IGNORED

Map programs Thoughts

Hey guys and gals.....been thinking about a road trip or 3. Haven't decided whether to stress the ole bod with the summer heat on a scoot or drive the truck.

Regardless....was trying to lay out one of the trips in Google Maps and got really tired of waiting for map to respond. BTW, I'm on a 50mb/s cable connection using an older Win XP machine with a fast processor, fast ram and SSD drives. I don't think the computer is the problem as I can see the network connection flayling away as I click on destinations to estimate each days trip. Got tired of waiting for the sluggish responses.

So...what map programs do youse all like for planning trips. Something I can use to not only plan, but print out each day's run as well as carry a copy on the Android tablet or phone.

TIA,

d

Well I am still using Microsoft Streets and Trips, it is not supported any more and maybe not even available to purchase, but it works and to me it is very easy to use. I have the 2011 version and it will export GPX files hat my Garmin accepts.

Not sure that helps you much.

Dion,

Streets and Trips (some versions, mine is 2011) do support GPX, I just converted one last week using the built in "export to GPX" command, copied that file into my Garmin, where it stores it in "my data" in the GPS, loaded from my data to favorites and off I went, worked perfectly.

No screwing around with base camp or any thing else, just S&T and my Garmin.

For me both base camp and mapsource took a lot of fidigiting. Could be just my patience level. Tyre select a start way point boom it finds it, select end boom. Now the calculator button and therea your route. If you want to adjust you can either drag like in google maps or insert another way point.

Steve I wish my S T did gpx files. Down side for me on S T is you do have to insert a waypoint if you want say a different road from "automatic" route, where tyre you can drag and drop. I guess its all whay you get use to. I like that S T will add in breaks and gas stops and add to total route times when you look at overall route.