IGNORED

2018 Star Venture Helmet Pinouts

Pelican72

Anyone figure out the 7-pin DIN helmet connector pin outs for the new Venture TC yet? I've figured out the three for the speakers, but not the microphone. One appears to have 7.5 volts on it, so I'm wondering if that's the push-to-talk? I actually have the maintenance manual with all the wiring diagrams, connector details and wire colors, but am unable to trace them back to the source to determine what's on each pin. I've got headsets from other bikes I'd like to rewire to use, plus I'm trying to rig up a Bluetooth interface, and would like to avoid paying J&M $200 for a headset just to figure out the pin outs.

I would start with something already out there. http://www.hitechwireless.com/template/images/sena/SM10/faq_cable_diagram_SC-A0120.jpg I dont see them reinventing the wheel on something like this.

Yes, that's exactly what I thought, and looked for other 7-pin DIN helmet connectors. I found one for HD and one for the Polaris Spyder, but neither are exactly like this one. I see this is for SEna SMH10 connection? From what type bike? I'll try and follow the link back to see the source.

I will double-check, but I'm pretty sure I have already confirmed that the 3 pin on this diagram is for the stereo speaker common/ground, and pis two and 5 are for the left and right speakers, although I'm sure which is which.

Thank you very much for the reply.

Anyone figure out the 7-pin DIN helmet connector pin outs for the new Venture TC yet? I've figured out the three for the speakers, but not the microphone. One appears to have 7.5 volts on it, so I'm wondering if that's the push-to-talk? I actually have the maintenance manual with all the wiring diagrams, connector details and wire colors, but am unable to trace them back to the source to determine what's on each pin. I've got headsets from other bikes I'd like to rewire to use, plus I'm trying to rig up a Bluetooth interface, and would like to avoid paying J&M $200 for a headset just to figure out the pin outs.

Someone on the Facebook page posted this..

I have two helmets with J&M Performance series headsets. Bought a J&M Harley 7 pin cord compatible with the headset and they both work just fine. The comm set Yamaha is selling for the SV is the Harley 7 pin current 801 series. This cord will work. Bought this cord for my wifes 801 series headset. https://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=HC-ZYH

I swear I looked at the pin-outs for the HD and they did not match what I was finding on the bike, but I will certainly go back and take another look. this certainly makes sense not to re-invent the wheel. Thanks a bunch for the info.

• 2 weeks later...
I swear I looked at the pin-outs for the HD and they did not match what I was finding on the bike, but I will certainly go back and take another look. this certainly makes sense not to re-invent the wheel. Thanks a bunch for the info.

It's only for the j&m 801 series headsets. That's what yamaha is selling. I've also been told that the harley cable for the 801 speakers it the same as yamaha

It's only for the j&m 801 series headsets. That's what yamaha is selling. I've also been told that the harley cable for the 801 speakers it the same as yamaha

Yes, I did go back and the HD PIN-outs seems to match.

I'm trying to modify the Sena GW interface harness for the Venture. I'm very close. thanks for this information.

It might be, and then it might not. Yamaha could have had J&M create a cord to their wire count specifications, as well as copper grade. I have seen that before. To avoid any chance of a mismatch, or not 100 percent compatible, I just decided to pay the extra asking from Yamaha and picked up 2 cords through them. Either way, I now know that my cord sets are perfectly matched 'in spec' to the SVTC wiring spec. Just peace of mind. :)

I read in another forum, that a guy who already had the Harley cord from J&M, had some issues, a couple of features not working correctly. That scared me off...picking up directly from J&M, for the 7 pin Harley cord. Just didn't want any problems.

It might be, and then it might not. Yamaha could have had J&M create a cord to their wire count specifications, as well as copper grade. I have seen that before. To avoid any chance of a mismatch, or not 100 percent compatible, I just decided to pay the extra asking from Yamaha and picked up 2 cords through them. Either way, I now know that my cord sets are perfectly matched 'in spec' to the SVTC wiring spec. Just peace of mind. :)

I read in another forum, that a guy who already had the Harley cord from J&M, had some issues, a couple of features not working correctly. That scared me off...picking up directly from J&M, for the 7 pin Harley cord. Just didn't want any problems.

Can you give me a link to this forum please I'm always looking for more information. Thanks

Can you give me a link to this forum please I'm always looking for more information. Thanks

I wish that I could...that was months ago...while I was Googling around...

What the jist was though, (and why I decided to pay more for them through Yamaha...), that he had a Harley cord (owned a Harley) and traded it in on a SVTC. He then tried his cord, and either the mic wouldn't work, or also something to do with the Intercom feed. I read that, and said, forget it...will pay the extra juice that Yamaha wants, and KNOW that it will work, 100 percent with the system. So...I ordered two (we have the 801's) cords, and the extension cord for the missus. Mimurph, yes was more bucks from Yamaha...but then...if you do go that way, and not directly through J&M, to buy their 8 pin Harley cord lower....you will at least know from the get-go...that you plug in...everything works, and no chance of a voltage cross-over spike to flow back to the system. If you cross pin for instance, this can happen. You create a voltage back-feed loop. I played it totally safe.

I will search around again, and if I stumble upon the post...will certainly come back here, and paste it.

Joe

Just wanted to let you know that I bought this cable from this vendor, who called j&m who verified that this cable is the same as the yamaha version but alot more money it. I received it yesterday and plugged it in and it operates fine. Murph https://www.motorcycleaudioonline.com/products/HC_ZHD_Z_Series_Lower_Cord_for_Harley_7_pin_audio_systems-100-4.html

Just wanted to let you know that I bought this cable from this vendor, who called j&m who verified that this cable is the same as the yamaha version but alot more money it. I received it yesterday and plugged it in and it operates fine. Murph https://www.motorcycleaudioonline.com/products/HC_ZHD_Z_Series_Lower_Cord_for_Harley_7_pin_audio_systems-100-4.html

Well that's great then. I paid twice as much as that at the Yamaha dealer. You got a great deal, then! Kudos!

This is the actual Yamaha part number of which I purchased:

DBY-ACC56-13-20

• 2 weeks later...
I wish that I could...that was months ago...while I was Googling around...

What the jist was though, (and why I decided to pay more for them through Yamaha...), that he had a Harley cord (owned a Harley) and traded it in on a SVTC. He then tried his cord, and either the mic wouldn't work, or also something to do with the Intercom feed. I read that, and said, forget it...will pay the extra juice that Yamaha wants, and KNOW that it will work, 100 percent with the system. So...I ordered two (we have the 801's) cords, and the extension cord for the missus. Mimurph, yes was more bucks from Yamaha...but then...if you do go that way, and not directly through J&M, to buy their 8 pin Harley cord lower....you will at least know from the get-go...that you plug in...everything works, and no chance of a voltage cross-over spike to flow back to the system. If you cross pin for instance, this can happen. You create a voltage back-feed loop. I played it totally safe.

I will search around again, and if I stumble upon the post...will certainly come back here, and paste it.

Joe

For what it's worth, I was online with J&M this morning. I purchased an HD lower cord (part HC-ZYH). It didn't work with the headset I have, but then I realized I did not have an "Elite Series" headset. I noticed there are a number of "Elite Series" headsets so wanted to determine which I could use. The online tech confirmed that only "Elite 801" series headsets will work with the new Venture. I asked him about a number of Elite 801 headset part numbers, basically for different helmet configurations, and he said they would all work, and that I had the correct lower cord. BTW when the lower cord came it indicated it was also applicable to the 2018 Venture. Having said that, I do not have the correct headset yet so have not confirmed any of this on the new bike.

Interesting! Which headset did you pair it with ?

For what it's worth, I was online with J&M this morning. I purchased an HD lower cord (part HC-ZYH). It didn't work with the headset I have, but then I realized I did not have an "Elite Series" headset. I noticed there are a number of "Elite Series" headsets so wanted to determine which I could use. The online tech confirmed that only "Elite 801" series headsets will work with the new Venture. I asked him about a number of Elite 801 headset part numbers, basically for different helmet configurations, and he said they would all work, and that I had the correct lower cord. BTW when the lower cord came it indicated it was also applicable to the 2018 Venture. Having said that, I do not have the correct headset yet so have not confirmed any of this on the new bike.

I just had a feeling, that the harley specific cord from J&M wouldn't be just a slip-fit, for all functions. That's why I put out the ransom price for the actual Yamaha specific part. I just wanted everything to work, at the get go.