IGNORED

Motorcycle.com comparison of 7 baggers

I enjoyed that. I didn't feel that they really picked a clear winner but certainly pointed out some likes and dislikes. I would have loved to been one of the riders on that test. For me, the Eluder was the best looking bike in the group. I really do NOT like the fairing on the Indian. The BMW actually looks great but just not my style of bike. The Harley's look good but a little dated compared to the others. Overall, the Eluder would be my choice just from watching that.

I kind of thought the one guy worked for the motor company. The way he talked about the street glide. The BMW looked like it might be interesting, and with the lower type seat height a fellow like me could maybe touch ground. I was surprised none of the reviews commented about the heat, which seems to be a complaint with riders.

I kind of thought the one guy worked for the motor company. The way he talked about the street glide. The BMW looked like it might be interesting, and with the lower type seat height a fellow like me could maybe touch ground. I was surprised none of the reviews commented about the heat, which seems to be a complaint with riders.

They talked about the weather being 70 degrees instead of very cold in the desert. That may be why heat wasn't mentioned. It wasn't an issue on this particular test.

I really enjoyed the vid Sky,, thanks a gazillion for posting it up!! :thumbsup:

One thing I would take issue with from personal experience = the whole "Indian has the best resale value" thing.. Harley Davidson still has the best resale value = bar none IMHO.. Actually, I was surprised at the suggestion that Indian was even considered in that category and as far as the Eluder goes (given a close second?) - the "Venture" line has a very poor history of holding resale value (IMHO of course) and the Eluder hasn't been out long enough to even begin to show any evidence that that has changed.. Truly (IMHO), HD has always been benchmark and as far as what those HD values mean, my experience has been = as HD goes, so goes the market/resale values of all the rest, HD drops by 50% - they all drop by at least 50% = again - that is my opinion and what my experience has been with em..

The theme of the video seemed to be one of answering the question of "which one of these 7 would you spend your money on if you had to choose one of these baggers".. Considering that I would view a new "bagger" as a 1 up bike used for 1 up excursions - be it cross country or playing around town. I still would have to consider "heat" because I just know that sooner or later - I would be either headed west into desert heat to a rally or down into the high humidity/high heat south to one.. Considering that even though I have no passengers legs to worry about burning = I still gotta say that I am not one of those bikers who find the joy in burning my own lower extremities. Not being one of the types who, as I read in a recent report about the top 5 baggers, needs to feel the heat of the engine/exhaust to enjoy my bike,, I would still look at water cooling as a major major plus even on my "bagger".

Not much has changed since I spent some time developing my 3rd Gen wish list for Mom Yam like many of our club members did and, truthfully,, thinking about it here,, I must be pretty set in my ways cause not much has changed here.. Matter of fact,, even having mid-ship foot pegs for standing up on for better control when off roading or playing in a parking lots is high on my list.

I also know that I LOVE the thrill and huge :big-grin-emoticon::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::Bunny::nanner::Laugh: I get from riding a wicked fast scoot = I REALLY get off on doing my best "Snidley Whiplash laugh" when, with just a slight twist of the throttle my scoot and I watch those headlights disappear in the mirror's (I KNOW,, flaw in my character but its how I am :checkeredflag::rotfl:).. Don't get me wrong, I do LOVE the sound of a 45 degree kaa tater dee tater dee tater dee tater big twin but WOWZY,, for my bagger needs - a 6 cylinder scoot that sounds like a Formula 1 race car as well as performing sort of like one definitely adds icing to the cake when in the process of wicking up another :big-grin-emoticon::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::Bunny::nanner: bye bye time... So the Beemer it would be for this old bent up lop eared club house varmint BUT,, that said,, please know that I would still be honored to ride with ANY and ALL of you Big Twin Bagger Brothers of mine and I would try to keep my Snidley Whiplash laugh to a minimum as my Bagger Beemer and I went flying by ya's while I was standing on the pegs waving bye bye :cool10:...

Edited by cowpuc

After going to their web site and reading the article, I see that only 2 of the bikes are water cooled, the BMW and the Kawasaki. The Kawasaki is the second lightest and has a dry clutch as well as being the least expensive by a lot. If I was into baggers which I am not or at least at this time, I think I'd have to take a hard look at the Kawasaki.

After going to their web site and reading the article, I see that only 2 of the bikes are water cooled, the BMW and the Kawasaki. The Kawasaki is the second lightest and has a dry clutch as well as being the least expensive by a lot. If I was into baggers which I am not or at least at this time, I think I'd have to take a hard look at the Kawasaki.

To me, you bringing up those valid points about the Kawi has a real sense of irony about it Sky. On the way in from an out of town little Medical Research trip, Tip and I needed some fun time so we stopped to look at scoots - dead of winter,, slow paced sales floor and all that - LOTS OF FUN!!

No new stuff was in yet but the dealership did have a couple year old left over Kawi Voyagers which are the tour bike episode of the bagger in the comparison.. I actually liked the "retro-sports car" dash and Tip and I were admiring the fairing lines (pretty cool,, definitely a look of its own like the new Venture/Eluder) when the sales guy announced $11900 OTD = take one home says he :big-grin-emoticon:, of course I was :scared:..

Edited by cowpuc

Another vote for the Eluder I guess because Yamaha has stood the test for me since I had that 56 Pan. Push button & GO!! Kicking til the sweat runs off your chin in a stream still sticks in my head!!!

How do ya tell the guy's with the magneto Panhead's from the one's without?? The guys with the magneto Pan's have 2 more inches of muscle on their right legs than on their left:178:

Talk about those old Hardleys that would give ya crows feet from kicken em,,, the kid that bought my Chopped 59 (see pic,,, tossed in an old pic I just found of a '39 Chief basket I picked up too that I thought you might get a "kick" out of) call's me the day after picking it up and says "I must of kicked this piece of junk 1000 times last night and IT WILL NOT START!! Please tell me again which direction the toggles go for "Start".. All forward I said,, all forward I did he says and it still wont start..

I said,, "did you listen when I told you and showed you how to start the old Loner?".. He says "to the letter".. Lets go over it one more time I said:

Toggles back (ignition off), gas on, throttle closed, choke on, roll thru twice on kicker, full retard on magneto then slight advance, Toggles forward, roll kicker over lightely until you feel the cams put pressure on the valves - keep pressing down until you feel the cam lobes rock between exhaust and intakes,, straight leg kick it like ya mean it and DO NOT sissy kick it with a bent knee cause it will hyper extend your knee and break it (very painful = those early XLCH's had VERY tricky kicker mechs).. If it dont start in 2 kicks, open the choke and give er some throttle and try again...

Kid to me: tell me gain about getting it between the exhausts and intakes = I forgot about that part :guitarist 2::happy34::happy65:

Hearing ya bro on the FACT that Yamaha has the best of the best history of rider satifaction/dependability!! Was reading not long ago that we have OWNED that for a long time now!!! YAMAHA - TODAY IS THE DAY!!:cool10:

73honda74tc185jasonwallpics 085.jpg

73honda74tc185jasonwallpics 050.jpg

73honda74tc185jasonwallpics 049.jpg

73honda74tc185jasonwallpics 043.jpg

73honda74tc185jasonwallpics 040.jpg

73honda74tc185jasonwallpics 041.jpg

73honda74tc185jasonwallpics 014.jpg

73honda74tc185jasonwallpics 013.jpg

73honda74tc185jasonwallpics 012.jpg

73honda74tc185jasonwallpics 011.jpg

Edited by cowpuc

I got one pic of my 56 somewhere Puc. Gonna make a effort to find it and put it on here. 56 Pan Complete Hardtail frame. Raked 46 degrees. Extended 16 inches. Frame drilled and wiring ran thru frame. Wasn't much. Headlight taillight... Candy Apple Red with Gold fleck. 24 inch sissy bar & king/ queen to match.18 inch apes. I had a bunch of pics but that Ex-wife really knew how ta hurt!!!

Edited by Yammer Dan

I got one pic of my 56 somewhere Puc. Gonna make a effort to find it and put it on here. 56 Pan Complete Hardtail frame. Raked 46 degrees. Extended 16 inches. Frame drilled and wiring ran thru frame. Wasn't much. Headlight taillight... Candy Apple Red with Gold fleck. 24 inch sissy bar & king/ queen to match.18 inch apes. I had a bunch of pics but that Ex-wife really knew how ta hurt!!!

I would be HONORED and THRILLED to get a peek of that chopped Pan of yours if ya find a pic of er bro = definitely right up my alley!! Those for real long bikes raked out past 38 degrees and surfin on above 12 over are magical IMHO.. The ride they produced when done right was second to none... I know what cha mean by it not being much,,, in fact,,, other than the amazing paint some folks stuck on em and the extreme care we had to take in getting the "trail" spot on so they didnt "flop" or go ape crazy in the steering like a grocery cart at high speed - none of em were really much , pretty simple really but WAYYYYY cool and fun in their basic bike soul!!!/

Yea bro,, if ya bump into a pic = I would LOVE to get a peek!!

• 2 weeks later...

I rode the BMW 1600B and was not overjoyed... no low end torque. It is all the way up in the higher RPMs. Refined? I would say yes. Looks? Okay. Comfort? Okay. My Eluder GT is a much better bike in my opinion. I sat on the Streetglide. It looks nice. But I was concerned about reliability. And you know what they say about Harley Davidsons. Ride ‘me on the weekend and take ‘me to the shop during the week.

My two cents :-)

Rich

I owned the Vaquero for one year and had problems with it. I liked the looks. However, I had to put a Mustang seat on it as their stock seat sucked. I also had to install a taller windscreen as the buffeting with the Mustang seat was unacceptable. Sticky lifters after short storage was a bummer too. Kawasaki recommended 10-15 minute warmups before riding. What a pain the backside! Belt wine was annoying. It rattled over bumps and the suspension was rough even after tweaking adjustments. Power was okay but not great. Had to full throttle to pass at high rpm. I did see an improvement with a K&N filter. I liked my Strat much better. The Eluder for me is the best bike I have ever owned. Great machine!

My two cents :-)

Rich