IGNORED

Stator? Clanky grindy starter Not sure what it is going on

I have had a strange noise when I crank my bike. So today I was bored after replacing my coils and trying to figure out what is up with my 2 carb. I pulled the covers off the left side of my bike to see if I could figure out what was going. Only thing I thought could be possible was the little gear was on backwards because one side is a bit thicker then the other. I find no ground teeth anywhere so what else should I check into? Here is photos of them gears and that stator windings.Just basically I have no charging issues but just want second opinion. Should I go ahead and replace the stator, and does the stator come with the pick up coils? Should I do any other maintenance while I am here I am also trying to find a pesky slight oil leak, like a 1/2 quart maybe in a month.

20180317_133817.jpg20180317_133808.jpg20180317_133801.jpg20180317_133752.jpg20180317_133745.jpg20180317_133725.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Snyper, what is it, a "grinding" type noise? If so, ya gots that pesky critter called a cracked up starter clutch. You're most of the way there towards complete diagnoses, of course the rotor bolt has to come off, an electric or air impact helps to just kick it loose. THEN you get to assemble a gear puller on the rotor to pull IT off the crank. Been there for 30 yrs or so, plenty of instruction on here under the starter clutch issues thread in the libraries...

Now on the stator, it seems the "noon to 5" area of the windings are a bit "hot" to the eye, shows possible future failure in this area to the windings.

You can look all this info up in the libraries on here...plus I'm the guy to talk to about your starter clutch problems, you'll see that in the libraries too. Just glad to help ya here.

Dano

If it were my scoot, I would replace the stator, it's getting dark on the bottom and that usually indicates heat, too much heat and so it looks to be replaced with a newer model. Gears look fine to me, but you could have a starter clutch problem and you can find that by removing the flywheel, that's the bolt you are asking about. Removing the bolt is the easy part, just turn it off with an impact, then comes the funner part, getting that hunk of metal to jump into a basket.

SO!

Remove bolt and store for later use, you will need to keep that hunk of metal in place later. Find a good solid puller, not a 2 point, needs to be a 3 point attach, squeeze it on tight making sure it is level,put a basket infront of the whole business with some rags insatlled, squeeze on the puller some more (I had a 2' bar on mine) and then using a solid piece of metal, I used a hammer, slap that silly thing right on the nut. Stand back, because if it lets go it come out of there in a hurry, might even take a day or two. I'm not sure what would happen if you applied some heat in the process, but I might be inclined to add that in if I were to make another attempt at it.

Now you can see what shape your starter clutch is in because it will be right there in the basket for you to look at.

Good Luck!

I got the Dano starter clutch in my bike to.

For the flywheel bolt, if you do not have an impact driver to get the bolt off, there is a hex on the flywheel that you can put a big wrench on to hold it while you loosen the bolt, IIRC it is torqued to somewhere around 100 ft lbs so it will take some oompf to get it to break loose. Then comes the fun of getting the flywheel off of the crank.

That stator does look a bit toasty, It is NOT supposed to be black. Even though it is still working it is not long for this world.

For the screws that hold on the stator, they are put in with loctite, heat them up and hit with an impact driver with a good JIS bit. Have the cover on some rags so you do not scratch it up.

There is a cooling kit for that bike where there is a hole in the center of the flywheel bolt and a bent piece of wire in that hole, it is to spray oil on the stator to help cool it. It does not look like you have that kit installed. You do want to find one to put in if you do not have it.

Once the bolt is out douse the shaft with penetrating oil, attach the puller and tighten it. Use a decent size hammer and give the puller bolt a few sharp raps, tighten it a little more and repeat. Keep repeating. Had mine off my 86 in 10 minutes.

What Jeff said about the oiler kit!!! Glad he mentioned it, I was looking on the picture for it and didn't see it! This was an issue with the '83 that lead to fried stators. They came up with the fix in '84 but not every '83 got the update from the dealer!

I personalty do not like hammering or using a torch around the flywheel. The flywheel contains ceramic magnets. Heat and shock are the 2 fastest ways to DEmagnatize them. If the magnets get weak it will reduce the power output of the stator, and weaken the trigger pulse to the ignition.

The only propane I have is a big buddy heater anyways. With my luck I would be to afraid to miss and hit the rotor. I have been searching for write up a how to replace starter clutch. I have found one with pictures but have not found wether the clutch comes off with the rotor or separate. It appears separate but not 100% on that. I was wondering what kind of puller but that stated he used harmonic balancer pulley. It appears I need to call AutoZone 800 number tell them about being told I needed a to go to bike shop!! None of his business what attend to use it for. So rotor and bolt still on the bike still. Been trying to get truck paid off and other issues. Kids are on spring break and I do my best work solo. More specifically of the cussing and flying objects type. Plus grandson leaves today[emoji24][emoji24]

Never ride faster then your angel can fly. I am as free as the wind on my face.

You need a 3 leg puller, a 2 leg will not work. When you put the 3 bolts of the puller into the flywheel, do note tighten them with a wrench, just finger tight and fully bottomed in the hole. Make sure they are hardened bolts, not cheap ones.

No one was joking when they said to have a soft place for the flywheel to land, like a basket of blankets, it literally lets go with a bang and it will go flying. Do not loose the key way.

If it has never been off it is real tough the first time, the factory must torque that bolt to around a million ft lbs, the flywheel is on a taper. There are a few people that have got lucky and had it come off easy, others really had to wrestle with it.

The starter clutch is bolted to the back of the flywheel.

The stock starter clutch has 3 rollers to grip the 72 tooth gear, the @Dano mod has 18 rollers to do the gripping. Odds are that you will find cracked metal along with the worn out clutch parts, odds are also good the the 3 bolts that hold the starter clutch in are loose, even though they are installed with red loctite AND staked. The bearing surface of the 72 tooth gear will also have a lot of lines pressed into it from the clutch rollers. The 72 tooth gear just slips in from the back of the flywheel.

Set your impact to maximum and make sure your compressor is reaching full pressure. If you can crank up the pressure in your compressor to 125.
Impact driver says 90 PSI maximum but I can crank it to 125

Impact driver says 90 PSI maximum but I can crank it to 125

Ok all I have is a 21 gallon compressor, when I was growing up my dad had a tank that i know was about the same size maybe smaller and it would get up to 150 in pressure!! what gives Mine I guess gets just at 125 before kicking off.... anyways guess I will just keep at it over the next few days. I have a harbor central Pneumatic I believe and 1/2 inch impact wrench. Claims 285lbs of foot lb torque. I also got the pulley puller from harbor freight today figured why not it is guarenteed for life so we will see if I get anywhere I got a few days before grandson comes back. I also am gonna grease things again since I got it apart and change my oils and try to chase that stupid little oil leak.. Have seen another thread where I believe @videoarizona is haven the same amount of fun and I am betting on our shift shafts!! Which by looking well to say the least looks very entertaining getting to it!!

Ok all I have is a 21 gallon compressor, when I was growing up my dad had a tank that i know was about the same size maybe smaller and it would get up to 150 in pressure!! what gives Mine I guess gets just at 125 before kicking off.... anyways guess I will just keep at it over the next few days. I have a harbor central Pneumatic I believe and 1/2 inch impact wrench. Claims 285lbs of foot lb torque. I also got the pulley puller from harbor freight today figured why not it is guarenteed for life so we will see if I get anywhere I got a few days before grandson comes back. I also am gonna grease things again since I got it apart and change my oils and try to chase that stupid little oil leak.. Have seen another thread where I believe videoarizona is haven the same amount of fun and I am betting on our shift shafts!! Which by looking well to say the least looks very entertaining getting to it!!

Yea...I looked my shift shaft over but couldn't figure out how to get to that thing. Anyone have any ideas for snyper316 and I?

But I'm also going to attack the stator wires anyway...when I get back down. Brought the RSV home to work on her for a few days. Then I'll bring the VR back down and go back to work on her.

Too bad I'm not any closer. I have big industrial tools for work on big rigs. My 1/2" impact is 1200ft/lbs of reverse torque and that had a dandy of a time getting my starter clutch off. P.s. Do NOT be in front of that thing when it lets go... Just saying.

I am gonna do my best to be 50 ft from the bike when that happens and not in the firing range either, Think I may try fools trick and put a milk crate with a quilt in front of it. I thought this bolt was held in with 100ft/lb so figured that would be plenty... I almost got a 700ft/lb but thought that was overkill!!

When it comes to getting new tools, there is no such thing as overkill..........

Yes the torque spec is 100 ft lbs, but I still think the factory torques it to 1 million. That is also why it is so hard to get the flywheel off of the taper the first time. Any time after that is never an issue.

So I go across the street and talk to my Good Old neighbor mr. Thompson and I asked if he had an impact wrench he did it says 230 lb on the backside of it we put it on that darn bolt and a sucker let loose so if I'm not mistaking I do have the cooling kit for my bike I will post a picture now; now comes the fun part!!!a7c38b2ec7b6e3a8a059394ff6a84299.jpg

Edited by snyper316