IGNORED

Oil capacity of the rear differential

And .2l equals 6.76 oz. or a hair over 2/3 cup. Lube is thick so it will likely not all drain out, your actual use may be a bit less.

I run full synthetic in the rear, with the small amount needed it is cheap to run. A quart is almost 5 oil changes. After 100 miles on the interstate, pulling my trailer, dino has the rear fairly warm to the touch, the synthetic is still very close to ambient temp. This tells me there is less friction happening.

Oh, and by the way: It's not a differential, a differential allows two different driven wheels move at different speeds. You've only got one driven wheel so......

It is called a final drive. On your car or truck the final drive is integrated into the differential.

Ok drained the old oil out and got maybe and I mean maybe a 1/4 cup at most . I have only had this bike barely a year bought off of a dealer with 12,000 miles on it who was supposed to have serviced everything including the final drive. Oil was black but absolutely no filings on the magnet so I’m pretty sure no damage was done. I refilled it to the bottom of the bottom of the threads of the fill hole . Correct?? Do I need to run and recheck? Also do this oil lubricant the drive shaft on a 1997 or is there a seal at the end of the pumpkin? Just trying to figure out where the oil went ? No signs of leaks anywhere on the bike.

You could only be sure by checking the level before you drain it.

Full to the threads is correct.

The final drive oil also lubricates the final drive end of the drive shaft. No need to worry about that unless you pull it apart.

The engine end of the final drive shaft gets grease. Not a bad idea to pull it apart anytime you have the rear wheel off and lube it. I think Yamaha probably calls for a lithium soap based grease but I prefer a moly grease for that application. Moly grease should also be applied to the splines on the rear wheel drive hub.

I looked in before I drained it and couldn’t see the oil at all . So I drained it and got out what I got out. Any idea where the h e - - the oil might have gone if I have no signs of leakage? Unless the dealer didn’t fill it properly which is always possible? Is there a seal at the lower end where it bolts to the outer tube that could be leaking and filling up the tube ?

Edited by Deisel Rick

I looked in before I drained it and couldn’t see the oil at all . So I drained it and got out what I got out. Any idea where the h e - - the oil might have gone if I have no signs of leakage? Unless the dealer didn’t fill it properly which is always possible? Is there a seal at the lower end where it bolts to the outer tube that could be leaking and filling up the tube ?

See here.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?95242-To-Lube-or-Not-to-Lube-That-is-the-question