IGNORED

Wonky GPS

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YES I DID THANK YOU :You_Rock_Emoticon::sign Rock On: & THANK YOU FOR THE MONEY :mo money:

You betcha!!!!

By the way,,, as tempting as it may be,,, I wouldN'T spend any of it on Hot Dogs brother = something tells me that our free Hot Dog future looks VERY promising :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::missingtooth:

Wanna hear something WAYYY cool Drews? Last year Tip, Tweeksis and I stopped in Fremont Mi for one of our free Dogs on our way out to Sturgis.. One of our treasured "employees" noticed we were all tented up and asked where we were headed.. After telling em about what we were up to and giving the lady a big hug and a GIANT thank you for all the great parties and also for the little bags of Jerky we had munched on with their name on it while traveling in the past,,,,, she walked over and grabbed two great big handfuls of jerky and gave them to us to enjoy on the trip... Headed out with a tummy full of fresh 1/4 pound Hot Dogs and saddle bags topped off with Beef Jerky!!!!!!!!!!!:missingtooth::thumbsup:

Edited by cowpuc
forgot the N'T on the end of the word WOULD!!

Actually,, there are may be a small number of us V-4 lovers who might not totally agree with that Wildman:missingtooth:!!

I totally understand this is a Yamaha Venture site that's what brought me here. I also liked the sound of my previous 06 Venture a lot like a Shelby Mustang winding out thru the gears.

• 2 weeks later...

More GPS wonkyness...

This time it was telling me a 45 minute drive was going to take well over an hour. I knew where I was going. It directed me on the best route the entire way there, but kept giving wonky ETA updates. Pulled over and took this shoot when I was a little less than 1/2 a mile away. You can actually see the destination flag in the picture. Notice the current time was 10:21 and ETA was 11:25.

Guess the GPS thought I was going to push the bike that last 1/2 mile!

b588c9e973e1034b5d76730cbb928edb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Have put about 1,400 miles in the SVTC. Completely different world than my 2002 and 2012 2nd gens. Love everything about thur bike, expect not impressed with the GPS.

Every once and awhile it gets stuck trying to calculate a route and then I have to fiddle with it to reset.

Sometimes the top right part of the screen tells me my next turn is left, but the map is clearly (and correctly) showing exit is to the right. First time this happened I pulled over to take a picture just to make sure I wasn't crazy.

In this picture it is telling me to exit left from the highway in 900 feet.

And finally, routes can only take up to 5 way points. What's up with that? Need 50 or more when planning ahead of time a trip that takes all the twisty roads instead of highway for a trip.

What do others think of the GPS system so far? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180414/c0584944b16a0d9430aa6c1ea7797e64.jpg

What software version do you have on your bike??

R11.9.08

Unfortunately there’s no download available on Yamaha to the public. The dealership DOES have access. You should be running VERSION R12.0.5

That update came out in Mid January and I’ve had no issues with my Nav system.

R11.9.08

Unfortunately there’s no download available on Yamaha to the public. The dealership DOES have access. You should be running VERSION R12.0.5

That update came out in Mid January and I’ve had no issues with my Nav system.

Well, what do you know, I have outdated software as well. I know what I'm doing Tuesday...

Well, what do you know, I have outdated software as well. I know what I'm doing Tuesday...

Sounds like a good idea! I’m haven’t had any problems with GPS. I don’t like that you can’t save any item by name, only the address. Hopefully they’ll address that soon as well. They are also aware that you can CURRENTLY only save 5 way points when planning a trip. That’s pretty anemic considering it’s a TOURING machine.

Like I said, Yamaha is aware & working on that as well.

As a new member and new owner of a 2018 Star Venture TC I am hoping I can get some advice on a couple of things that I have not been able to resolve for my bike. First I have not been able to get my GPS activated. I have read the manual and all of the instructions about using the infotainment center and nothing in there properly describes how to actually get the GPS activated. I was provided with an activation card with a code by the dealership which does provide the address for the site on the back of the card to visit to begin the process. It notes using a 16GB USB device to save a "motorcycle fingerprint" and then instructs you to download the proper operation system version of Yamaha Toolbox to your PC so that it can be added to the USB for transfer back to the bike. I did both of these things however the application would not "start" either on a PC or a MAC as suggested using the Yamaha Toolbox instructions. When I re-read the instructions I noticed that they mention a Yamaha USB key. I have contacted two local dealerships, including the one where I bought my bike and they have no idea what I am talking about as they have not yet received their training on this newest Star Venture TC model from Yamaha. Can anyone advise whether I need to get a specific USB from the dealership to use to activate the GPS or if there is something else I need to be doing? Very frustrating.

Secondly this bike is equipped with a backup camera. I have gone into the setting on the infotainment center and have it turned on (checkmark) however when I put the bike in reserve nothing happens. Any thoughts on this one?

These are the only two problems I've had so far - otherwise bike works great and is a beautiful bike to ride.

As a new member and new owner of a 2018 Star Venture TC I am hoping I can get some advice on a couple of things that I have not been able to resolve for my bike. First I have not been able to get my GPS activated. I have read the manual and all of the instructions about using the infotainment center and nothing in there properly describes how to actually get the GPS activated. I was provided with an activation card with a code by the dealership which does provide the address for the site on the back of the card to visit to begin the process. It notes using a 16GB USB device to save a "motorcycle fingerprint" and then instructs you to download the proper operation system version of Yamaha Toolbox to your PC so that it can be added to the USB for transfer back to the bike. I did both of these things however the application would not "start" either on a PC or a MAC as suggested using the Yamaha Toolbox instructions. When I re-read the instructions I noticed that they mention a Yamaha USB key. I have contacted two local dealerships, including the one where I bought my bike and they have no idea what I am talking about as they have not yet received their training on this newest Star Venture TC model from Yamaha. Can anyone advise whether I need to get a specific USB from the dealership to use to activate the GPS or if there is something else I need to be doing? Very frustrating.

Secondly this bike is equipped with a backup camera. I have gone into the setting on the infotainment center and have it turned on (checkmark) however when I put the bike in reserve nothing happens. Any thoughts on this one?

These are the only two problems I've had so far - otherwise bike works great and is a beautiful bike to ride.

Two things here Bussman. Firstly, your dealership should have already done the GPS activation PRIOR to delivering the bike. Mine did. Secondly, I’ve been addressing the camera issue on another thread in Tech Talk. You can find updated info on it there.

I, too, have been disappointed in the GPS. I love the size and information it presents, but the limitation of accepting only 5 way points is very disappointing for the type of back road touring I like to do. I'm hoping future updates will correct this.

I solved the wireless headset link with the Sierra SMH10 interface for the Harley Davidson (https://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SIE-SNA-HD-SMH10). I had the Gold Wing version previously, and this works just the same on the new Venture.

Two things here Bussman. Firstly, your dealership should have already done the GPS activation PRIOR to delivering the bike. Mine did. Secondly, I’ve been addressing the camera issue on another thread in Tech Talk. You can find updated info on it there.

Forgot to mention, your SVTC should have come with a 16GB USB stick. Mine did. I’m seeing a consistency here in that the VAST MAJORITY of people having issues with the SVTC are CANADIAN residents. Nothing wrong with you guys, but your dealerships in a word “suck”.

Forgot to mention, your SVTC should have come with a 16GB USB stick. Mine did. I’m seeing a consistency here in that the VAST MAJORITY of people having issues with the SVTC are CANADIAN residents. Nothing wrong with you guys, but your dealerships in a word “suck”.
Interesting. Mine did not come with a USB stick. Purchased in Virginia from a dealer that knew less about the bike than I did. A bit of an argument with buddy trying to sell me 5 year extended warranty.

Did they hand you the USB stick? Or was it on the bike somewhere?

Interesting. Mine did not come with a USB stick. Purchased in Virginia from a dealer that knew less about the bike than I did. A bit of an argument with buddy trying to sell me 5 year extended warranty.

Stopped at my dealer today, I was running R12.0.06 and he uploaded a R12.0.06 revision. Also showed me trick to disable the alarm system so you won’t go nuts while working on the bike. Open the gas lid, the alarm will go off until the next time the ignition is turned on. Got my service manual, should have ordered a magnifying glass to read the wiring diagrams though. I did not get a mem stick on delivery but everything was working and loaded. I am very happy with my dealer, I don’t care how much the bike costs, their level of support is priceless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine was a very nice one attached to the key fob. It also has a spare emergency key as well as the key order number tag all on the key ring.

I had found a copy of the owners manual online MONTHS before I got my bike and had read up on it. Like you, I knew more about how the functions worked than the dealership did! A plus for me, but also helped me to recognize when/if something wasn’t right.

Stopped at my dealer today, I was running R12.0.06 and he uploaded a R12.0.06 revision. Also showed me trick to disable the alarm system so you won’t go nuts while working on the bike. Open the gas lid, the alarm will go off until the next time the ignition is turned on. Got my service manual, should have ordered a magnifying glass to read the wiring diagrams though. I did not get a mem stick on delivery but everything was working and loaded. I am very happy with my dealer, I don’t care how much the bike costs, their level of support is priceless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here as far as customer service. I got mine at Team Charlottte Mororsports in Charlotte, NC. They’re not the biggest dealership, but they had the best service ratings in the area.

VERSION 12.0.06 had some bugs so they pulled it from Yamaha download. Kinda glad I got 12.0.05. Haven’t had any “buggy” issues.

Edited by ChiefGunner

I called my dealership today to ask about the firmware update. They called their Yamaha dealer support/relations folks, who conferred with their technicians. This resulted in two statements to the dealer from Yamaha:

- Yamaha wouldn't give the dealer any of the previous firmwares, stating there are bugs/issues with all of them (even though they specifically asked for 12.05)

- They are expecting to release the updated firmware in the next two weeks or so

Take that last bit of info with a big grain of salt, as usual. I work in software, and I always append timeframes of software releases with "-ish".

I called my dealership today to ask about the firmware update. They called their Yamaha dealer support/relations folks, who conferred with their technicians. This resulted in two statements to the dealer from Yamaha:

- Yamaha wouldn't give the dealer any of the previous firmwares, stating there are bugs/issues with all of them (even though they specifically asked for 12.05)

- They are expecting to release the updated firmware in the next two weeks or so

Take that last bit of info with a big grain of salt, as usual. I work in software, and I always append timeframes of software releases with "-ish".

Thanka for the update. I’ve got .05 on mine and haven’t had any issues. That’s weird. Looking forward to the next software update.

• 2 weeks later...
Have you guys tried the Yamaha Toolkit? (http://yamaha-mapupdate.naviextras.com/web/downloadagent)

Once I figured out how to configure a thumb drive as a "USB kay", it seems to work pretty well at checking to see if there are updates for the GPS maps.

I had issues with my GPS on the Eluder locking up. After many trips to dealership and conferences with Yamaha techs, they issued a beta-update and had the dealer apply it to the gps. It is working fine now. They said that they were going to release it to all the dealers shortly. This update does not include a map update. They say they will be issuing 1 free map update in the near future, after that it will be about $100 for each new map update.