IGNORED

Saw another bike on its side on the way to work.

baylensman

So this is like the third bike or pieces of bike, i've seen in the past 6 weeks on my typical route to and from work. All three have been early morning (dark). All have been on the bigger (6 lane) road when traffic is still sparse. No evidence of excessive speed or lane change or direction change.

I think it a visibility thing. I have a headlight (LED BROWVIEW) Hiway lamps permanently on (AGAIN HI output LEDS) A full complement of bright green LEDS all over the big (48 on each side) As well as the two projectors at the back of the bike pointing down. AS well as a lot of chrome and stainless

The RSV is not small neither am I, I've been told before after Blowing a horn to get attention that they just didn't see me!! DO we unconsciously edit out things like bikes pedestrians and other things that aren't cars when we drive?

I'm beginning to rethink riding into my retirement, maybe now is the time! I almost convinced my self last spring when she stopped riding with me to give it up. I kept the bike and started to use it even more for daily transportation. Now I love to ride, but I love to hunt and fish and I haven't done those in almost 20 years mostly because of where I live, but still!

Is it getting worse out there?

The Dope smoking Idiot that blindsided me was very quick to yell "I Didn't See Him!!!" Headlight and Driving lights were ON!! After the accident when someone mentions this it wasn't him. He doesn't know what they are talking about!! He told me this his self once and I had gave my word to the owner of the place that I would do nothing before I ask him about the accident. I told him then that the next time I caught him I'm was going to Bust his Head!!! He Moved!!I've seen him twice and he gets out of sight quick!! I Love It!!!:banana:

I would bet everything I own that it has plenty to do with distracted motorists. Not every one but a vast majority of bike wrecks are related to idiots with phones IMO. I have been fighting a strong gut feeling that its time to get off the street bikes and sell my Venture and Vmax. As much as I love riding its a powerful premonition I just cant shake. Stuff like this really reinforces that. I am at a crossroads now. Just having bought a barely legal dirt bike I am ready to test out moving my riding out of the reach of todays average motorists. If I can sate my need to ride with this overgrown chainsaw, the Venture will end up in the classifieds. There is no longer a pretense of saftey, it is very much a roll of the dice to ride on public roads. I would feel so much safer if autonomous cars were the norm, because trusting Jane Q Public to pay attention and be safe seems very poor odds.

What they need to do is disable all cell phones while in motion Unless connected to blue tooth, I have an app called Drive Mode that is on every At&t cell phone. But I have a choice to turn it on, I believe it is now good time to take that choice away. I Have a feeling the girl that hit me was texting and driving because she made no notion to stop!!! Btw Tahoe Is totaled took it for estimate. But body is twisted which you can see when you look at it front to back because the luggage racks one is slacking by couple inches all doors dont shut smooth like they used to. Anyways I grew up on dirt bikes, people say when your number is up it is up, but the way I see it I don't want to help it along. Kinda like the reason I gave up smoking, 1yr 3 days ago!! I still love my bike and still love to ride it, so I am torn also..

When I began to feel less and less comfortable on a heavy, tall bike for me, I had to make the decision to get off. On the last ride I was with a couple of friends and had an RV almost pull across in front of us. It appeared it was the passenger that got his attention in what he was doing. The driver was more interested in where he was pulling into. Since then I have put many miles on my Miata and at times I really do miss riding, but a Miata is just one step away from a trike, but enormously less costly. I am also much more comfortable pulling my camper with the Miata than with my bike.

Randy

Since then I have put many miles on my Miata and at times I really do miss riding, but a Miata is just one step away from a trike, but enormously less costly. I am also much more comfortable pulling my camper with the Miata than with my bike.

Randy

I tested a Miata about 15 years ago and totally loved it. Sadly the top of the windshield was about mid forehead on me otherwise I would have bought it. My second car was a 67 MGB and it had tons of headroom and legroom. Very similar vehicles except for the seating.

Is it getting worse out there?

Yes it is. Cell phones and texting really reduce the time many drivers spend looking where they are going. "I never saw him" is the excuse but the reality is that they don't notice anything smaller than an automobile as they glance up from their phone. I purposely ride for pleasure on small rural roads just to avoid this problem. I never commuted to work in busy traffic with a motorcycle because it is just to darned dangerous. Get real - do drivers think it is ok to read a book or newspaper while driving in traffic? Probably not, but reading and sending text messages must be ok, they do it all the time!

zag

Edited by zagger

I had probably the closest call I've ever had today. Going through a T intersection at highway speed guy crossed from the side road in front of me into a driveway in a flat bed truck. He actually came looking for me about 15 minutes later to apologize, said he saw me but for some reason thought I was gonna turn. Mid 50s in age, no phone, just a brain fart. Really had to fight the rear locking up. I do have to take some responsibility as my speed MIGHT have been a wee bit excessive. :ignore: Even coming out of the skid the bike handled great so there is that.

I believe most of us, if not all think about this from time to time. I know I do. I live in Florida about 40 min North of Baylensman. I know his area is congested and with speeders and people not paying close attention, things happen quickly. Riding n the end is a choice to some degree. For me it's my therapy. To think, relax and breathe. I know there's a chance of something happening but at this time, I am still riding...