IGNORED

Zero turn input

Dragonslayer

Been thinking about lawn and farm equipment. I need something to keep the back field mowed about four times a year. Been doing it with a conventional 46" riding mower but it is a slow process. The field is probably about eight acres. In fact out of twenty acres there is probably approximately 13 acres of grass to mow.

My neighbor's son is planning to move to Saint Simons island at the end of the month and is moving from a four acre property to a 1/10 acres property. So he doesn't need and has offered me his 54 " John Deere z425 Zero turn with less than 100 hours and a used twice walk behind weed eater / brush mower for $2200. Both appear to be almost new and seem to run and work flawlessly.

Question is: Is that a good deal and will the mower keep up with 13 acres of grass?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

with out doing the research on it I would say that is about half price of what a new one would cost maybe a little over. that z-turn will cut your mowing time down by maybe a third to half of the time it takes on the other mower. good luck.

The price sounds fair enough but in my opinion, that mower is not going to hold up to mowing that much grass. Especially as high as the grass will be just mowing it 4 times a year. John Deere makes some heavy duty mowers that they sell through John Deere dealers and then they make a light duty mower that they sell at the big box stores. That model is the light duty type that is sold at the box stores. It has a stamped deck and not built nearly heavy enough to do what you are asking. It will very likely be no faster than the mower you are using.

If I were looking for something to mow as much as 13 acres, I would be looking at a small/compact tractor. If I were just going to mow it 3 or 4 times a year, I would likely be looking for something with a rear PTO and then use a 5 or 6 ft. rotary mower powered off the tractors PTO. Something like a small Bush Hog. For that much property and letting the grass get that high, you are going to go through a lot of deck belts and probably drive belts as most of the light duty mowers use belts for the primary drives. Most of those cheaper stamped deck mowers have cheap pullies and etc. and you'll probably go through some of them also.

Another thing to consider would be is the property mostly flat or are there hills? Zero turns do not work as well on hills.

Even an older tractor like an 8N Ford or something along those lines would be a consideration. Around here, you can pick up old 8Ns in great running condition in that price range.

The price sounds fair enough but in my opinion, that mower is not going to hold up to mowing that much grass. Especially as high as the grass will be just mowing it 4 times a year. John Deere makes some heavy duty mowers that they sell through John Deere dealers and then they make a light duty mower that they sell at the big box stores. That model is the light duty type that is sold at the box stores. It has a stamped deck and not built nearly heavy enough to do what you are asking. It will very likely be no faster than the mower you are using.

If I were looking for something to mow as much as 13 acres, I would be looking at a small/compact tractor. If I were just going to mow it 3 or 4 times a year, I would likely be looking for something with a rear PTO and then use a 5 or 6 ft. rotary mower powered off the tractors PTO. Something like a small Bush Hog. For that much property and letting the grass get that high, you are going to go through a lot of deck belts and probably drive belts as most of the light duty mowers use belts for the primary drives. Most of those cheaper stamped deck mowers have cheap pullies and etc. and you'll probably go through some of them also.

Another thing to consider would be is the property mostly flat or are there hills? Zero turns do not work as well on hills.

Even an older tractor like an 8N Ford or something along those lines would be a consideration. Around here, you can pick up old 8Ns in great running condition in that price range.

Don,

Your advice kinda reminds me of my younger days when I would be thinking..... Like..... "She sure is pretty" and my mother would be saying... Like... "She'll be nothing but trouble and will leave you broke and heart broken"............... Back then I believe I usually opted for broke and heartbroken.

This time I think your right and think I'll keep looking for what I want. Which by the way exactly what you describe. The property is more like gently rolling hills and not that rough of terrain. But there is thirteen acres to mow and with a pto I would have other options for farm implements.

So I'm thinking small tractor with a front end loader with a PTO and 3 point hitch. Bush hog and finish mower attachment.

The problem is they seem to be pretty proud of the kind I want. So now I'm thinking. If I cut it more than four times a year what would her life expectancy be if I babied her and treated her real nice................... I am talking about farm equipment............. Aren't I?

Don,

Your advice kinda reminds me of my younger days when I would be thinking..... Like..... "She sure is pretty" and my mother would be saying... Like... "She'll be nothing but trouble and will leave you broke and heart broken"............... Back then I believe I usually opted for broke and heartbroken.

This time I think your right and think I'll keep looking for what I want. Which by the way exactly what you describe. The property is more like gently rolling hills and not that rough of terrain. But there is thirteen acres to mow and with a pto I would have other options for farm implements.

So I'm thinking small tractor with a front end loader with a PTO and 3 point hitch. Bush hog and finish mower attachment.

The problem is they seem to be pretty proud of the kind I want. So now I'm thinking. If I cut it more than four times a year what would her life expectancy be if I babied her and treated her real nice................... I am talking about farm equipment............. Aren't I?

All other considerations aside unless that 13 acres is like a golf course the zero turn will beat you to death and likely break. They're for lawns. There is also the four times/year of mowing. Around here that grass would be 2 feet tall at mowing - not a zero turn job.

Sounds more like you're mowing a pasture. That's farm equipment.

Like Don, around here 8N tractors with a brush hog are readily available for under $3k.

Edited by MiCarl

A zero turn is not a good idea if you are only going to mow a few times a year. I have a JD 925A zero turn and that's one of their bigger commercial mowers but I'd sure hate to mow 13 acres 4 times a year with it. Like others have said, I'd be looking for a good older tractor with live pto and a brush hog. I like the older Fords and Massey Fergusons for what you want to do.

We have a Friend who went from a suburban type 110' x 70' home to 7 acres. All he had when moving was a push mower.

So he 'splurged' on a small riding mower from a big chain store. After two or three cuts, averaging two or three days, he re-started the Search.

Ended up at a Deere dealer, and became fascinated with Zero Turns. Fortunately, a knowledgeable sales guy pointed out he'd be sitting with his ageing butt directly over the rear axle.

Our Friend quickly figured out his butt would get a LOT older in a hurry. Goodbye Z-Turn, enter used Compact Tractor.

Rgds, WRIDR

I'd have to agree with everyone else. you need a tractor. there are websites for farm equipment just like cars and bikes. It doesn't have to be compact either! Don't let the size intimidate you. An older IH with a 4 banger may seem used when you are used to a lawn tractor but they aren't hard to drive very simple to operate and will go thousands of hours of use with little to no maintenance. My buddy Fred still has an old Fordson and a 40's ford tractor both still run and get used almost monthly, now that he is a retired gentleman farmer.

With a full size you have the option of a belly mower or a brush hog or even a good sized powered gang mower.

With the right equipment you may find your self mowing more than 4 times a year!

A full size gives you many more options as to implements also.

Those old Farmalls never seem to die. I've spent many hours in the A, B, and C, Farmalls. Mostly raking hay when I was a teenager but also plowing fields in preparation for planting Soybeans. Most had crank starts but had been converted to electric start. They started every single day and never missed a beat.

You need a tractor and bush hog, period. I have land and mowing weekly with my 60" Toro or my twin 60" Swisher trail mowers will do fine. But I bought a 60" bush hog for some of my back land and only mow it a few times per year. No yard mower will cut two months worth of grass. A bush hog will do the job with a good tractor. My tractor is a 1946 Ford 2N and can be found for around $2000 and a 60" bush hog can be found for $200-300.

:farmer:

I appreciate the input and agree that a compact tractor is the way to go. The problem is new tractors are price prohibitive for me right now and I can't seem to I can't seem to find a used one worth considering In my price range.

Yesterday I managed some time off so I visited the local John Deere and Kubota dealers. No decent used options and the new ones are just to expensive. I did look at some heavy duty 54" zturn John Deere @ 7k and Kubota @ 6.5 k.

I don't really trust the auctions and need to be able to check out what I'm buying before i buy it. So I guess I'm still looking.

how good at wrenching are you? my son has a 1939 ford 9n that needs some work and I believe it has about a four foot bush hog with it. could be had for $600. He inherited it from his granddad and I got it running but that's as far I'm going with it. :mo money:

how good at wrenching are you? my son has a 1939 ford 9n that needs some work and I believe it has about a four foot bush hog with it. could be had for $600. He inherited it from his granddad and I got it running but that's as far I'm going with it. :mo money:

Dang that is right up my alley. I can wrench pretty Darn good when I want to or put my mind to it. Where can I come and get it. send on pics and details.

There is no difference between the 9N, 2N, and early 8N. There was a two speed after market transmission in front of the main which really added to the PTO for running conveyors at 1000 rpm (which my old 2N has) but I only use it as a road gear. You can easily convert it to a 12V system. Love the old fords. :thumbsup2:

There is no difference between the 9N, 2N, and early 8N. There was a two speed after market transmission in front of the main which really added to the PTO for running conveyors at 1000 rpm (which my old 2N has) but I only use it as a road gear. You can easily convert it to a 12V system. Love the old fords. :thumbsup2:

This one has been converted to 12V and I had rather see someone get and fix it than it sit in the yard and rot