by yourself for a reasonable cost.

I researched the part # needed via Yamaha's parts website. The replacement smartkey is part # 2DF-86261-00-00. It is #36 on the parts diagram https://www.shopyamaha.com/parts-catalog/parts/street-mcy?nw=yamaha-motor-company#/Yamaha/STAR_VENTURE_-_XV19FJGY_-_2018/ELECTRICAL_2

I found it online for $170 shipped. It was backordered for a bit, but I finally received it yesterday. I followed the procedure from the service manual that is also posted in this forum for adding a smartkey. Now I have 2 working smartkeys!

I like to have a backup key for long trips just in case I lose one. I haven't yet lost one but you never know. When I had a Harley I would just remove the battery from the fob of the spare key. With the Venture, I will just turn off the smartkey that is the spare. By just turning it off I won't have to go through the hassle of opening the smartkey and removing the battery.

Great info. Thanks!

I also got another smart key so I could have a spare and yes, you yourself can register it with the bike (up to six of them total) so you don't need to pay the dealer to do it. The instructions are in the service manual and start on page 7-154. Needless to say the instructions are a little vague in a couple of spots (or maybe it's just me) so I wanted to relate my experience.

Copy the six digit smart key identification number of the ORIGINAL smart key and have it at the ready. Then turn the original smart key off and take it in the house out of range of the bike. The instructions say that you can just turn it off but when I did that (and had it in my pocket) I kept getting an error that said I was trying to register an existing smart key. As soon as I moved the original smart key out of range of the bike I got past that error.

Step #3 says to perform steps (1) to (6) in "Smart Key System Emergency Mode" on page 7-153. It's actually steps (1) thru (7) and the smart key identification number that you need to enter is that of the original smart key, not the new one you are trying to register.

everything else went pretty much according to the instructions.

I hope this helps...