IGNORED

Lost electrical

Came from a ride today, all good. Was checking wires to hook up some extra lights. All of a sudden all power shut down. I checked main fuse and ignition fuse. Both good. Battery good. Don't know where else to look.

Any help is appreciated.

labill

When you say to check for power at the box, what do you mean and how do I do that?

If the switch is bad do you know any places to purchase outside of Yamaha?

Sorry for all the questions but I am not an expert. Know just enough to get in trouble. Just ordered one of the ignition switch relays too.

Thanks,

labill

Depending on how handy you are if the contacts are burned, they can be cleaned up and switch still work IF you reduce the load on the switch. The switch is kind of a weak link in the electrical distribution. I have a fix for it if that turns out to be your issue. I make a plug and play relay that makes the heavy load by pass the switch by using a 30-40 amp relay.

I just ordered the relay and hope it's not too late. The switch has never given me problems. After checking all the fuses I pulled the battery and will have it checked tomorrow. I hope that's it.

If not then I will have to go the route to remove it and see if it can be cleaned. I am a novice at this si I have my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the help.

labill

When you say to check for power at the box, what do you mean and how do I do that?

If the switch is bad do you know any places to purchase outside of Yamaha?

Sorry for all the questions but I am not an expert. Know just enough to get in trouble. Just ordered one of the ignition switch relays too.

Thanks,

labill

Connect one lead of your voltmeter to the ignition fuse and the other lead to the battery negative. Turn on the ignition and you should have at least 12V. If not then the most likely spot is bad ignition switch. as was mentioned, you can disassemble the switch, clean the contacts to get it working again and then install a bypass to make sure it does not happen again.

The hard part is getting the switch out!! It is held on by two tamper proof bolts which are in reality Allen head bolts with the holes filled in after assembly, and the bolts are loctited in, so forget about grinding a slot in the bolt head and using a screwdriver, I busted the tips off of two Craftsman screwdrivers trying that! You have to grind the heads off, remove the switch, and then take vice grips to remove the studs...

Picked up voltmeter today. Will test tomorrow. If there is voltage to switch I don't know where else to look, but will have to wait. Looking at the switch I see what everyone talks about. Why the Yamaha put the switch on that way is crazy.

If I need a switch any suggestions on where to look?

Thanks,

labill

I believe in easy stuff first. So check to see if your battery still has power. Also check the other end of the battery cables. If all of the cable connections are good and the battery has power then continue with your more in depth analysis.

Mike

I'll go for the easy stuff first.

Had the battery tested, Was bad and replaced, still no power. Checked main fuse and ignition fuse, both good.

I am beginning to think it is the switch. Had come back from a ride and was working on some extra lights. had the key on so I could find the right wires, then all of a sudden it went out.

I have looked at the write-ups on bypassing the switch. Before I get into that I will check the voltage as recommended. Don't know what else to do.

Thanks to everyone. Would not know what to try without the help.

labill

Here is what I have done.

1. Put in a new main fuse. Nothing

2. Turned o0n key but radio will not turn on.

3. No voltage reading between ignition fuse and negative on the battery terminal.

Before I remove the tank and try the quick fix does this sound like the ignition is the problem.?

If so and the quick fix works can I ride it that way until I get a new switch.

Thanks,

labill

OK, the first thing to check is whether or not 12 volts is getting TO the switch!! Perhaps the best way is to see if You have 12 volts going to the 10 amp "Odometer" fuse. You should have 12 volts coming through your 30 amp main fuse. See schematic...

http://www.venturerider.org/wiring/99-09%20Yamaha%20Royal%20Star%20Venture%20Simplified%20Circuit%20Diagram%20Rev%20B.pdf

Up and running.

As suggested I went out today to check and see if the main fuse was getting power from the battery. No matter what I did I could not get power and on closer inspection did not see any metal clips.

So my brain said to check the manual. Well did I feel stupid. I was checking the spare, the main was so dirty from the road dirt I missed it. It was blown, new fuse and its running.

I did remove the gas tank but would have done that any way to install the ignition relay.

I want to thank everyone who helped me out. Even with it being my fault because I did not pay attention I also learned a lot from all of you.

Thanks again,

labill

Up and running.

As suggested I went out today to check and see if the main fuse was getting power from the battery. No matter what I did I could not get power and on closer inspection did not see any metal clips.

So my brain said to check the manual. Well did I feel stupid. I was checking the spare, the main was so dirty from the road dirt I missed it. It was blown, new fuse and its running.

I did remove the gas tank but would have done that any way to install the ignition relay.

I want to thank everyone who helped me out. Even with it being my fault because I did not pay attention I also learned a lot from all of you.

Thanks again,

labill