IGNORED

Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Questions

Hey guys, my father and I ride almost identical 05 RSV. We both have oil leaks from the valve cover gaskets, mine on the rear cylinders only, his from both front and rear.

I consider myself to be fairly handy around the garage but have never taken on a project that involved digging quite so deep inside the bike or opening up the motor at all...besides the very easy clutch replacement a couple years ago.

So my question is, if I look real close at the valve adjustment walk through that details how to get to and remove the valve covers, and I take my time, is this something I should tackle as a novice mechanic? We are about 20 miles south of Boston and there really isn't a mechanic anywhere close that I am comfortable going to. I had one place that I thought was ok, but when I had new tires put on and tried to talk to them about the lack of grease issue that was causing my bike to have the infamous noise from the rear end they really didn't listen and didn't resolve the issue. So that kind of left a bad taste in my mouth and made me take on more of my own maintenance. In fact, she hasn't been in a "shop" since that tire change.

My leak is not very severe, it's enough that there is an oil coating on the case and frame that I have to clean up a couple times a year (I spend a lot more time riding it than I do polishing it!). It has never been enough to noticeably lower the oil level in the sight glass or make me question getting on and riding several hundred miles a day for a long weekend getaway. Dad's is a little more persistent, but also has never caused a change in the sight glass oil level.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, we both appreciate any input you guys have. I have learned a lot from this sight over the past 8 years so I know you guys will steer me in the right direction.

Thanks again, Joe

Shouldn't be any problem I would think. If you can read instructions and turn a wrench the right way, you're more than half way complete. If you do run into something that gots you worried, just post it here and somebody will help you get into more trouble, kind of more or less, and usually within a day or a couple of hours.

The job is more time consuming than difficult. You have to take a lot of stuff off to get at it. Go slow, take good notes, take lots of pictures so that you remember where everything goes back together. Keep screws for an item with the item so that you know which screws held it on, if all the screws that hold on a part are not the same make notes as to which go where.

If you are tearing down enough to get to the valve cover gaskets, be prepared to check your valve shims. Once you get the covers off, it is really just a small step to do this next step.

Where is it leaking? Around the half-moons? Normally, you put a schmear of RTV around the half-moons before reinstalling.

RR

• 2 years later...

The 1986 XVZ13D (S-E) Factory Service Manual list the valve cover bolt spec to be 7.2 ft-lb or 10 Nm

In reality, you are probably not going to get a torque wrench on all of them anyway. The valve cover bolts bottom out on a shoulder and the rubber cushion is what tightens the cover down on the gasket. Just bottom them out and give a good added snugging. Or, as my motor pool Msgt. used to say, torque them to "Gutentight".

ETA: As usual, Marcarl beat me to the punch!

The preceding is all great advise. But before changing gaskets etc. if you can get to the bolts place a thick washer under the head and retighten. This will put a little more pressure on the gasket and most of the time take care of any leaks... Old first gen trick... :-)

Ok perfect. Thank to you very one for the info. I was reading 32flb. Lol. I did get the em gaskets. Rear cover rear as a bit is f a pain to get you in but with a little patients and a little time. Which we have lots of in the world today. I got the t all done. Everyone be safe and enjoy the ride. Thanks again.