IGNORED

highlander

Welcome to the funny farm.

Does the gear indicator change as you shift gears? Maybe someone managed to get it indexed wrong?

The CMS is trying to tell you that it thinks you have a burned out headlight. The bike will automatically switch beams if one burns out. So if you are riding in LO beam and the Lo beam filament burns out, it will automatically switch to the HI beam so that the world does not go dark at night, same is true for HI beam will automatically switch to LO beam if the HI burns out. When it does this I will illuminate an icon on the CMS and light the blinking red light and light up the white headlight indicator on the dash.

Of course on a 32 year old bike it could be a bad connection in the wiring making the bike think the bulb is out.

Welcome to the funny farm.

Does the gear indicator change as you shift gears? Maybe someone managed to get it indexed wrong?

The CMS is trying to tell you that it thinks you have a burned out headlight. The bike will automatically switch beams if one burns out. So if you are riding in LO beam and the Lo beam filament burns out, it will automatically switch to the HI beam so that the world does not go dark at night, same is true for HI beam will automatically switch to LO beam if the HI burns out. When it does this I will illuminate an icon on the CMS and light the blinking red light and light up the white headlight indicator on the dash.

Of course on a 32 year old bike it could be a bad connection in the wiring making the bike think the bulb is out.

Okay I'm going to pull my switches off for the turn signal headlamp try to clean them tomorrow. Got a video on that flyinfool? The springs on the turn signal switch are filled with Dielectric grease what do you clean those up with? Is this a highjack if it's still related to those same problems highlander is facing?

...in the Eternal scheme of things, this isn't even the blink of an eye.

From another forum...

The gear indicator operates by grounding power from the CMS at the gear selector switch, through that spring loaded brass contact point, that rotates across the inside of the switch. If you had the switch connector unplugged, was the CMS side of the connector kept far enough away from metal that there could be no grounding occuring, giving you false gear indication?

To test the CMS, with the harness unhooked at the switch end ground each of the 6 wires (neutral+5 gears) from the CMS one at a time....you should see a different gear display on every wire. If you do the CMS is working right. If it doesn't......check out the CMS board further. If wiring tests fine ..then something is still bad at the switch end.

Okay I'm going to pull my switches off for the turn signal headlamp try to clean them tomorrow. Got a video on that flyinfool? The springs on the turn signal switch are filled with Dielectric grease what do you clean those up with? Is this a highjack if it's still related to those same problems highlander is facing?

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?43027-1983-1985-Throttle-Side-Electrical-Switch-Disassembly-and-Cleaning

Scroll down to the pdf link. Download pdf. open and print...

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?43027-1983-1985-Throttle-Side-Electrical-Switch-Disassembly-and-Cleaning

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?43025-1983-1985-Clutch-Side-Electrical-Switch-Disassembly-and-Cleaning

Scroll down to the pdf link. Download pdf. open and print...

It's all fixed! Now I just got to put her back together. The inside of my switch is missing that white plastic Shield that goes between the turn signal over the springs and the Handlebar. I don't suppose I'd ever find that part would I without buying a whole switch

• 2 weeks later...

tHi; to cold to ride up here; I tried two other cms and got no lights or anything on either one so I was wondering if the numbers on the back have to be the same as original cms ? all three have 41R but the bottom numbers are different. does this make a difference ? thanks for any comments

The Computer Monitoring System should have nothing to do with whether or not you have any lights such as headlights, driving lights, etc. The CMS just monitors all the different things like battery electrolyte level, brake fluid level, whether or not the kickstand is up or down, etc. and is "downstream" or on the other side of the main electrical.

Now I am ASS-U-ME-ing that by no lights you mean the CMS display is blank and none of the icons are lit. This probably means there is no power coming to the backlight of the LCD or ground is missing. I would start there...

As far as the 41R goes, that is the right number for the 1st gen Venture, the other numbers pretty much refer to different revisions or different manufacturing dates. There is only 2 CMS units for the 1st gen, the '83 and the '84 through '93. The '83 is just a different mounting but the rest of the years are all interchangeable.

thanks for the info on the numbers. when I put my original cms in it works the way it should except the icon for the headlight stays on but the headlight works both low and high beams.the other 2 cms I tried both r41 did not come on just the volt meter showed power