IGNORED

Tourney time & Retirement!!!

Yammer Dan

For a small OVC school MSU has a pretty rich basketball tradition. Several big school coaches started their head coaching careers here. Mick Cronin and Steve Prohm were the last two. Mark Gottfried was another and Houston Nutt coached football here before Arkansas and Mississippi. I don't believe we'll ever be a top NCAA school but it's fun for a small school. On another note my oldest starts U Kentucky med school this fall so I guess I'll have to support them some now.

RDawson,

I know what you mean about Murray State. They have a long winning basketball tradition. When I was young (ions ago), they were in the same conference with our local university, University of Arkansas Little Rock, (UALR), and on a number of occasions (more than I want to remember), we would be having a great year, heading toward a berth to the NCAA tournament, and Murray State would knock us off, usually in our conference tournament. Used to frustrate the crap out of the residents of Little Rock who supported the Trojans.

I remember when the U of A (Arkansas) hired Houston Nutt away from Murray State, I was shocked to find out they had a football team. I had only known them as the school that used to break UALR's heart in basketball.

RDawson,

I know what you mean about Murray State. They have a long winning basketball tradition. When I was young (ions ago), they were in the same conference with our local university, University of Arkansas Little Rock, (UALR), and on a number of occasions (more than I want to remember), we would be having a great year, heading toward a berth to the NCAA tournament, and Murray State would knock us off, usually in our conference tournament. Used to frustrate the crap out of the residents of Little Rock who supported the Trojans.

I remember when the U of A (Arkansas) hired Houston Nutt away from Murray State, I was shocked to find out they had a football team. I had only known them as the school that used to break UALR's heart in basketball.

We haven't had a good football program in several years now. I'm hoping they'll get back on track soon. Murray had the same history with football coaches years ago. Gottfried, Beamer, Zook and more. I don't know how we've attracted so many young coaches that go ahead with huge careers. My wife and oldest daughter are both alumni, pretty nice to have a local quality school. Campus is only 10 minutes from home.