IGNORED

Headlight LED bulb replacement installation question

I'm upgrading to a new LED headlight bulb. Bulb fits fine but I am unable to get the rubber boot over the heatsink on the LED bulb. Has anyone else had similar issues when upgrading? Reviews on the vendors website indicate this bulb has been installed on a Venture successfully.

Is the boot necessary or can it be left off? Suppose I could cut it to make it slip over. Picture attached showing new bulb in housing, old one removed, boot in hand. Any help or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks JR

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/motorcycle-high-beam-and-low-beam-headlight-bulb/motorcycle-led-headlight-conversion-kit-h4-led-headlight-bulb-conversion-kit-with-compact-heat-sink/3930/8566/#/tab/Reviews

Headlight.jpg

Since you are using a bulb with a fan, it is probably best to just forget about the boot. In my case, bulb had heat sink and was smaller.

I cut a slit in boot and then caulked it when in position. Rode 38 days in 114* heat out West last summer with no smell of rubber. :biker:

Thanks for all the input. Lots of us doing this upgrade so I appreciate the feedback. I look forward being able to have better lighting at night. Seems superbright in the daylight so hopefully cagers will see us coming too.

There is no fan on this bulb. So melting the rubber maybe a concern. Don't want water getting in there either.

I will contact the company and check what they have to say and update the post with pics.

JR

If you cover the heatsink, where will the heat go? In order to work a heatsink needs good airflow to be able to get rid of the heat.

Think of a heatsink like a bathroom sink, you can keep putting water (heat) in as long as the drain (airflow to take the heat away from the sink) is open to let it out , if the drain is closed (airflow cut off) the sink will get full, if you keep putting in more water (heat) the sink will overflow (overheat). When an LED over heats it life span will shorten.

Agreed Jeff. Dont want to compromise the heatsink in any way. I just had a chat with the Superbright LED rep who really had no opinion. They say the heatsink will get to 100 F. So its a personal choice.

I think I will try to modify the boot so it covers the bulb where it goes in the housing but does not comprimise the heatsink. Dont want water in the headlight housing.

Time will tell.

Does anybody have any experience with different lighting such as the LED shown in this post compared to a new full LED headlight such as the one I linked to here. I'm thinking of changing mine out and would like to get some feedback from others who may have used different systems and their opinion on them. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162680341358?_trksid=p2380057.m570.l5999&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI162680341358.N36.S1.R2.TR3

Does anybody have any experience with different lighting such as the LED shown in this post compared to a new full LED headlight such as the one I linked to here. I'm thinking of changing mine out and would like to get some feedback from others who may have used different systems and their opinion on them. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162680341358?_trksid=p2380057.m570.l5999&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI162680341358.N36.S1.R2.TR3

Looks interesting, hopefully someone will have some exp. with this type replacement.

Craig

Search. It looks like the same mounting the Daymaker might use. For the RSV, that would require some changes to the original mount in addition to buying another inside mount to attach to our bucket.

It is doable as others have mounted the Daymaker type LED.

Found one link...

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?120273-New-LED-passing-lamp-and-headlamp

Edited by videoarizona
add link

A headlight designed to be LED will almost always way out perform stuffing a LED bulb into a Halogen housing.

There are very few cases of stuffing a LED bulb in a halogen housing that will still have a proper beam pattern.

You are 100% correct Mr. Fool. I put a fan cooled one in my Venture and after all adjusting is done the low beam is OK but the high beam is just for squirrel hunting. :think:

:farmer:

A headlight designed to be LED will almost always way out perform stuffing a LED bulb into a Halogen housing.

There are very few cases of stuffing a LED bulb in a halogen housing that will still have a proper beam pattern.

Flyinfool

I was thinking along those lines. Just curious if you have used one of the designed LED headlights? If so what your thoughts are?

Search. It looks like the same mounting the Daymaker might use. For the RSV, that would require some changes to the original mount in addition to buying another inside mount to attach to our bucket.

It is doable as others have mounted the Daymaker type LED.

Found one link...

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?120273-New-LED-passing-lamp-and-headlamp

Thanks for the link.

Flyinfool

I was thinking along those lines. Just curious if you have used one of the designed LED headlights? If so what your thoughts are?

I have not owned a LED specific head light YET. But I have been around some that were. The lights designed to be LED are really great.

Would be interesting to see pics of the low and high beam patterns for various LED headlight installations.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?131924-Nighttime-road-shots-with-new-LED-bulb

this is mine I cant find the thread where I mention the make of bulb, but most if not all the time I ride with just the low on. High beam is just too tunneled.