IGNORED

Carb Issues on my 86 Venture Royale

Hello guys, I am new to this forum. I am a second time owner of a Yamaha Venture 86 Royale. My first one served me well until the dreaded second gear issue. When I purchased my new one it had been sitting. It started up, ran very rough and blew gas out the overflow hose of 2 carbs. I decided to buy carb kits and attempted to clean the carbs per a tutorial on this site. Now that I have finally gotten everything back together, when trying to start one of the Carbs is blowing a lot of gas out the top main air jet. Any help or tips would be very appreciated in trying to figure this out. Thank you

Check to see if the carb vent lines are plugged. They can plug causing the air to get trapped in the float chamber and the float will not rise to close the fuel. Took a while to figure that out on an 88 I worked over a couple years ago.

Has a nice little spring of gas spraying up on the top of the carb where the air should be going in.

Good luck

Check to see if the carb vent lines are plugged. They can plug causing the air to get trapped in the float chamber and the float will not rise to close the fuel. Took a while to figure that out on an 88 I worked over a couple years ago.

Has a nice little spring of gas spraying up on the top of the carb where the air should be going in.

Good luck

Thank you, That is exactly what its doing. I am going to take the carbs back out tomorrow. Do you happen to know where the vent hole is or where I should look for it?

The vents hoses are the 4 black hoses off the top of the carbs, you don't need to remove the carbs. Take the air box off and these are the four black hoses going toward the back of the bikes. They go over the frame and are open ended down in front of the rear tire. Hope that solves the problem.

Welcome! Did all the needles and seats look good, floats move freely? All float levels set? You can check float levels wet without tearing into it again. I dry set mine according to the Factry Pro website for Vmax (same spec) and they all landed where they belong. Did you buy Chinese rebuild kits? If you replaced needles amd seats with Chinese parts it may never be right until replaced with Japanese stuff. If you run it w/o the air box/filter it will be funky. Were you able to run it long enough to synch the carbs, again with air filter/box in place. Im just throwing stuff out there fishing for more info and hopefully a way to help.

The vents hoses are the 4 black hoses off the top of the carbs, you don't need to remove the carbs. Take the air box off and these are the four black hoses going toward the back of the bikes. They go over the frame and are open ended down in front of the rear tire. Hope that solves the problem.

I will check that. The weird thing is that the particular carb that is spraying out the top is why I took them out to clean. That vent line your talking about was spilling gas out the bottom of the bike when it was started up. Its the only carb that was doing that. Now its not draining out the vent and instead is blowing out the top like you said.

Welcome! Did all the needles and seats look good, floats move freely? All float levels set? You can check float levels wet without tearing into it again. I dry set mine according to the Factry Pro website for Vmax (same spec) and they all landed where they belong. Did you buy Chinese rebuild kits? If you replaced needles amd seats with Chinese parts it may never be right until replaced with Japanese stuff. If you run it w/o the air box/filter it will be funky. Were you able to run it long enough to synch the carbs, again with air filter/box in place. Im just throwing stuff out there fishing for more info and hopefully a way to help.

Everything looked good and the new kits were from Japan. I dont know how to check the float levels without tearing back into it. If you have a link on how to dry set, that would be great. I have the gauges to sync the carbs but have not gotten that far yet. Thanks for the response.

Everything looked good and the new kits were from Japan. I dont know how to check the float levels without tearing back into it. If you have a link on how to dry set, that would be great. I have the gauges to sync the carbs but have not gotten that far yet. Thanks for the response.
Im trying to get links to work on my phone but its stumping me. Google search "factory pro vmax float level". It will bring you to it. I set both my Venture and Vmax to the leanest end of the range with great results. The V4 responds very well to being a tad lean rather than a tad rich.As for wet checking it is outlined in the service manual, there is a free download somewhere. I cant find it but it involves removing the carb drain hoses and using a clear hose looped upward and opening the drain screw and reading fuel level through the clear hose, one at a time. The hose fills with fuel to the level of the fuel in the bowl, there is a landmark on the side of the carb the level should be close too. Bike must be level, prime up the carbs by cy ling the fuel pump a time or two. Engine off. I hope someone else can link this, I have a feeling I'm butchering it haha.

Im trying to get links to work on my phone but its stumping me. Google search "factory pro vmax float level". It will bring you to it. I set both my Venture and Vmax to the leanest end of the range with great results. The V4 responds very well to being a tad lean rather than a tad rich.As for wet checking it is outlined in the service manual, there is a free download somewhere. I cant find it but it involves removing the carb drain hoses and using a clear hose looped upward and opening the drain screw and reading fuel level through the clear hose, one at a time. The hose fills with fuel to the level of the fuel in the bowl, there is a landmark on the side of the carb the level should be close too. Bike must be level, prime up the carbs by cy ling the fuel pump a time or two. Engine off. I hope someone else can link this, I have a feeling I'm butchering it haha.

I am going to check this all out tomorrow. I do however have another question. The needle that the float pushes has a little piece of wire like spring on the end of it clipped on. Does this piece wrap around the piece of the float that pushes on the needle? The old ones didnt have these little clips on them so i wasnt sure if the wrap around or if the float tab just sits on them. Hope you understand with my description.

Here is a link to the service manual for the 86 Venture... http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?3384-First-Gen-Service-Manuals

Go to the link in the link and it will take you to where to download the service manual as a PDF file. There is a section in there on rebuilding the carbs and how to check the float level with the carbs on the bike.

To me it sounds like you have a float the is stuck open and letting the gas push out the overflow tube.

here is another link to some more information... http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?66468-Float-levels

And here is a link to that Casey was telling you about... http://www.factorypro.com/Prod_Pages/prody11.html

Also when you rebuilt them, did you take off the jet block and check the rubber plug in the bottom of it. They should be tight in the holes and not fall out, if so they need to be replaced.

Let us know how it goes..

Rick F.

First off I would like to thank everyone for helping me with my Carbs. After some suggestions I took the carbs back off and opened the one that was spraying. I cleaned it and blew it out again. I replaced the new air jet with one of the old ones. Float looked fine and I checked again for cracks and such. No issues. After putting everything back together and priming for quite a while, I got the bike to start with no gas spraying out. Now on to the next step. I have attached a video of the bike running. It is sputtering, and when you try and give it a little gas it bogs down. The little sputters are releasing a little puff of smoke on all four carbs so at least I know they are all burning gas. Now my question..... Judging from the video, what do you think the problem will be. Does this look like a sync issues? I havent synced carbs before but I am going to take a crack at it tomorrow after I pick up some vacuum gauges. As always any help is greatly appreciated. Here is the link of the video...

First off I would like to thank everyone for helping me with my Carbs. After some suggestions I took the carbs back off and opened the one that was spraying. I cleaned it and blew it out again. I replaced the new air jet with one of the old ones. Float looked fine and I checked again for cracks and such. No issues. After putting everything back together and priming for quite a while, I got the bike to start with no gas spraying out. Now on to the next step. I have attached a video of the bike running. It is sputtering, and when you try and give it a little gas it bogs down. The little sputters are releasing a little puff of smoke on all four carbs so at least I know they are all burning gas. Now my question..... Judging from the video, what do you think the problem will be. Does this look like a sync issues? I havent synced carbs before but I am going to take a crack at it tomorrow after I pick up some vacuum gauges. As always any help is greatly appreciated. Here is the link of the video...
My bike runs like a champ, but when I run it without tbe air box and filter it does that exactly. Reinstall your air box and filter, make sure you snug all the screws down and try again. Its normal for this to happen with open carbs. On synching, they do need it if they were off the bike, im very particular about keeping them synched up. It makes a big diff in idle, off-ifle and low RPM operation depending on how far out they are. I do it once or twice a year or any time I touch carbs for any reason, it should become a part of regular maintenance. Let us know how it works. Oh yea, glad you got it this far! Its all coming together!

Yes, you need the airbox to make the carbs operate properly and yes, you HAVE to sync the carbs for it to run correctly. Get yourself a quality sync tool for this as you will need to use it multiple times a year to keep the bike running at its best. The carbs are the touchiest item on the bike but easy to sync once you done it a few times.

Good luck and enjoy the bike.

Rick F.

Synching the carbs really only takes several minutes after ya get the hang of it. I like the Morgan Carbtune, its a great gauge for a modest price. The boys on the Vmax board turned me on to it and its been really solid and easy to use There are some brands and ebay specials out there that aint so hot so whatever you choose do check reviews.

I agree with Casey, I use the carbtune and find it easy and accurate to use. I ended up order mine for the manufacture in England. https://www.carbtune.com/

They list if for about $105 USD shipped to the USA and it is well worth the money.

Rick F.

I ordered mine off Ebay from the US because I needed it very quickly, but I later found out that even of ordered from the other side of the pond it arrives pretty fast.