IGNORED

Serius XM questions...

Can anybody tell me...when you picked up your bike, was the Sirius XM trial subscription already initialized by the dealer?

Can you also comment as to the signal strength, it shows...like for instance if there is a highest icon of 3 bars...does your bike capture the sat signal at the '3 bar' level?

Any comments would be appreciated as I wait. I love Sirius XM and use it all the time on my portable unit. House, car, etc.

Edited by YamahaParExcellence

That's Sirius, not Serius. I will now put down my grammar/spelling nazi hat.

I get three bars right outside of my garage. The only time I've seen that signal go down (outside my garage) was in heavy cloud cover.

As for the trial, no, I didn't get a trial, but I moved an old subscription over immediately to the bike anyway. :whistling:

That's Sirius, not Serius. I will now put down my grammar/spelling nazi hat.

I get three bars right outside of my garage. The only time I've seen that signal go down (outside my garage) was in heavy cloud cover.

As for the trial, no, I didn't get a trial, but I moved an old subscription over immediately to the bike anyway. :whistling:

Thanks for the typo mistake head's-up, either that, or now being in my 60's, lol!

You didn't get a trial sub? You should have, at least in Canada it comes with a 3 month free sub. I'm playing around with the idea of either using on-board my Sirius (thank you!) portable, via the 12 volt plug in...and having it sit in the locked right side pocket, would need to modify, or have it gently closed to just touching the cable to the portable...but do I really want to have the bother and clutter? I still want it in the house and car...so would have to have 2 subscriptions...which is a pi** off! I guess the other thing one can do, would be to pay the reduced second subscriptions rate, but then add it onto your account in the Spring, and then delete it in the late Fall, for the big sleep. Choices...

Thanks for the '3 bars comment. That is great...one of the major problems with having Sirius on the Goldwing...was the wonky placement of the antenna, and most riders, merely stopped using the service, due to constant drop outs, or no signal at all! Great to read it is hot on the SVTC!

How 'bout the strength of the signal capture. This was always a sore spot on the Goldwings...very poorly placed antenna...and wonky to no signal strength. Many Wingers...simply stopped using the Serius radio, for that very reason.

Come to think of it, I have no idea where the XM Antenna is on the bike. That said, signal kicks in pretty quickly once the system has power. I've never had an issue with acquisition. And it's very nice to have tunes out in the mountains, where FM signals and smartphone internet access can be wanting...

Come to think of it, I have no idea where the XM Antenna is on the bike. That said, signal kicks in pretty quickly once the system has power. I've never had an issue with acquisition. And it's very nice to have tunes out in the mountains, where FM signals and smartphone internet access can be wanting...

Simply FANTASTIC! Thank you, friend!

"Music", to my ears, er..eyes.... :)

Thanks again. The excitement meter is ramping up...

What really shines for my usage M.O., is that not only music do I listen to...but love the talk -->Patriot channel, yep..I'm a Conservative, lol ....and Mark Levin...I'm a Mark Levin fan. To be able to tour hundreds of miles and still keep the same channel on, music or talk radio, sports (to listen to college or professional football, upon tour...is a fantastic infotainment option!) To think that neither my wife, or myself must be 'held' hostage' to either of our stream content, as was on the 2008 Wing...wow...what a powerful first for Yamaha! Wow....happy husband, and happy wife...as the miles fly by the rear tire....

You simply can't get this same level of obtainment, from even the cell phone and internet. Never mind the cost of account and download MB's.

BTW, and I'm sure you are already aware, that the Dual Zone Content can only be accessed by corded connection to the bike. No wireless capability at present, and probably never will be. Yamaha cited wireless band-width as the reason they could not also include this feature for BT, as the same reason for the bike to transmit to BT, Intercom traffic. Technically not available to them...

This radio will get well used... :)

BTW, and I'm sure you are already aware, that the Dual Zone Content can only be accessed by corded connection to the bike. No wireless capability at present, and probably never will be. Yamaha cited wireless band-width as the reason they could not also include this feature for BT, as the same reason for the bike to transmit to BT, Intercom traffic. Technically not available to them...

This is true. However, this can be overcome by using a couple of Sena Freewire adapters. See our other discussion in the Sirius thread.

Simply FANTASTIC! Thank you, friend!

"Music", to my ears, er..eyes.... :)

Thanks again. The excitement meter is ramping up...

What really shines for my usage M.O., is that not only music do I listen to...but love the talk -->Patriot channel, yep..I'm a Conservative, lol ....and Mark Levin...I'm a Mark Levin fan. To be able to tour hundreds of miles and still keep the same channel on, music or talk radio, sports (to listen to college or professional football, upon tour...is a fantastic infotainment option!) To think that neither my wife, or myself must be 'held' hostage' to either of our stream content, as was on the 2008 Wing...wow...what a powerful first for Yamaha! Wow....happy husband, and happy wife...as the miles fly by the rear tire....

You simply can't get this same level of obtainment, from even the cell phone and internet. Never mind the cost of account and download MB's.

This radio will get well used... :)

Actually, Bluetooth in most iterations, is not dual channel capable. IE, having two or more channels on the bike would mean two or more transceivers... Capable of transmit and receive simultaneously. Wireless bandwidth is available but the equipment is not....yet. But good to hear that the wireless capability is still there!

I had my Serius antenna in the front fairing of my RSV and it would cut out at certain direction....I moved it to handlebar and perfect reception! So if the 3rd Gen has a hidden xm antenna and gets great reception, then Yamaha engineering gets another "A"!!!

Actually, Bluetooth in most iterations, is not dual channel capable. IE, having two or more channels on the bike would mean two or more transceivers... Capable of transmit and receive simultaneously.

This is true. The way you get around this is two Freewires, one for the rider plugged into the rider cord socket, one for the passenger plugged into the passenger cord socket. Then each person pairs their headset with just their particular Freewire. It's an expensive way to go, but it works.

By the way: The 2018 Star Venture has a dual-zone audio feature. What this means is: For music sources (FM, AM, XM, Weather Radio, Bluetooth, Pandora, USB), you can choose to allow the passenger to listen to a different music source that the rider. So it's not dual-channel Bluetooth, it's a feature on the bike that can be use with wired headsets or, with the two Freewires, with Bluetooth headsets.

Edited by Zelthian
Added dual-zone explanation

This is true. The way you get around this is two Freewires, one for the rider plugged into the rider cord socket, one for the passenger plugged into the passenger cord socket. Then each person pairs their headset with just their particular Freewire. It's an expensive way to go, but it works.

By the way: The 2018 Star Venture has a dual-zone audio feature. What this means is: For music sources (FM, AM, XM, Weather Radio, Bluetooth, Pandora, USB), you can choose to allow the passenger to listen to a different music source that the rider. So it's not dual-channel Bluetooth, it's a feature on the bike that can be use with wired headsets or, with the two Freewires, with Bluetooth headsets.

Yep.. Love that dual zone feature on the 3rd Gen! That will solve many an issue with the lady not having to listen to our"stuff"!!!

I guess you can get around anything if you think upon a matter as you have done. Congrat's...but...but...near $500.00 (for two Freewires)...ouch! We both have the J&M 801 Elite series head-sets, and will be corded in connection. I only hope that that can mic-input (separate) by means of VOX command, C.B. traffic and Intercom traffic in a software update. I do know that it has been around a month, since the latest download version: 12.0.6. was taken down off the download site...(they site bug/problems as the reason) and have heard through the grape-vine, that they are working on a truly big tune/feature set update that will be released in its stead. Hopefully...they get it, that owners that have C.B. capability WOULD want to have that on to listen in the background to traffic/construction/back-up head's up chatter, and still carry on a conversation with the co-rider! Let's certainly hope so....

Just so ya know, the XM antenna is at the top of the fairing just under the windscreen. I sometimes have issues with dropouts in the morning when heading due North. I think that's because the satellite is behind me at that time of day, but I'm not sure. I do know that when I'm heading south in the evening on the same path, the dropouts are alot less.

I gave XM radio a try and really dislike the music choices, I found myself bouncing between channels a lot and still not liking the choices. I have an unlimited data plan on my phone so now I stream Pandora..... WOW so much better..... and only $5 a month. I can choose any of their hundreds of stations or make my own, plus comedy and more.... all with NO commercials. Also it hardly ever cuts out, unlike XM..... So long XM.

Fergie

I gave XM radio a try and really dislike the music choices, I found myself bouncing between channels a lot and still not liking the choices. I have an unlimited data plan on my phone so now I stream Pandora..... WOW so much better..... and only $5 a month. I can choose any of their hundreds of stations or make my own, plus comedy and more.... all with NO commercials. Also it hardly ever cuts out, unlike XM..... So long XM.

Fergie

That's the good thing, Fergie, everybody follows their choices! :) Enjoy!

Oddly enough, Yamaha did NOT include a trial of Sirius radio. Kinda cheap of them IMHO.

For those of you who have thousands of mp3’s Like me, you can put them on a USB and plug into USB1 (right front) and play all your own music.! TECH TIP: I was already on the horn with Yamaha about this & discovered what they couldn’t. IF you put the songs on a USB, you MUST open the properties of EACH SONG and verify the information is filled out. SPECIFICALLY the song TITLE, ARTIST, ALBUMN & GENRE. If you do that the infotainment system makes it searchable and you can play your music by GENRE or ARTIST etc, otherwise it just plays them in order. No seachability.

Hope the info helps!

Oddly enough, Yamaha did NOT include a trial of Sirius radio. Kinda cheap of them IMHO.

For those of you who have thousands of mp3’s Like me, you can put them on a USB and plug into USB1 (right front) and play all your own music.! TECH TIP: I was already on the horn with Yamaha about this & discovered what they couldn’t. IF you put the songs on a USB, you MUST open the properties of EACH SONG and verify the information is filled out. SPECIFICALLY the song TITLE, ARTIST, ALBUMN & GENRE. If you do that the infotainment system makes it searchable and you can play your music by GENRE or ARTIST etc, otherwise it just plays them in order. No seachability.

Hope the info helps!

They have included that for the Canadian purchaser. 3 months.

Just so ya know, the XM antenna is at the top of the fairing just under the windscreen. I sometimes have issues with dropouts in the morning when heading due North. I think that's because the satellite is behind me at that time of day, but I'm not sure. I do know that when I'm heading south in the evening on the same path, the dropouts are alot less.

Well that complies with what I found on my RSV.

I put my XM antenna inside the fairing directly under the windshield and got blocked only heading northbound. I've since moved the antenna to the handlebars and have perfect reception.

If the XM antenna installation is stock from Serius/XM, then you can easily either remove the antenna and move it or replace with handlebar mount designed for scoots.

That I don't know....

My '06 Titan came with a high end audio/gps system and included free XM lifetime... OK I'm sure that somebody paid for it originally.. I picked up the truck used and didn't even know it was there until I stumbled across it while pressing buttons. Even though I had reservations about XM in the past, that's all I now listen to. However, if I had to pay for it I'd probably go to something else... With all the hoo-haws the Neo-Venture comes with Ida thought Yamaha woulda included it...

My '06 Titan came with a high end audio/gps system and included free XM lifetime... OK I'm sure that somebody paid for it originally.. I picked up the truck used and didn't even know it was there until I stumbled across it while pressing buttons. Even though I had reservations about XM in the past, that's all I now listen to. However, if I had to pay for it I'd probably go to something else... With all the hoo-haws the Neo-Venture comes with Ida thought Yamaha woulda included it...

No the didn’t. As a matter of fact the SVTC Manual states HOW to subscribe but it wasn’t included even on a trial basis here in the states.

No the didn’t. As a matter of fact the SVTC Manual states HOW to subscribe but it wasn’t included even on a trial basis here in the states.

YES BUT, it should have for the price they sell the bike for.... Ironic... I paid 14K for the Titan with free XM. The V3 is twice that and they want to get in your wallet for even more... :mo money:

As a side note, the Nav also supports the SiriusXM Traffic feature. I've already had one case where it kicked in and suggested a different route based on traffic.

That is one benefit for sure. I will probably pay for the 6mos subscription soon. Been waiting until I know I have solid steady riding weather. I won’t pay for it if I can only ride once in a while.

BTW, what is a “Titan”??

Post Edit: Oh, you’re talking 4 wheels. Comparing apples to grapes.

Edited by ChiefGunner

3 months free when you subscribe, and you can cancel then with no charges if you want.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk