IGNORED

New Venture Pricing

As a long time Stratoliner fan, I was pleased when they finally announced a new touring bike was coming.

I demoed the Venture last week. Loved the way it rode. I like the looks and all the modern appliances.

I am a bit concerned with the heat that I felt coming from the bike. WAY more than the Stratoliner. Also concerned about the cost of tires.

When I received my quote from the dealer, it was straight up MSRP pricing. And they were only going to give me $3500 for my 09 Strat.

For those you that have bought one: Did your dealer move off of MSRP? Or did you pay the full monty?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a long time Stratoliner fan, I was pleased when they finally announced a new touring bike was coming.

I demoed the Venture last week. Loved the way it rode. I like the looks and all the modern appliances.

I am a bit concerned with the heat that I felt coming from the bike. WAY more than the Stratoliner. Also concerned about the cost of tires.

When I received my quote from the dealer, it was straight up MSRP pricing. And they were only going to give me $3500 for my 09 Strat.

For those you that have bought one: Did your dealer move off of MSRP? Or did you pay the full monty?

I live in Winnipeg Canada Bought mine 2 weeks ago have not rode yet because of limited supply here and we still have snow on the ground only getting 4 TC'S so thought I better acts there is now only one left here for this year the only break I got was $300 off and 25% off accessories. Traded in my 2001 Goldwing reason for switching was on a recent 9200 KMS trip found my legs and hips bothered me on the wing. There is more stretch out leg room on the Venture I have emailed Yamaha about the complaints on heat and they said if a big issue Yamaha would send out a service advisory and rectify hope this is true we shall see the heat issue is making me a little nervous about buying but our weather is never to hot for to long

There is nothing that says you can not make an offer of cash and trade, and if they say no, turn around and head for the door. It is the walking out the door part that makes them nervous. Especially if you tell then you are torn between the V3 or a hardly. You can always come back and pay MSRP tomorrow if that is acceptable to you.

I have emailed Yamaha about the complaints on heat and they said if a big issue Yamaha would send out a service advisory and rectify hope this is true we shall see the heat issue is making me a little nervous about buying but our weather is never to hot for to long
Wonder if you can get a Yamaha Service Advisory to swap out the V-twin for a V4? That would really fix your new bike. :smile5:

Far as I know Money is green and spends all day everywhere. You can always offer. But being it is the new kid on the block, prices will probably @ MSRP for a year or so. Wait until SepT or so. Maybe prices will drop a little or you can scoop up a left over model.

I fortunately know the owners of our local Yamaha dealership and have been buying Yamaha bikes from them for 30+ years... so I was able to purchase the Eluder GT for $22,900, which included short backrest and all weather outdoor cover. A great bike!

Rich :-)

I live in Winnipeg Canada Bought mine 2 weeks ago have not rode yet because of limited supply here and we still have snow on the ground only getting 4 TC'S so thought I better acts there is now only one left here for this year the only break I got was $300 off and 25% off accessories. Traded in my 2001 Goldwing reason for switching was on a recent 9200 KMS trip found my legs and hips bothered me on the wing. There is more stretch out leg room on the Venture I have emailed Yamaha about the complaints on heat and they said if a big issue Yamaha would send out a service advisory and rectify hope this is true we shall see the heat issue is making me a little nervous about buying but our weather is never to hot for to long

I have clocked 1200 miles on my Eluder GT and have ridden in low 70 temps. I felt the heat but it was no different than my Stratoliner I rode for 10 years. The complaints appear to be during hot summer temps. I will report my findings when that time rolls around. It is the most comfortable bike I have ever owned. Love it!

I have clocked 1200 miles on my Eluder GT and have ridden in low 70 temps. I felt the heat but it was no different than my Stratoliner I rode for 10 years. The complaints appear to be during hot summer temps. I will report my findings when that time rolls around. It is the most comfortable bike I have ever owned. Love it!

Thanks for your info I am really looking forward to getting on this bike I only need the snow to disappear. I know when I sat on the Star Venure TC it fit like a glove that is what made me go from my Goldwing to it.

My dealer gave me $1,000 off as well as installing all of the goody extras I bought for free. They also gave me $200 off my new modular helmet. Fun Bike Center in San Diego is pretty good. They did however lose my helmet securing cable and haven't called me back since I pointed that out to them.

Thanks for your info I am really looking forward to getting on this bike I only need the snow to disappear. I know when I sat on the Star Venure TC it fit like a glove that is what made me go from my Goldwing to it.

The Venture is different in a few ways. Different seat, windshield etc... I sat on it and also liked it. My wife and I are not iron butts so I saw no need for the heavier machine. I have to say I was not a big fan at first watching the Yamaha videos. But when I looked at it in person, studied it with my eyes and sat on it, I was sold. It is such a well balanced machine. Turning on a dime even with two up is awesome. I loved the 1845 in my Strat. When I modded the Strat I was able to rev it to 5500 and really scoot. But it had some drawbacks. Not super smooth in between gears at lower speeds. The programmed ECU helped some. The new 1845 is different in many ways. It is a stump puller with a lower redline. I have hammered it a few times to go up hills and pass and have never seen a need to go over 3500. It has plenty of torque and is quick in sport mode. And is super smooth between gears. Smoothest bike I have ever owned and I have owned many. And I absolutely love the Eluder suspension. Easy to adjust and works like a charm. So far I am super pleased! As for the helmet cable... it is cheesy in my opinion. If the thief wanted your helmet with that cable, side cutters would do the trick. Also, the snap hook is plastic. I thought about making a pair that were beefier and longer. But hey, it works for the unprepared thief.

When you get her out and break it in, let us know your thoughts. Enjoy!

My dealer gave me $1,000 off as well as installing all of the goody extras I bought for free. They also gave me $200 off my new modular helmet. Fun Bike Center in San Diego is pretty good. They did however lose my helmet securing cable and haven't called me back since I pointed that out to them.

I have considered making a beefier pair. The stock ones are okay for the unprepared thief. However, side cutters and a hard yank on the plastic mounting hook would free up your helmet. Two came with my bike.

The Venture is different in a few ways. Different seat, windshield etc... I sat on it and also liked it. My wife and I are not iron butts so I saw no need for the heavier machine. I have to say I was not a big fan at first watching the Yamaha videos. But when I looked at it in person, studied it with my eyes and sat on it, I was sold. It is such a well balanced machine. Turning on a dime even with two up is awesome. I loved the 1845 in my Strat. When I modded the Strat I was able to rev it to 5500 and really scoot. But it had some drawbacks. Not super smooth in between gears at lower speeds. The programmed ECU helped some. The new 1845 is different in many ways. It is a stump puller with a lower redline. I have hammered it a few times to go up hills and pass and have never seen a need to go over 3500. It has plenty of torque and is quick in sport mode. And is super smooth between gears. Smoothest bike I have ever owned and I have owned many. And I absolutely love the Eluder suspension. Easy to adjust and works like a charm. So far I am super pleased! As for the helmet cable... it is cheesy in my opinion. If the thief wanted your helmet with that cable, side cutters would do the trick. Also, the snap hook is plastic. I thought about making a pair that were beefier and longer. But hey, it works for the unprepared thief.

When you get her out and break it in, let us know your thoughts. Enjoy!

Will let you know forsure but We had a snow storm so I think I have a least 3 weeks til I can get in the saddle .zTha kyou for all your info now I am getting more excited to ride

We Ride in Mesa really wants to sell me the red Venture I spent a few hours with a couple of weeks ago. They were telling me they would give me a really good deal on the bike. I kept smiling and saying I don't buy on first date!

Since then, I've had 2 calls from them asking when I'm coming back. They are not on commission so I know the sales pressure is not $$ driven by the sales guys. I'll get back to them today and give them a time frame for me to come and ride...in about 2 to 3 weeks. Waiting for warmer weather to check out the "heat issue". That would be a deal breaker for me as I've now reached the age where heat and cold does bother me enough to stop me from riding. :scorched:

Geesh, just 5 years ago I was riding in the Phoenix summer heat with full gear on, but still smiling. Interesting how this has changed!

• 3 weeks later...

I got in to River Valley Power Sports in Red Wing, MN a few weeks ago, and finally got to see the new Venture in person. They had one Venture and one Eluder on the floor along with a new Gold Wing. I was not in the market, but kicked tires long enough that the salesman actually offered the info that they would entertain offers on the Venture. "We're not going to sell it for $18000, or something like that, but we'll listen to reasonable offers." Something to that effect is what he said. It sounded as if there was definitely some room to negotiate.

Along that line, he said every bike in the showroom except the three listed above were priced within $100 or so of cost, because bikes are not moving. Side-by-side utility vehicles and pontoons were what was going out the door. They had dozens of side-by-sides lined up.

Action Sports in Marshall, MN had 2 Ventures on the floor and both had SOLD tags on them. No idea about pricing, but they were gone.

FWIW

Edited by krispy

I think right now they won't move on the MSRP ,,,, but the dealer I got mine from here never charges any extras.... They even ran my other private sale through them which gave me an extra break on sales tax on the new one.

They also gave me the use of a FJR when my SVTC was delayed 3 months,,, no charge,,,

If you want to buy one here in Ontario come/ call Brantford Motorcycle Inc.... I feel they did me good.

Brett

:thumbsup:

My dealer sold below msrp. I was happy. I also purchased almost 3 grand in accessories. I got a discount on parts too. If he wants a sale, he better be flexible

I can't comment about other Canadian provinces, but in Ontario, there has been a very enthusiastic up-take of the SVTC. It is a fabulous bike in general, technology, emotional 'American'esque' big bore, V-Twin engine configuration, and apparently the ride and handling (of which I hope to experience within the next two weeks, for myself!) Considering that Canadians are being hit in the pocket for many thousand dollars more, than their American counterparts.

It is all the more wondrous, at how many members here from Ontario, are sporting one, and everywhere else I have been haunting. I spent around 3-4 grand on Acc's as well.

Tall Boy rider's back-rest

Toe and heel shifter combo

Brake pedal pad

Mini-Day Cover

Full Storage Cover

Rider's J&M Elite Series lower Z-cord

Co-Rider's J&M Elite Series lower Z-cord

Co Rider's J&M Elite Series lower extention Z-cord

I might pick up the top rails for the side bags, only that it affords easy handling to open them...and yes...they look great as well. That wasn't though, on the must-have list, on day of delivery. I've spent enough for now.

Our list is very similar Screenshot_20180312-150244.jpg

First, thanks for all the replies on this thread!

My dealer is quoting MSRP. They also claim, as mentioned above, that they will only receive 1 Venture every three months. They were really pushing the one they had coming in next.

I also checked into the tires. Replacing both Front & Rear tires, with labor, was over $900. I tend to be tough on tires and only get 5-6K on a rear (Stratoliner).

So, I am going to hold off until 2019 and let things settle down.

I look forward to getting one these bikes. It is a sweet ride!

Another important (at least to us..) aspect of whether to buy as first year introduction...or wait until 2019 or later...is that the 5 year warranty is right now being offered as an incentive to first year adopters. I would not want to take a wager that it will be there for any following years...certainly not with the greater-than-expected up-take of this baby. You might want to factor in that 5 year warranty. Nobody is offering that...nobody ever has to date, that I am aware of...:) I don't think it will survive to the 2019 model year...not with how many they are selling this year.

The Second Gens had 5 year warranty without running any of it through an "extended warranty" process as they are doing for the new Third Gen. Not saying there is any difference from the Second to Third Gen warranty coverage, just clarifying the 5 year warranty has been in place for previous Ventures and RSTD's.

Well...here's something that might interest you...the tires, front and back, on the 2018 SVTC, are the same size and configuration as the new 2018 Honda Gold Wing Tour. So...very soon, at least three or four motorcycle tire manufacturers will be in competition for your bucks. Expect by the time the first set runs out, that prices will be hundreds of dollars cheaper than they are quoted right now for tires from a Yamaha Dealer. You should be alright in that. Wow..only one SVTC every three months...so in other words, each dealer gets one more to cover the entire 2018 riding season? Man...that's brutal. Same up here, for Ontario. My dealer got two...one grey, already delivered, and now mine ( a red) is in for this week, shortly. Dat's it for them, as he stated to me this morning... Some pis*ed off dealers out there for sure...most all, perhaps. I hope they an also sell FJR's...as many as they can get to offset this disappointment.

Another important (at least to us..) aspect of whether to buy as first year introduction...or wait until 2019 or later...is that the 5 year warranty is right now being offered as an incentive to first year adopters. I would not want to take a wager that it will be there for any following years...certainly not with the greater-than-expected up-take of this baby. You might want to factor in that 5 year warranty. Nobody is offering that...nobody ever has to date, that I am aware of...:) I don't think it will survive to the 2019 model year...not with how many they are selling this year.

Yep,, right on the money Yam!! Matter of fact,, what you are describing is already in motion.. Last year when we test rode the new TC out at Sturgis I actually discussed this with the Yamaha people.. At that time, they were quoting $570 for a rear tire and I tenderly :scared: reminded them of the known high wear factor (because of the heart throbbing torque = every time one of those coffee can sized pistons fires that rear wheel indexes :missingtooth:) on the sister bike/Stratoliner and that I wondered how well paying more for a rear tire than a person would pay for the wheel it was mounted on was gonna work out.. One of the things they mentioned to me was the "tempering" they had done thru things like additional counter balancer on the crank and also removing some "hit" by going with a single 46mm throttle body on the new one instead of twin 43mm throttle bodies like on the Strat.

I asked if the new tire was a dual compound like offered on the HD's cause I knew that on those, the center of the tire was extremely hard which gave them xtra wear resistance but the staff at Sturgis had no idea and I couldnt tell by looking at the tires on the bikes whether this was the case or not.. I was actually fairly shocked that Yamaha had gone the route of putting out a new Touring bike with a rear tire that only they would be using - I should not have been because in our "wish lists" here on the site = along with water cooling, shaft drive and a competition stomping 180 horse V-4 motor - some of us even asked them to be sure and pick common sized tires on the new ones cause some of us go thru a fair amount of tires during the season out CTFW and having a wide choice of shoes is always a good thing.. Knowing that it appeared that Mom Yam was purposely not giving us old school Venture riders what we had asked for,,, I should have not been surprised at all when I found that back tire but I still was...

That all said though,,, now fast forward to the new Wing like you mentioned... INDEED = I noticed EXACTLY what you are saying at first release of the new Wing... I also noticed that right at release on the Wing = another brand of tire was already offered!!:thumbsup:

Now both Dunny and Bridgestone are offered and, the last time I checked, prices were down to below $300 already and tour time hasnt even started yet = good old competition!! Now with Honda on the move with this new tire too,,,, I cant help but wonder if something BIG may actually be up with these new shoes you guys with the Venture get to ride on..

I know that my nephew on his Strat, riding two up and doing some touring,, the best he got out of a rear tire was 5k miles.. I also know that my wife Tippy and I, with our old 83 loaded up for a couple months touring will average a few rear tires a season (we do a fair amount of desert riding).. Couple all that and in my mind I was thinking how easy it would be for a person and his best friend doing some serious Trans Contenintal touring could easily surpass 3 or 4 thousand dollars just in tire swapping = might be cost prohibitive for some...

Now though,, I am back to wondering if maybe this new tire hasnt got some kind of special build to it.. I have heard of people running dark side and getting 20k miles out and still looking a good tread (start at (9:20 and hear what our buddy jakester says about that!!) !! Maybe this one has some Darkside blood in it :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The old Ventures like I ride cant house a car tire like Jakester was talking about (not enough head room) =wouldnt it be something if this new tire on your new bike actually produced 30 or 40 thousand rideable miles of smiles and if - after folks like you - test em out and prove them worthy - they are produced in other sizes too!!:thumbsup:

Edited by cowpuc

The Second Gens had 5 year warranty without running any of it through an "extended warranty" process as they are doing for the new Third Gen. Not saying there is any difference from the Second to Third Gen warranty coverage, just clarifying the 5 year warranty has been in place for previous Ventures and RSTD's.

I know that Polaris did 5 years on the new release of their Indian clone but I think that was only at the start.. I am pretty sure they also did that with their Victory line and I think they did it for a few years trying to reinstall consumer confidence after the tranny failures of the early 92inch bikes..

Kind of funny thing about Yamaha Zude,,,, ever take a peek at who has held the BEST built bike awards for decades now and who carries the highest consumer confidence award for motorcycles?? Crazy as it may sound,, I have read numerous times that Yamaha is the best of the best... Yet,, the carry the very best Warranty to cover bikes that break down the least:Laugh: :dancefool:

What a **great ** post..and very informative! Hello! :)

After a couple of thrill torque take downs...hey...still a kid at heart, lol...I plan to run this bike with gently 'take my time' progressive 1,500-2,200 rpm up shifts, and as I have always done in the past with our wings...I never downshift for reverse torque on the back tire. I bring the rpm's up to the downshift...run that down with no throttle..and then at the last, go into neutral as the brakes are brought into play. I like to replace the brake pads, earlier than the tire set, or the clutch plates/rear drive belt. I have had great luck in that...and could run one tire for most of a season, and a little into the following one. I'm going to carry that over to the SVTC as well. I hope my luck with tread longevity (with my M.O.) keep on with the new ride. At the least cowpuc, we now as you pointed out, have already choices from getting wazzoo'ed at the Yamaha dealer...or their footprint along our tour route. Happy rides, this year for you and your wife! Thanks for your forum involvement!

Here I am, with my traded in 2008 Wing...when we toured upper Michigan around Traverse City...last year. Two other Wing couples were with us....had a blast. Water was great, as you can see:

https://s17.postimg.org/5otvdb5j3/100_2489.jpg

https://s17.postimg.org/ln2l3g7gv/100_2506.jpg

https://s17.postimg.org/m13x2gre7/100_2507.jpg

Joe

BEAUTIFUL Joe - GORGEOUS Wing you swapped in!!!!! Congrats on the new scoot too = its almost time to head back to over this way!! WE LOVE Traverse City and riding around the bay!!! Our home is right at the start of the trail heading north and that trail includes that beautiful area you found!! Matter of fact,,, even after crossing the country many times with me,, one of my kids (youngest daughter) actually found the Tunnel of Trees to be her favorite tour = she earned the biker name "Totter = T.o.T.R. = Tunnel of Trees Rider" because of that!! You ever ride thru the town of "Bliss" up there?? One of my favorite stickers that our bike - Tweeks - has earned is her "Bliss" sticker... Just a tiny little hole in the wall up between the Tunnel and the Bridge... We are thinking about tossing together another Puc's MGnEM up that way with Hot Dogs and goodies for all in attendance... I have set up a few of them already and they always seem to go over pretty good. If you and your new scoot could make one and would enjoy it,, I will talk to my staff of Puc's MGnEM employees and maybe see if we cant set something up up there in the far north... If we do and your able to make it = bring your friends too no matter what they ride = lots of food and fun for everyone!!!

Also,,, if I know your coming - we will give that new scoot of yours **STAR** billing as I am POSITIVE folks will want to see it!!!!:dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::thumbsup::thumbsup: