IGNORED

One more electrical question

RDawson

Just a little background, I have installed an ignition bypass, Bluetooth receiver, Edset's splitter, amplirider, and mic mutes. I used the small connector by the battery for the mic mutes, and jumped the Bluetooth receiver and amplirider off the power outlet in the fairing. The problem is with the GPS running I get electrical noise in the headsets. Unplug the GPS and it goes away. I'm assuming the problem being the power for the amplirider and Bluetooth needs to be separated from the charger port. The question is can I steal a power wire from the cassette player to power them or do I need to install another relay from the battery and use the key acc to kick it in? The issue didn't start until I installed the amplirider. Both the amp and mic mutes are new, the rest I've had a while with no problem. Oh yeah it my 07 RSV

Second question any ideas on a mount for the amplirider volume switch?

I had similar noise. So your GPS I am guessing is plugged into your on bike speaker system? Or are you Bluetooth GPS to your helmet? If that is the way your doing it, try charging up the GPS and try it out with GPS on battery power and see if it still has interference. If it still has noise and is "wired" to speakers than will have to look into where your out put wire is running. If you are wireless and battery power and it has noise then its going to be an ignition noise.

Just a little background, I have installed an ignition bypass, Bluetooth receiver, Edset's splitter, amplirider, and mic mutes. I used the small connector by the battery for the mic mutes, and jumped the Bluetooth receiver and amplirider off the power outlet in the fairing. The problem is with the GPS running I get electrical noise in the headsets. Unplug the GPS and it goes away. I'm assuming the problem being the power for the amplirider and Bluetooth needs to be separated from the charger port. The question is can I steal a power wire from the cassette player to power them or do I need to install another relay from the battery and use the key acc to kick it in? The issue didn't start until I installed the amplirider. Both the amp and mic mutes are new, the rest I've had a while with no problem. Oh yeah it my 07 RSV

Second question any ideas on a mount for the amplirider volume switch?

What you described tells me the amplirider circuit is the problem. It's getting electrical interference from the gps power. Either the gps used a floating system design which floats the grounds or the amplirider does or both. ie, the circuit isn't grounded properly so normal ignition noise is being introduced into those circuits. I like the idea of trying out the gps on battery. If noise is gone, then the gps power is the problem. Now primary problem could still be the amplirider circuit design... But the culprit feeding the problem could be the gps.

All that said..... Try the gps battery idea. If noise goes away find another power source or re-route the gps power wire differently. You can also try to shield the power wire with cheap, thin aluminum foil wrapped around power cord. Cover that mess with a wire cover so it looks somewhat decent.

There are other things you can do... Like moving the amplirider to a different spot.

As far as mounting volume.... On the inner fairing next to the 12 volt power plug there might be room. But that may cause noise too. Left handlebar behind by the push to talk switch?

If your GPS is interconnected with the motorcycle audio system you likely have a ground loop making the noise. Easy enough to check because the noise will disappear if you disconnect either the audio or power circuit for the GPS.

I had a similar problem when I put a GPS on my first gen. The solution is a "ground loop isolater". I got mine at RadioShack which won't be an option but I believe car audio shops have them.

Everything is hardwired through the factory audio system. I failed to mention that I have another 12v plug under the seat to charge phones, with the GPS plugged in there it clears up and sounds great. Wiggling the plug in the fairing charge port changes the sound. It may be just the loose connection of plug to port but I think I want to separate the circuits to be sure.

Thanks for info.

Everything is hardwired through the factory audio system. I failed to mention that I have another 12v plug under the seat to charge phones, with the GPS plugged in there it clears up and sounds great. Wiggling the plug in the fairing charge port changes the sound. It may be just the loose connection of plug to port but I think I want to separate the circuits to be sure.

Thanks for info.

AH there ya go. Check the ground @ the cig lighter. Sounds like the ground there is loose. I ran a 12v to 5v step down converter. Just need to know how much voltage etc your GPS needs. That cured my hum. Then I ended up buying the Garmin cord and direct wiring it in.