IGNORED

Ducatti

Sailor

I have to get a lighter bike and like the Yamaha 1300 but there is a Ducatti Diavel Dark for sale at the same price. 600 lbs and 165 HP are hard to resist but I wonder about reliability and expense. Has anyone here have experience with Ducatti and particularly with the Diavel?

I have to get a lighter bike and like the Yamaha 1300 but there is a Ducatti Diavel Dark for sale at the same price. 600 lbs and 165 HP are hard to resist but I wonder about reliability and expense. Has anyone here have experience with Ducatti and particularly with the Diavel?
Pretty big change since even in touring mode it's still a sport bike.

https://www.quora.com/How-reliable-are-Ducati-motorcycles-compared-to-other-brands-of-motorcycles

For many years I had a Suzuki Madura 1200. In fact I just got it back but it is in pieces. It had a strong V4 with a 1/4 turn throttle. Top speed was limited to 150 MPH ( 250 Kph). I figured it was time to slow down so I got the Venture when I retired.

For many years I had a Suzuki Madura 1200. In fact I just got it back but it is in pieces. It had a strong V4 with a 1/4 turn throttle. Top speed was limited to 150 MPH ( 250 Kph). I figured it was time to slow down so I got the Venture when I retired.
Might be a good project to keep you out of trouble. Is there a story there?

I don't have the mechanical skills, tools or place to work on it.

I bought it brand new in Victoria. It had a sign on it "Out the door for four". I was so busy looking at it I walked right into their big main doors and shattered them. I just got a few small cuts but it scared the hell out of the staff, they thought a car had driven through the front of the store. I bought the bike for $ 4000.00 including tax and insurance.

A few years later I came out of the Red Lion and had 20 minutes to make the ferry at Swartz bay. Instead in 20 minutes I made the ferry at Crofton with 5 minutes to spare.

It was one of those extremely rare days when there was little traffic and I hit every light green. The light at Mill Bay was red and I thought I was going to have to stop so I slowed right down to what seemed to be a crawl. For the first time I looked at the speedo, I was still doing 220kph. The light turned green so I sped back up. I hit a radar trap going full bore at the top of the 'hat. I was long gone before he could even hit the ignition but that cop was after me for along time after.

That kind of power and speed is addictive.

A few years later I came out of the Red Lion and had 20 minutes to make the ferry at Swartz bay. Instead in 20 minutes I made the ferry at Crofton with 5 minutes to spare.
Twenty minutes to Swartz Bay isn't too unusual but twenty minutes to Crofton is very impressive.

It was one of those extremely rare days when there was little traffic and I hit every light green. The light at Mill Bay was red and I thought I was going to have to stop so I slowed right down to what seemed to be a crawl. For the first time I looked at the speedo, I was still doing 220kph. The light turned green so I sped back up. I hit a radar trap going full bore at the top of the 'hat. I was long gone before he could even hit the ignition but that cop was after me for along time after.

That kind of power and speed is addictive.

Soooo...what... did you have to dismantle the bike to help get over the addiction?

The guy I gave it to hardly ever rode it and decided to tear it down. I have no idea why. He has left the island and has given it back to me....in three boxes.

It was actually 15 minutes Red Lion to Crofton and 5 minutes of sweating waiting for the cops to show up. Guess they missed the ferry.

When I retire I decided I had made it this far so I should slow down and live a little longer.

About 1990, I really wanted an 85 Honda Magna V65 which I think is a similar bike to the Madura. But, I couldn't afford one at the time. I test rode an 83 and was amazed at the power and smoothness but the 83 had different handlebars and the seating was more like a sport bike that I didn't like. Later I read about a problem with those engines, cam oiling problem or something like that.

New ice age here. I went out and bought a Yamaha v star 1300 deluxe se. I pick it up tomorrow,if I am still alive.

My son is buying the Venture.

OUTSTANDING AND CONGRATS SAILOR!!!! :thumbsup:

Even though I gotta admit when I first read your post I was hoping this was gonna end with "I wanted a Muscle Cruiser so I went and looked at the Diavel and sitting next to it was this real pretty 1700cc V-Max in all it's glory and that's where things got interesting" :missingtooth:

Did your son pick up one of the new V-Twin Ventures?