IGNORED

Welcome to beautiful Gananoque, Ontario, Canada...a great ride destination!

On this trip, we visited Gananoque, Ontario and spent three days there. One of the key draws to this region, well..is the very region itself...The Thousand Islands. Yes..there are a thousand islands in the St. Lawrence River, where it runs and fans out into Lake Ontario. If you were on a boat, and let's say going to Quebec City, Quebec, you'd have to pass right by all of them...and the Gananoque Boat Tour takes you out for over 4 hours, and for the price...is one heck of a great marine-on-water experience. Here is myself and the Mrs. snapping a few of the major views. We rode our 2008 Honda Gold Wing to a bed and breakfast...walked most everywhere...and simply had a ball. Then, on the way back to Toronto, did some time in downtown Kingston (also highly recommended for a ride 'n stay)

One of the key visits, is the island (Heart Island) that hosts the spectacular; Boldt Castle, of which you will see we visited on the marine tour. Very interesting history, of who/what/when/and why for this true castle amongst the Thousand Islands,...link below.

Final comment, while on the tour, you will (by tour guide) be given information about the various islands you cruise by...those owned by Hollywood movie stars, current and from the past. An island once owned by both Laurel and Hardy. Thousand Island Dressing? Told where that came from...and the circumstances of how it was (in a panic...) invented. A highly recommended and 'Joe' approved (lol), riding destination for two... BTW..some of the island homes, full time residency, or vacation for the rich....are in some cases, 2,000 sq feet, or more. Some...postage stamps, from never being renovated from the '20's and 30's. Bring money...lots of great dining and wine sipping opportunities,...plays to see...and oh...when you view the picture of a house that has a side house (PUB) attached to it...that was the bed and breakfast we stayed at. Our Wing was parked where you see at the farthest end of the front porch, a while picket gate. There was room for 4 bikes the size of Wings and Harley's. The rooms were fabulous...and you were right across from the live Play House...where half of the plays, are outside upon the water...with you viewing the actors from a grand balcony. That alone..was a highlight!

https://ganboatline.com/

http://www.boldtcastle.com/visitorinfo

https://boldtcastle.wordpress.com/stories/love-story/

And...Clayton, New York:

http://www.1000islands-clayton.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Clayton-NY.mp4?_=1

Important information for Canadian riders...if you want to visit Heart Island (Boldt Castle) you MUST have your Canadian Passports on your person. Without that, you will not be allowed to get off the boat originating from Gananoque, Ontario. Heart Island is American territory, and you will pass through U.S. Customs on the island.

So, without further ado...let me share some of the views with you, and perhaps entice you and the co-rider, to take it all in, yourselves! Hope you enjoy 'our' tour...:)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gananoque_1.jpg

Gananoque_10.jpg

Gananoque_100.jpg

Gananoque_101.jpg

Gananoque_102.jpg

Gananoque_103.jpg

Gananoque_104.jpg

Gananoque_105.jpg

Gananoque_106.jpg

Gananoque_107.jpg

Gananoque_108.jpg

Gananoque_109.jpg

Gananoque_11.jpg

Gananoque_110.jpg

Gananoque_111.jpg

Gananoque_112.jpg

Gananoque_113.jpg

Gananoque_114.jpg

Gananoque_115.jpg

Gananoque_117.jpg

Gananoque_118.jpg

Gananoque_119.jpg

Gananoque_12.jpg

Gananoque_120.jpg

Gananoque_121.jpg

Gananoque_122.jpg

Gananoque_123.jpg

Gananoque_124.jpg

Gananoque_125.jpg

Gananoque_126.jpg

Gananoque_127.jpg

Gananoque_128.jpg

Gananoque_129.jpg

Gananoque_13.jpg

Gananoque_130.jpg

Gananoque_131.jpg

Gananoque_132.jpg

Gananoque_133.jpg

Gananoque_134.jpg

Gananoque_135.jpg

Gananoque_136.jpg

Gananoque_137.jpg

Gananoque_138.jpg

Gananoque_14.jpg

Gananoque_15.jpg

Gananoque_16.jpg

Gananoque_17.jpg

Gananoque_18.jpg

Gananoque_19.jpg

Gananoque_20.jpg

Gananoque_21.jpg

Gananoque_22.jpg

Gananoque_23.jpg

Gananoque_24.jpg

Gananoque_25.jpg

Gananoque_26.jpg

Gananoque_27.jpg

Gananoque_28.jpg

Gananoque_29.jpg

Gananoque_30.jpg

Gananoque_31.jpg

Gananoque_32.jpg

Gananoque_33.jpg

Gananoque_34.jpg

Gananoque_35.jpg

Gananoque_36.jpg

Gananoque_37.jpg

Gananoque_38.jpg

Gananoque_39.jpg

Gananoque_4.jpg

Gananoque_40.jpg

Gananoque_41.jpg

Gananoque_42.jpg

Gananoque_45.jpg

Gananoque_49.jpg

Gananoque_5.jpg

Gananoque_51.jpg

Gananoque_52.jpg

Gananoque_53.jpg

Gananoque_54.jpg

Gananoque_55.jpg

Gananoque_57.jpg

Gananoque_58.jpg

Gananoque_59.jpg

Gananoque_6.jpg

Gananoque_60.jpg

Gananoque_61.jpg

Gananoque_62.jpg

Gananoque_64.jpg

Gananoque_65.jpg

Gananoque_66.jpg

Gananoque_67.jpg

Gananoque_68.jpg

Gananoque_69.jpg

Gananoque_7.jpg

Gananoque_70.jpg

Gananoque_71.jpg

Gananoque_72.jpg

Gananoque_73.jpg

Gananoque_74.jpg

Gananoque_75.jpg

Gananoque_76.jpg

Gananoque_79.jpg

Gananoque_8.jpg

Gananoque_80.jpg

Gananoque_81.jpg

Gananoque_82.jpg

Gananoque_83.jpg

Gananoque_84.jpg

Gananoque_85.jpg

Gananoque_87.jpg

Gananoque_88.jpg

Gananoque_9.jpg

Gananoque_91.jpg

Gananoque_92.jpg

Gananoque_93.jpg

Gananoque_94.jpg

Gananoque_95.jpg

Gananoque_96.jpg

Gananoque_97.jpg

Gananoque_98.jpg

Gananoque_99.jpg

Edited by YamahaParExcellence

WOW Great pics and looks like an awesome place to visit for a long weekend getaway. The buildings and stone work are truly amazing, certainly craftsmanship A+ for that era they were built in.

Thanks for sharing.

Quite welcome, enjoyed posting them. The area to my wife and I, is Ontario's answer to Sedona, Arizona. It's just like that...peaceful, has natural splendor, EVERYBODY is in a good mood around you...good vibes area/people just makes for a great long weekend, or even a one week stay.

• 2 weeks later...
WOW Great pics and looks like an awesome place to visit for a long weekend getaway. The buildings and stone work are truly amazing, certainly craftsmanship A+ for that era they were built in.

Thanks for sharing.

I just noticed that you are near Detroit, Michigan?

If so...and you maintain at least 65 mph, you can make it to Toronto in 3.75 hours (with a 15 minute, near London washroom and butt break). Then Gananoque is about 3 hours further east, beyond Toronto, so all in all for you from the border, would be just under a 7 hour ride.

I suggest while you are there, is that you also take in the Thousand Island Parkway...which is pretty spectacular by bike. One more suggestion, I suggest that you (if you already don't have one..or have never used one to date...) is to purchase a hard plastic side-stand base, so your bike won't sink into hot asphalt, or soft ground, or large gravel parking lots. I wouldn't leave home without one.

Hope you make the trip..and at this time of posting, for every U.S. dollar that you convert, you will get back $1.40. CND, or thereabout. That mitigates our higher gas prices, and most everything else, lodging, food is the same as in Michigan. A dollar here, a dollar there. You guys are lucky...for when Canadians go to your state...we get bent over the barrel, by our banks to convert. Enjoy , if my pictures enticed you! It's one of Ontario, Canada's destination jewels!

Finally, if you and your wife and or girlfriend are snorkel diver's...I suggest you find space to pack your fins, mask and snorkel. There are many 18th Century shipwrecks in the river that are easily snorkeling depth. The water is clear...and in July and August, around 68-75 F. You'd definitely want to pack both your bathing suits...for great swimming beaches all around. Again, enjoy...for I know that the both of you, or single...will.

Post Edit: If , for any reason, lodging can not be found, or you feel is too expensive for your tastes...you can also book into Kingston, Ontario which is about 25-30 KM's west of Ganaoque...so easily rideable between the town of Gan, and the city of Kingston. Kingston was an 18th Century British Naval Base, so there is much history to enjoy...300 year old buildings still in service today...(a few of those, I have as pictures above) the brick are actually of that era...some of the shop's floors as well) There is a British Fort (Naval) to also tour and explore the rich British history of the city. Heck...you will run out of TIME, before you run out of things to see, do, walk to...eat, sip...buy... You might need to go back, to pick up where you left off. It is truly one of our favorite places for a weekend or long weekend jaunt. Finally..this is a SPECTACULAR Fall Colors ride...for most of the larger trees are deciduous, and just flame out in Maple red! Can you tell, we love this place? LOL!

Edited by YamahaParExcellence

Thanks for the additional info. Yes we are west of Detroit / Ambassador bridge by about 30 miles. We have also made crossings at Port Huron / Sarnia depending on our destinations. We have plans in place currently to attend the VR rally -- http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?133953-2018-Ontario-Rally-July-19th-to-22nd . Maybe we'll see you there or other such gatherings.

Larry

I live right across the river (mighty St. Lawrence) from Gan on the US side in Clayton, NY (another great stop I might add.....). I also preside over a riding club “St. Lawrence Seaway Riders Group” with membership from Montreal, Ottawa down to and Lake Ontario, our membership is both US & Canadian. I just bought a new 2018 Venture TC and loving it, we have a couple other members with the new bike also. I’d/we’d be happy to help in any way to support future events or any individual visits to our area..... just give us a good heads up first. Thanks for this post and awesome pictures of the 1000 Islands!

http://www.1000islands-clayton.com/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/402219009880697/

Thanks,

Fergie