IGNORED

86 Carb problems

I have 2 86's. One has been sitting for a year while I got around to rebuilding starter. It runs but has issues at low rpms. Other bike I just bought has been sitting for a couple of years and needs carbs cleaned before I try to start it. Question is how hard is it fixing the carbs?

its mainly trying to get the passages clean and keeping the air jets and fuel jets seperate and in the right place. You will need a Number 3 Phillips to get the screws Of I used my 1/8 drive with the adapter on it that held screws. I then went to hardware store and bought the hex key screws.... My opinion the carbs are not hard at all. But there is some who struggle with them.

You can try a couple of things with the carbs..

One is call the shotgun method.. You basically remove come of the adjustment screws and use carb cleaner and compressed air to blow out the carbs passages. here is a link to another site that shows how to do it.. http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/shotgun.htm

While this is for the Vmax, we have the same carbs for the most part on our 86-93 VRs..

You could also try using some seafoam in the gas tank and running a can thru the carbs. I would start with fresh gas and put about half a can in first and top the tank out with gas. Run the bike for about 10 mins and then shut it off and let it sit overnight then get it out and drive it hard and you might see an improvement as you ride it around.

Just a couple of the things we have done here to get the bikes running.

Let us know if you have more questions on this..

Rick F.

Also, those aren't Phillips screws, they're JIS (Japanese industrial standard) which is why they're always stripped out. Grab a set of JIS drivers like the excellent ones made by Vessel and you'll be amazed at the difference, because they are square cut they won't cam out like a Phillips. They even work better with Phillips screws than a Phillips driver does.

I've removed countless screws on bikes that were rounded out by a Phillips bit,, by doing nothing more than using the correct JIS driver. Using a Phillips driver on a JIS fitting is like going after a head bolt with a worn 12 point socket. It might / usually / should work ...

Tim

Also, those aren't Phillips screws, they're JIS (Japanese industrial standard) which is why they're always stripped out. Grab a set of JIS drivers like the excellent ones made by Vessel and you'll be amazed at the difference, because they are square cut they won't cam out like a Phillips. They even work better with Phillips screws than a Phillips driver does.

I've removed countless screws on bikes that were rounded out by a Phillips bit,, by doing nothing more than using the correct JIS driver. Using a Phillips driver on a JIS fitting is like going after a head bolt with a worn 12 point socket. It might / usually / should work ...

Tim

I also have a full set of JIS screwdrivers and use them on everything. They are the only thing I use on my motorcycle now and I havent rounded a head off since starting to use them. I know they can be a little harder to find but well worth the hunt for a quality set of them.

Rick F.

I noticed Taz is on your friend list. He's in Montevallo & has rebuilt Venture carbs before.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?75252-checking-float-level-on-96-01-royal-star-28mm-carbs

There's a video available.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?119186-Bought-Carb-Rebuild-Video-by-Damon-Ferraiuolo&referrerid=9346

Last & probably least, I'm in Pell City & have 2 dead Ventures in my driveway.

If you want to get together & put them out of their misery let me know.

Bert