IGNORED

How many have Sleep Apnea??

Yammer Dan

Did the Sleep Study thing again last night. They claim it is Severe now? Can no longer use C Pap must use Bi Pap?? I got this crap in 2013. Tried for a year to use it. Really tried!! Could not get used to the thing. Too much noise and never fit right!! Called them in 2014 and told them I could not use. They told me they would be out next week to see why. Still waiting for that visit. They did another Sleep Study last night and tried the Scare tatics. Claim it is really bad. The mask I used last night was a lot better than the old one and I did sleep for a few hrs. What the Hell is a BiPap?? How many we got putting up with this Torture Machine?? Good think is the VA picks up the bill for this one!! I did drop my machine off the back crossing the Tenn. River at about 70 mph. Still blows!!!

I've been on Cpap for 3 years now. Don't care for it, but it does help!

I'm using the ResMed S9 AutoSet CPAP machine. It's a portable 2 piece machine that runs on 24 volts. You can buy an adapter for it to run off of 12 volts. They do have a battery but it costs as much as the machine so no go for me. I like the machine a lot. It's quiet and small. I'm using the Quattro medium full face mask. It's a 2 piece unit. One piece is the machine, the 2nd piece is the distilled water/heater/humidifier. I got both the heater hose and the lighter regular hose. In the winter, the heater hose warms the air to whatever temp I want...(usually 84 degrees is best for me). When it's really dry in the house (below 10% humidity), I add water and my throat doesn't get sore. I run the unit in auto mode. Changed the pressure ramp-up time from 45 minutes to 5 minutes, as I fall asleep quickly. I need far more pressure on my back than on my side and the S9 adjusts for that as I sleep. Less pressure on my side, more pressure on my back. It starts automatically when I breathe in the 1st breath.

It almost has stopped my snoring!

The S9 was the best unit I could find that fit my needs. I had my doc specify that model in the script for me. The local supplier tried to set me up with one from the sleep doc. I let them set it up before I asked what they were doing. When I told them my prescription was for the ResMed S9. They put the older bulky crap unit away and brought out the S9. Guess the sleep doc gets a bigger kickback from some suppliers than others!!

Understand the S9 is outdated and now has a newer version.

The difference between CPAP and BIPAP is the BIPAP can be set for 2 pressures. The older units and newer cheap CPAP machines do not regulate the pressure for breathing ease. IE, sometimes it's hard to exhale against the positive pressure of a cheap CPAP machine. The ResMed S9 takes care of this automagically. The Quattro mask also helps in this regard.

That was the selling point for me was the ability of the machine to work with me rather than against me. BIPAP is the latest technology. You might ask the VA if they work with ResMed BIPAP machines. If they say yes, then research which looks best for you and ask your sleep doc to prescribe that unit for the VA to handle. Sometimes they will approve you to go outside the system and get the right unit for you on the civilian market. The language used in your test results "severe", etc.., will work for you in getting the best machine you can.

Good luck...

Oh...BTW, my ResMed S9 has not skipped a beat in 3 years of usage each and every day...except when I'm on the boat! It also fits in the left saddlebag of both of my Ventures....:cool10:

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea several years ago (maybe 10?). I got a cpap machine and went through half a dozen different masks and straps and other various medieval torture devices till I found a combination that worked relatively well and did not keep me awake more than the apnea did. Unfortunately, my insurance no longer covers the supplies so I have been sleeping without the cpap.

I have found that my weight has a huge impact on the apnea. When I drop down to 180lb or less, I don't snore and the apnea disappears. I'm about 220 right now and I snore a bit but I'm still sleeping OK.

I'm actively working on dropping another 20 lbs(at least) but It's very expensive to live on a very low carb diet, which is what it takes for me to keep the weight off. Forget about my love of craft beer and cheese doodles!

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea several years ago (maybe 10?). I got a cpap machine and went through half a dozen different masks and straps and other various medieval torture devices till I found a combination that worked relatively well and did not keep me awake more than the apnea did. Unfortunately, my insurance no longer covers the supplies so I have been sleeping without the cpap.

I have found that my weight has a huge impact on the apnea. When I drop down to 180lb or less, I don't snore and the apnea disappears. I'm about 220 right now and I snore a bit but I'm still sleeping OK.

I'm actively working on dropping another 20 lbs(at least) but It's very expensive to live on a very low carb diet, which is what it takes for me to keep the weight off. Forget about my love of craft beer and cheese doodles!

I haven't snored since my divorce 15 years ago. (That I know of...)

...in the Eternal scheme of things, this isn't even the blink of an eye.

Well I have used one for over 14 years. I,m on my second machine. Don't know how bad I snore for over three years. Don't use my cdl anymore which for the other guy is a good thing. Kind of a bummer but faced the fact. Cant shift any manual anymore and distance is way off. But back to cpap. guess I'm stuck with it to the end.

Been using a machine for years!! Yup, it took a good half a year or so before I was fully comfortable with one. I used a CPAP (Constant Positive Absolute Pressure) for a few years and then was switched over to a VPAP (Variable Positive Absolute Pressure) machine which was a lot nicer! Nowadays the VA has me switched over to a BiPAP (Bi or dual Positive absolute Pressure) machine which is supposed to be better for me as my sleep apnea is very severe! The main difference between a VPAP and a BiPAP is the VPAP senses the difference between inhaling and exhaling and switches the pressure to follow your breathing, whereas the BiPAP is a set pattern that you have to adjust your breathing pattern to it! takes a short time to adjust, but I'm OK with it.

I LOVE my "dream machine" and can't live without it (...literally)!!!

And yes, it takes a lot of trial and error to find the right type and style of mask that fits you!

I sleep with mine every night. I have the nasal pillow, My people that gave me BIpap in first place kept complaining about my full face mask leaking. SO I switched to this nasal piece its ok I guess but my insurance doesn't allow for replacements quick enuff like my head strap is only covered every 6 months and 3 months in it is well used and don't work well. What you do is your choice, but you really should use it if you need it, the Bipap I love much better then Cpap. I felt suffocated with CPAP!!

I have been using mine for over 10 years, i can not sleep with out it. Yes it sucks but what can a person do. I am a candidate for going in and having my tongue cut down because that's my problem. I have tryed losing weight but having a 17/12+ neck things are just to big inside.

Well, I am glad you brought up this topic. I have been using CPAP for probably 10 or more years. I call it a C-Crap. I can't tell the difference but my wife can tell I do not snore when using it. I hate using one but I force myself to use it most of the time.

That said I have noticed I do not get up to pee as often, or any, since I started using it. Also, I have finally decided that with me it is cumulative. That is, one or maybe two nights without it is not a real issue. A two week motorcycle trip without it, I seem to be much more tired. It has taken me a few years to reach these observations. I may be trying to justify using it.

Now my beliefs of the industry is that it is like black magic or voodoo. The way they act you'd think they were guarding high level nuclear secrets. How in the hell during the test can a person sleep with all that crap hooked up to them. I slept zero on my first test and very little on my second one. I am convinced that everyone who goes to a sleep study will be issued a CPAP. Just like if you take a kid to an orthodontist they will need braces.

Yammer Dan, my experience after dealing with several different places, getting service from those people is like non existent. The S 9 is a very good machine. I had one for a few years then it quit, not sure why. I did get a replacement. I now have a ResMed Airsense 10 auto. I like it as well as any and maybe a little better. BE sure to have the script written for the auto.

My wife still uses a DEVILBISS and likes it. She has one for travel, she travels a lot, and one for home so she doesn't have to pack and unpack it. I used one of them also but when I went on Medicare I got another sleep test and the ResMed 10. I could use the 10 for travel as it is not very large in comparison to others. I am not sure about battery power for it.

Some time back we changed insurance so I bought a Transcend for which I ordered a battery pack $$$ and humidifier. I had to pay for the battery pack. I got it for the times I camp. The humidifier is large plus does not run on battery so I don't use the humidifier when motorcycle traveling in case I camp. The Transcend by itself is small. So I try to take it on MC trips. It is tough though, as you know, space is a premium. I do put it in two waterproof bags.

Also for travel we always take a three way plug so we have enough outlets for everything, an adapter for a grounded plug to be plugged into an non grounded plug (rarely use it but in old places may need if the machine has a grounded plug), a somewhat long light extension cord, and either distilled (use this at home) or bottled water for the humidifier if taking it on a trip. We wash the mask each morning with Neutrogena non fragrance soap. Then once a month soak them in a 1 to 3 vinegar to water mix. If I think I will tent camp I take a long extension cord so I can run electric to my tent.

The Wife and I often order from CPAP.com. Also there is a forum CPAPtalk.com. The Wife learned a lot from the forum such as washing the masks and care in general. She is actually my go to person for CPAP questions. CPAP.com has return insurance available plus some face mask companies offer free returns. CPAP.com doesn't file insurance but with our deductible as high as it is and their prices much lower than the Voodoo people if we have to pay 100% CPAP.com makes it not as expensive. I have three insurances but the wife has only one. So I try the Voodoo people first. However, they are usually pricks to deal with and take forever. But the last time I eventually got what I ordered and insurance covered it.

The bad part is a person must experiment with the mask to figure out what works best for them. Don't let the supplier tell you what you want. Do your research then tell them. I was fortunate with my 10 as they said it was good and The Wife had already researched them and she agreed. I wanted to go back to the same one she had but the 10 is supposed to be better.

Good luck. It did take me awhile to get used to it. I still hate it. The Wife is one that everything bothers her but she finally adjusted after a month or so and experimenting with different masks. They are supposed to make us live longer and better regardless of my negative feelings. So do your best to make it work.

Thanks. Lot of good info. I guess you guys are oicking up the tab for this one. It is thru Veterans. Not sure if they are trying to keep me around longer or get rid of outdated models!!! I kin still shoot pretty well so maybe they got some plans........ I guess I'm waiting for them now.

Dan,

Like so many on this thread, I have been sleeping on a CPaP for well over 10 years, and really can't do without it (and believe me, I've tried many times). I too went through a period of absolutely hating it, and griping about it, and even going long periods of time not using it. But, I finally had an incident one night when I woke up in the middle of the night, in a full blown panic and could not breathe! My throat had apparently became extremely dry from my open mouth snoring, and it had basically stuck closed, and I, for all of the might i tried, could not get a breath in. I panicked and ran/stumbled out of my bedroom, freaking out making a crazy loud inhaling gasp niose, just trying to get any amount of air in. This went on for longer than you want to experience. I felt myself starting to faint from lack of oxygen, but at about that time, my throat began to release just a tad to let me get a trickle of air in. I fell down on my couch, gasping, and finally, after several minutes, was able to get back to normal. While this was happening, my wife was literally freaking out screaming and hollering trying to get me to drink from a bottled water she had, but I knew I needed to be able to breath in to drink and that was not going to be an option. I knew with every second ticking down, my life was slipping away. The whole scene was traumatic, frantic, loud, and critical. It left her crying, and mad as hell, because she knew I was neglecting sleeping on my CPap. Her crying was a major thing because my wife is not an emotional gal. She is very composed and business minded. She was pissed at my rebellion to what i need to do to be healthy. I went to my sleep doctor the next week and he told me I was very fortunate. He said a large number of folks dye from that very scenario per year. Well, I've been on that sucker ever since, and I believe whole heartedly in it.

My advice to you is; Put yer big boy britches on and get the machine, quit whining about it, get used to sleeping on it, and live a good life. The alternative is scary.

Big Lenny

Been on a CPAP since July 2000. Can't sleep without it. I do get tired of all the stuff,but I like sleeping and living,so I decided when I got it I would use it no matter what. Back then most insurances did not cover the cost so I bought everything myself including the sleep study. I have 2 machines now, one a regular CPAP that is my home unit and a little travel unit. Works on battery or foreign current. I used it in Spain last year and it was great. Taking it to Hawaii and camping this year. I would not be without it. I can sleep sitting up without it but I like to lay down when I can.

Another thing to remember is only use distilled water in your humidifier!! A gallon of distilled water is only around a dollar and at Wally World, it is only 88 cents! Using tap water is not the greatest idea as there can be a lot of nasty chemicals in it which is not the greatest thing to breathe. Besides, distilled water does not leave any nasty residue in the tank...

Slept OK. I'm waiting to get my energy back like they told me!! New mask is a LOT better. Only woke up once last night. I'm usually up two to four times in a night.

Dan I have been using one for three years. I can not sleep without it yet. Here's what it has done for me......Energy level is lower now than before. I never use to get sleepy in the afternoon while driving now I do. I sleep longer and don't wake up most nights during the night. I don't snore any longer. My blood pressure has went down about 8-10 points upper and lower. When I did my overnight test they said I stopped breathing about 50 times an hour. Now I have (according to them) about 5 or 6 a night.