IGNORED

Clutch Slave Leak?

Keep an eye on the clutch fluid level. If the slave cylinder is leaking, it should go down. You will have to refill and bleed the system if you rebuild the slave.
No its actual oil leaking looks to be build up around bottom bolt of slave cylinder. So thinking oring or gasket is leaking there it just seems to be a little high for oil to get to but there is a part listed as oring and oil seal.. So my question is if I pull the slave cylinder to replace would I have bleed clutch I can not tell really.

Never ride faster then your angel can fly. I am as free as the wind on my face.

The hydraulics aren't open to the side of the engine case. The hydraulics push a piston that is sealed to the slave cylinder bore. As a general rule you don't need to open the hydraulic system to replace the seal on the clutch rod. That presumes there is enough play in the clutch line to move the slave out of the way, I've never done it on a Venture so I don't know if there is.

After you pull the slave off you need to prevent the piston from creeping out and opening the system. I usually put a couple zip ties around them. Try and locate the ties so the ears and line keep them from sliding off. Then cut them away when you're ready to put it back on the motorcycle.

Of course you don't want the clutch lever to be pulled while the slave is off. If there is a chance of it getting pulled or accidentally grabbed remove the lever while you do the job.

If you loosen the 2 clamps that hold the clutch line to the frame, move the electrical stater wires out of the way, remove the rear cover, you should be able to unbolt the slave and push it down out of the way. If you see oil in the recess where the slave was bolted, then the seal around that clutch shaft is probably leaking. There is a guide and a seal. I may have the same problem as I couldn't find any leakage when I took mine apart a couple of weeks ago.

As MiCarl said... The slave is sealed. I put a wood block between clutch handle and grip so I don't accidentally pull clutch lever.

I'll get the VR back home next week for extended work... Chasing that pesky leak!!!

Good luck.

Edited by videoarizona
sp

If you loosen the 2 clamps that hold the clutch line to the frame, move the electrical stater wires out of the way, remove the rear cover, you should be able to unbolt the slave and push it down out of the way. If you see oil in the recess where the slave was bolted, then the seal around that clutch shaft is probably leaking. There is a guide and a seal. I may have the same problem as I couldn't find any leakage when I took mine apart a couple of weeks ago.

As MiCarl said... The slave is sealed. I put a wood block between clutch handle and grip so I don't accidentally pull clutch lever.

I'll get the VR back home next week for extended work... Chasing that pesky leak!!!

Good luck.

As you all know I have replaced everything else I'm glad orings and gaskets are cheap and if I wanted I could have used the gasket maker stuff... That shift shaft is a bit of a chore however I removed the kickstand switch to get better access to the seal. I will warn you its a PITA to remove that seal and I had a tool.. It fought me!! But its replaced and was dry but I did find a crack on neutral safety switch around the top mounting screw hole.. No way its leaking there but I did go ahead and order replacement.. Back to fixing the toilet.

As you all know I have replaced everything else I'm glad orings and gaskets are cheap and if I wanted I could have used the gasket maker stuff... That shift shaft is a bit of a chore however I removed the kickstand switch to get better access to the seal. I will warn you its a PITA to remove that seal and I had a tool.. It fought me!! But its replaced and was dry but I did find a crack on neutral safety switch around the top mounting screw hole.. No way its leaking there but I did go ahead and order replacement.. Back to fixing the toilet.

I have the same oil leak on my '84 so it smokes a lot when I first start it but after it burns off it don't bother me

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk