IGNORED

Wonky GPS

Have put about 1,400 miles in the SVTC. Completely different world than my 2002 and 2012 2nd gens. Love everything about thur bike, expect not impressed with the GPS.

Every once and awhile it gets stuck trying to calculate a route and then I have to fiddle with it to reset.

Sometimes the top right part of the screen tells me my next turn is left, but the map is clearly (and correctly) showing exit is to the right. First time this happened I pulled over to take a picture just to make sure I wasn't crazy.

In this picture it is telling me to exit left from the highway in 900 feet.

And finally, routes can only take up to 5 way points. What's up with that? Need 50 or more when planning ahead of time a trip that takes all the twisty roads instead of highway for a trip.

What do others think of the GPS system so far? c0584944b16a0d9430aa6c1ea7797e64.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has its limitations and quirks, to be sure. I don't think Yamaha planned or intended for the navigation system to be use for complicated routing; just more of a "how do I get from here to there" convenience. That would be my guest.

While I haven't run into the "map indicates turn right, turn indicator indicates left" issue, I have seen some wonkiness with the GPS speed indicator. Fortunately, the analog instruments always show the correct speed.

I'm looking forward to a software update. Hopefully some of these quirks will get ironed out.

It has its limitations and quirks, to be sure. I don't think Yamaha planned or intended for the navigation system to be use for complicated routing; just more of a "how do I get from here to there" convenience. That would be my guest.

While I haven't run into the "map indicates turn right, turn indicator indicates left" issue, I have seen some wonkiness with the GPS speed indicator. Fortunately, the analog instruments always show the correct speed.

I'm looking forward to a software update. Hopefully some of these quirks will get ironed out.

I read that it is on the way. Hopefully you guys can report any updates or add-on features, etc. We also want to see a clear separation between having both the Intercom and C.B. radio as active. Your (at present) Intercom traffic should NOT be broadcast live over whatever channel you are set to, on the C.B. , but unfortunately for now, that traffic does... Be warned!

Your (at present) Intercom traffic should NOT be broadcast live over whatever channel you are set to, on the C.B. , but unfortunately for now, that traffic does... Be warned!

Yeah, I noticed this reading the infotainment manual. Very disappointing. With the Sena Freewires I've ordered up, I believe I have a work-around. :happy34:

Yeah, I noticed this reading the infotainment manual. Very disappointing. With the Sena Freewires I've ordered up, I believe I have a work-around. :happy34:

Be careful with that, lol...for you will be only wireless, transmitting to the bike..but then the bike will see that as 'mic input'...and that I still think will be sent to whatever radio is active and on-line. I'd check for sure, before you realize you are on a Tennessee Party Line, no matter via cord, or Bluetooth, lol!

Cheers,

Joe

Be careful with that, lol...for you will be only wireless, transmitting to the bike..but then the bike will see that as 'mic input'...and that I still think will be sent to whatever radio is active and on-line. I'd check for sure, before you realize you are on a Tennessee Party Line, no matter via cord, or Bluetooth, lol!

True. But my plan is to use the headsets for intercom (bypassing the bike intercom). That way, I only have to use the PTT on the bike for CB, and our intercom conversations are completely free of the need to use the PTT button.

True. But my plan is to use the headsets for intercom (bypassing the bike intercom). That way, I only have to use the PTT on the bike for CB, and our intercom conversations are completely free of the need to use the PTT button.

Yeah..I see that that might work...BT for for blah, blah.. helmet to helmet wireless transmission, and then you are as you say, still corded into the bike for PTT transmit over the C.B.

You go, guy...well thought out...but one thing that I don't quite get. Ok..let's say you are corded into your J&M headset...how do you also have a blue tooth connection to the same channel? Wouldn't one cancel out the other? If not...how are you going to feed your BT, to the J&M, or are you going have to thread two speakers..side by side into the helmet space...the speakers that come with your BT set up to hear, and receive your BT Intercom traffic? That's the only way this guy sees you doing this...no?

Ok..let's say you are corded into your J&M headset...how do you also have a blue tooth connection to the same channel? traffic? That's the only way this guy sees you doing this...no?

I mentioned the Sena Freewire. That's the key here. The Freewire is a wired-to-bluetooth adapter. So the setup is:

Sena Headset (30K) -> Sena Freewire -> Cord to bike -> Infotainment System

Sena Freewire Info: https://www.sena.com/product/freewire/

I mentioned the Sena Freewire. That's the key here. The Freewire is a wired-to-bluetooth adapter. So the setup is:

Sena Headset (30K) -> Sena Freewire -> Cord to bike -> Infotainment System

Sena Freewire Info: https://www.sena.com/product/freewire/

Oh...warning...like the robot on Lost in Space...warning....then the end bottom line, is that you are STILL going to be under the auspices of the bike's 'corded' system...and you are only transmitting in BT-free...TO the infotainment system. That being...then you still have the end result of having the INFOTAINMENT system software (at present confg) sending all that mic channel traffic----> (your helmet to helmet BT) out upon the Infotainment mic routing channel...both Intercom AND C.B., even if you are not hearing it through the cord...but still cooking it out to the C.B., if that radio is also set to on. Robot...Robbie...warning, lol!

Let's hope you get what you intend...the separation..but now how you explain it...you are in control of wirelessly---> getting it to the bike's Infotainment system, but the bike still will process that mic info, no matter how the front end got it there!!!! I still believe so...but hope for you, that you're going to get true separation of state and religion, lol. Good luck, Zelth!

Joe

Edited by YamahaParExcellence

the bike still will process that mic info, no matter how the front end got it there!!!! I still believe so

You CAN turn the intercom and VOX off in the comm settings on the bike. Once you do that (and turn the CB on), then only thing the bike will use the mic for will be for the CB and the voice control, both which will then require using the PTT button to activate.

You CAN turn the intercom and VOX off in the comm settings on the bike. Once you do that (and turn the CB on), then only thing the bike will use the mic for will be for the CB and the voice control, both which will then require using the PTT button to activate.

Ah...got it...ok...then you're a winner! Let us know how that all works out. Good go...forgot that you have sub-menus on those features...

Wait a minute...er...if you turn off those features...then you will still be back to how to hear your wireless content..that now will not be heard through your J&M speakers, for your Intercom traffic. You'd now have to also install your BT helmet speakers as well. Is there enough room in the helmet recess for this?

Wait a minute...er...if you turn off those features...then you will still be back to how to hear your wireless content..that now will not be heard through your J&M speakers, for your Intercom traffic. You'd now have to also install your BT helmet speakers as well. Is there enough room in the helmet recess for this?

There are no J&M speakers in this equation. There are only bluetooth headsets.

The Infotainment system sends the audio out via the wired plug. The Sena Freewire plugs into the wired plug and translates the audio to bluetooth, which is then sent to the wireless headset.

The wireless headset has the capability to perform headset-to-headset intercom and BT audio (in this case, the signal the Freewire is sending from the bike) simultaneously.

There are no J&M speakers in this equation. There are only bluetooth headsets.

The Infotainment system sends the audio out via the wired plug. The Sena Freewire plugs into the wired plug and translates the audio to bluetooth, which is then sent to the wireless headset.

The wireless headset has the capability to perform headset-to-headset intercom and BT audio (in this case, the signal the Freewire is sending from the bike) simultaneously.

Got it! Understand the logic flow. Thank you. Very clever, until hopefully, a software rewrite for just corded connections that I wish to only run with. A very good and developed discussion, Zelth. Cheers!

Joe

When I picked up my SVTC in late December, there was a software update that had been put out shortly before the bike was delivered. Please check your version to make sure the dealership installed it before they delivered it. I’m having ZERO problems with my Nav system. Haven’t tried the multiple “waypoints” yet as was mentioned. One of the things that IRKS me is that you can’t save stuff by name. INLY by the address. Also, you have to enter in your country and state each time. You would think it would know that or at least default to the country you’re in. Supposedly a huge update coming. I hope it resolves ALL these issues!

in case you didn’t know, you can put all your mp3’s On a stick and plug it in the USB1 (rht front) and it will play all your songs. NOTE: Be sure to go into EACH SONG and make sure the data is filled in correctly ie Title, Artist, Album, Genre or it WILL NOT Be searchable. If you set it up correctly, it’s awesome!

I like the system so far.

I believe the maker of the infotainment is the same one that did the Harley infotainment system. I had a '14 Harley with their infotainment system and there were a lot of issues with it to begin with. The same issue of occasionally telling you to turn one direction but the screen showing another happens on the Harleys too. I generally just rely on the map itself, not the spoken directions. I will say that the refinements and features of the Yamaha system is much better than the Harley's. That is my opinion from having owned both.

I have had a couple issues with both systems where the audio (primarily siriusxm) would stop functioning. The only way to get it back was to shut off the bike, wait a few seconds and start it back up. Basically rebooting a computer.

IS THAT LEGAL COWPUC :080402gudl_prv: :fingers-crossed-emo

Well certainly Drews,,, at least here in the State of Michigan its legal... Now,,,, in some places like the State of California - maybe not... The reason I say that is cause I recall an ad I seen once for motorcycles years ago that, at the end of the ad they said something like:

"dealer prep and associated costs may differ in the State of California" and since hearing that as a youngen, I always give myself that elbow room when answering a question like yours :big-grin-emoticon:

YES LIKE A WHITE HELMENT IN CALIFORNIA YOU FORGOT THAT ONE :nanner:

Ohhhhh nooo I didnt :Avatars_Gee_George: :mo money::hurts:,,,,, it was deeply wrapped in my California comment :thumbsup2: and somehow,, someway,, I think you already knew that ya lop eared Hot Dog munchin varmint :Bunny: