IGNORED

Stator? Clanky grindy starter Not sure what it is going on

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1-1/4" open end wrench on the hex of the flywheel, handle of wrench on the foot peg to hold it.
I was afraid of that and I don't have no such thing darn it

Never ride faster then your angel can fly. I am as free as the wind on my face.

Motorcycle tie down strap wrapped around the flywheel and then hook the hook on a saddlebag guard or something. Wind it so it tightens as the flywheel turns,, sort of like making a quick fix in a pinch strap wrench.... Gotta be a way,, where there's a will there is always a way!!

So I go across the street and talk to my Good Old neighbor mr. Thompson and I asked if he had an impact wrench he did it says 230 lb on the backside of it we put it on that darn bolt and a sucker let loose so if I'm not mistaking I do have the cooling kit for my bike I will post a picture now; now comes the fun part!!!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180323/a7c38b2ec7b6e3a8a059394ff6a84299.jpg

:scared:,, looky looky,, thats that confounded phase 2 updated stator cooling wire thingy that Fool gave me a clue about a long time ago!! KEWL!!!!!!!!

Motorcycle tie down strap wrapped around the flywheel and then hook the hook on a saddlebag guard or something. Wind it so it tightens as the flywheel turns,, sort of like making a quick fix in a pinch strap wrench.... Gotta be a way,, where there's a will there is always a way!!
You know it's real funny every time I'm on the forum saying something @cowpuc shows up about the time I'm cooking wieners... it seemed to be the easier thing to do right about nowcc17f538614ac2a014073dce297901ba.jpg

Edited by snyper316

How about neighbors impact on puller [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I would,, just take your time and dont let that puppy nail ya when it come flying off there!!!!

I would,, just take your time and dont let that puppy nail ya when it come flying off there!!!!
That I have been going in slow and backing out but not sure how his impact wrench adjusts and didn't want to mess things up. So between rolling weenies and flipping hamburgers I've been coming in here moving this bolt back and forth on this puller

a24f173ff71bf5a2fd20b7b8adbafd15.jpg

You know it's real funny every time I'm on the form saying and something about something cowpuc shows up and about the nick of time about time I'm cooking wieners... it seemed to be the easier thing to do right about nowhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180323/cc17f538614ac2a014073dce297901ba.jpg

My Dad always told me that my sniffer worked better than any lop eared Hound Dog he ever did own,,,, personally I think its some kind of "Force Be With Me" timing thing Snype..

Wish I was there,, I would GLADLY drill the grill for ya!! Thems some good lookin dogs you got there!!:178:

That I have been going in slow and backing out but not sure how his impact wrench adjusts and didn't want to mess things up. So between rolling weenies and flipping hamburgers I've been coming in here moving this bolt back and forth on this puller

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180323/a24f173ff71bf5a2fd20b7b8adbafd15.jpg

cant see the marks on top of the three bolts = are those hardened? Use hardened bolts tightend in at least as much as the OD of the bolt - make sure the puller face is squared off nicely and then tighten down the center puller bolt.. A little lube on the center bolt going thru the puller body helps a LOT too!!

cant see the marks on top of the three bolts = are those hardened? Use hardened bolts tightend in at least as much as the OD of the bolt - make sure the puller face is squared off nicely and then tighten down the center puller bolt.. A little lube on the center bolt going thru the puller body helps a LOT too!!
The only bolts I could find were class 8.8 in metric

I am thinking those are like a grade 5 (three slash) SAE Snype... Personally,, I would hop on down to ACE or somewhere and see if I could find some higher grade bolts to use.. If I recall,, metric "10's" are almost an additional ton of umphhh... Problem I have had using light duty stuff on pullers like that is that they stretch like crazy when you hit that hardened center bolt with the hammer or torque... If you find metric threaded bolts marked with at least 6 slashes instead of a "Y" shape 3 slash those would be fine too = that would be the equivalent of a +10 metric mark.. Make sense?

8.8 is similar to SAE grade 5 bolts. 10.9 would be better, but there is a good chance these will work.

once you tighten the puller, leave it tight, every time you come to check, tighten it some more, it may just pop overnight. You have to crank on it till you are sure it will break, then go a bit more, and more and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

8.8 is similar to SAE grade 5 bolts. 10.9 would be better, but there is a good chance these will work.

once you tighten the puller, leave it tight, every time you come to check, tighten it some more, it may just pop overnight. You have to crank on it till you are sure it will break, then go a bit more, and more and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Sounds fun... Wonder if HF tool will break under pressure

Trying to remember correctly, when I was at thee point you are at now, I took my small propane torch, not my mini, but a pencil flame, and brought a bit of heat to the tower under the puller, and then it just went pop? I think I had all I could get on that with a 3' bar and the end of my puller is forever changed. Took 3 days of fooling with it, but I never backed it off.

Trying to remember correctly, when I was at thee point you are at now, I took my small propane torch, not my mini, but a pencil flame, and brought a bit of heat to the tower under the puller, and then it just went pop? I think I had all I could get on that with a 3' bar and the end of my puller is forever changed. Took 3 days of fooling with it, but I never backed it off.
Yeah time to go tap my wrench in some more.

You'd have time to do it here in Indy with the snow coming down...3-5 in the next few hours

Was supposed to go up to Anderson to run the Late Model Figure 8 car my son and his friend are gonna run this year

The only car to have a 4 link rear suspension,,,set a track record a couple years ago

AND SPRING STARTED Tuesday...

You'd have time to do it here in Indy with the snow coming down...3-5 in the next few hours

Was supposed to go up to Anderson to run the Late Model Figure 8 car my son and his friend are gonna run this year

The only car to have a 4 link rear suspension,,,set a track record a couple years ago

AND SPRING STARTED Tuesday...

I got the time right now too... Gotta wait around for insurance adjuster to come look at the truck. Plus ain't like I'm going anywhere with no starter. I tell you the way it sounded well I'm sure you all know that sound it makes. Makes it seem as if your gonna have parts come flying out of that cover.

I rapped the end of the center bolt a couple hits, then tightened again, and again. Shock vibrations popped it off. I also tied a rope from the puller to the frame so it didn't launch. Don't beat on it with a BFH, just a decent pop. Like The Beach Boys said: good vibrations.

Okay this thing is starting to freak me out I really cannot afford to replace this rotor and I don't think you can replace this rotor anyway here is where I'm at. I'm using the flat end piece in the rotor puller kit1eb10930ab97b693f620de44f33d4d2b.jpg22b255d56364e9d029e4e8754a16529a.jpg

Edited by snyper316

One of the reason's that i prefer to use hardened bolts and even washers when dealing with this stuff is that the softer medium grade stuff always seemed to me like it absorbed impacts when ya smack the puller bolt and any stretching or bending that may happen can really work against you..

If it were mine I would dismantle and dig thru my salvage yard like bolt accumulation and find some higher grade bolts and also something harder or thicker than the washers you have under those bolt faces where the bending is going on, or hit up our local Hardware for such. Something so when I smacked the center bolt the impact was not being absorbed in other ways than what I wanted..

Another trick that I have used many times in knocking out tie rods and ball joints that were 100% locked on in their tapered mount was an air hammer... Just put the end of the air hammer against the end of the joint, pull the trigger and POW!! Like mentioned earlier though,, be careful when doing this kind of stuff because the energy behind that flywheel will be unreal = I had a little tie rod come shooting off one time, hit me in the face and ended up with my teeth pushed thru my lip..

It would be awesome if you could get your hands on such a thing (cheap at HF) but if your stuck using a hammer to hit that center bolt it is important to remember NOT to use anything real heavy.. Your not trying to separate the crank bearings,, as mentioned by Corporal Newkirk mentioned - its the "vibes" your looking for = I would think a sharp blow with a 20 oz hammer would be fine.. WEAR SAFETY GLASSES though when working with this stuff too though,,, especially with hardened stuff like hammer faces and even that center bolt = they tend to shatter instead of bend...

By the way Snype,, hopefully you are sure that the end of the center bolt is laying flatly against the end of the crank so deforming is happening there.

I KNOW,, that tapered fit is TOUGH,, but you be tougher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the reason's that i prefer to use hardened bolts and even washers when dealing with this stuff is that the softer medium grade stuff always seemed to me like it absorbed impacts when ya smack the puller bolt and any stretching or bending that may happen can really work against you..

If it were mine I would dismantle and dig thru my salvage yard like bolt accumulation and find some higher grade bolts and also something harder or thicker than the washers you have under those bolt faces where the bending is going on, or hit up our local Hardware for such. Something so when I smacked the center bolt the impact was not being absorbed in other ways than what I wanted..

Another trick that I have used many times in knocking out tie rods and ball joints that were 100% locked on in their tapered mount was an air hammer... Just put the end of the air hammer against the end of the joint, pull the trigger and POW!! Like mentioned earlier though,, be careful when doing this kind of stuff because the energy behind that flywheel will be unreal = I had a little tie rod come shooting off one time, hit me in the face and ended up with my teeth pushed thru my lip..

It would be awesome if you could get your hands on such a thing (cheap at HF) but if your stuck using a hammer to hit that center bolt it is important to remember NOT to use anything real heavy.. Your not trying to separate the crank bearings,, as mentioned by Corporal Newkirk mentioned - its the "vibes" your looking for = I would think a sharp blow with a 20 oz hammer would be fine.. WEAR SAFETY GLASSES though when working with this stuff too though,,, especially with hardened stuff like hammer faces and even that center bolt = they tend to shatter instead of bend...

By the way Snype,, hopefully you are sure that the end of the center bolt is laying flatly against the end of the crank so deforming is happening there.

I KNOW,, that tapered fit is TOUGH,, but you be tougher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I stuck my 14mm socket at the end of this and bashed it and guess what she popped up off. 1b97eda387e489faf7be8c791f0edcda.jpg

I stuck my 14mm socket at the end of this and bashed it and guess what she popped up off. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180324/1b97eda387e489faf7be8c791f0edcda.jpg

:sign Rock On::sign Rock On::sign Rock On::sign Rock On::sign Rock On::sign Rock On::sign Rock On::sign Rock On::sign Rock On::sign Rock On::sign Rock On::sign Rock On::sign Rock On::sign Rock On::sign Rock On::sign Rock On::sign Rock On::sign Rock On::sign Rock On::sign Rock On::sign Rock On::sign Rock On::sign Rock On:

:dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool: