IGNORED

Torque Wrench Recommendation?

BlueSky

I have the need for a torque wrench that can measure 72 in. lbs. Anybody have any recommendations for a quality unit? I was looking at a Proto or Matco.

My 2005 Dodge Magnum RT has a Mercedes transmission and this model is infamous for the electro-hydraulic conductor plate failing. It is mounted on top of the valve body and the valve body bolts have a torque rating of 72 in. lbs. That is the need. I'm tempted to do the job with my calibrated arms. It's 6 ft. lbs which shouldn't be too hard to guess at.

Edited by BlueSky

See if autozone has one for loan out. Or option 2 is check a place called tooltopia.com. We have bought quite a bit of tools from them for the college I work at in the last couple years. We bought5 1/2 drive jobs and 2 or 3 3/8 inch pound that are gearwrench. Nice quality and if teen agers aint killed them yet they must be good.

Biggest issue would be to get them all as close as possible. I find that 6ft lbs is a bit hard to guess at. It would be a lot better to guess at 100ft lbs. At 6 if you're out by 10% that is quite a bit of torque, Best get some sort of tool that will produce something a little close to equal I think.

Harbor Freight sells a 1/4" torque wrench that goes from 20 - 200 inch pounds. It sells for 19.99 but is often on sale for less.

I know it isnt the quality of a professional torque wrench for for just the occasional use it should work for you.

Rick F.

Harbor Freight sells a 1/4" torque wrench that goes from 20 - 200 inch pounds. It sells for 19.99 but is often on sale for less.

I know it isnt the quality of a professional torque wrench for for just the occasional use it should work for you.

Rick F.

I did look at the HF 1/4" drive torque wrench and they are out of stock. I also looked at Lowes.com and the one they sell Tekton has only a few reviews and they are all bad. When I needed a torque wrench for a 221 ft lb torque for the front wheel spindle on my truck, I bought the Lowes brand Kobalt.

Unless you have a way to test them, I don't know how you tell if one is accurate or not. I have a 1/2" in ft.lbs. and a 3/8" in in.lbs. that are both Craftsman. I have another 3/8" in.lb. that I picked up at Advance Auto. The one from Advanced Auto was only about $20.00. They are all the click type and seem to work fine but how do you really know?

Unless you have a way to test them, I don't know how you tell if one is accurate or not. I have a 1/2" in ft.lbs. and a 3/8" in in.lbs. that are both Craftsman. I have another 3/8" in.lb. that I picked up at Advance Auto. The one from Advanced Auto was only about $20.00. They are all the click type and seem to work fine but how do you really know?

There is a machine to test them.

In my case I have a 2nd set (Harbor Freight) that are only used occasionally to validate my daily users. The HF adjusters are rough and hard to turn - feel almost like there is sand in them, not something you'd want to use every day. They do seem to be accurate though.

I have the need for a torque wrench that can measure 72 in. lbs. Anybody have any recommendations for a quality unit? I was looking at a Proto or Matco.

My 2005 Dodge Magnum RT has a Mercedes transmission and this model is infamous for the electro-hydraulic conductor plate failing. It is mounted on top of the valve body and the valve body bolts have a torque rating of 72 in. lbs. That is the need. I'm tempted to do the job with my calibrated arms. It's 6 ft. lbs which shouldn't be too hard to guess at.

I may have to come over and borrow your torque wrench when your done.

I'm getting ready to do my 05 Magnum RT conductor plate next as well.

Doesn't look difficult to do if its up in the air enough so we don't keep bumping our heads.

Have you purchased your plate, dipstick, and filter yet? Got my stuff on eBay and for a great prices.

Trans shop wanted $750.00 to do the job I can do for under $150.00

Let me know how yours goes and I'll do the same.

I may have to come over and borrow your torque wrench when your done.

I'm getting ready to do my 05 Magnum RT conductor plate next as well.

Doesn't look difficult to do if its up in the air enough so we don't keep bumping our heads.

Have you purchased your plate, dipstick, and filter yet? Got my stuff on eBay and for a great prices.

Trans shop wanted $750.00 to do the job I can do for under $150.00

Let me know how yours goes and I'll do the same.

Come on over! You are welcome any time!

I bought the conductor plate from rockauto.com for about $150. All the parts stores seem to sell the same brand which is Dorman. I was quoted about $1600 at the dealer to do the job, $900, and $500 at two transmission shops. The dealer wanted $963 for just the conductor plate. A while back I bought a dipstick from B&M that is designed to stay in place. I'm not sure I trust it though. According to it, my transmission was overfull and I had had the dealer check it a couple years prior to that. Yeah, what I dread the most is getting that beast up off the ground high enough to work under it. Being so low to the ground and with the unibody construction it ain't like my old chevy's. After getting this dang Shingles under control, I will tackle the job and let you know how it turned out.

Interesting conversation.

I bought 3 HF torque wrenches for the workbench last year. Had to order a Tekton 3/8ths as the HF was all over the place in it's calibration and it was hard to hear/feel the "click". The Tekton is far better. I can hear/feel the click everytime. For the few extra bux, I think I'll stay with Tekton for 3/8ths.

The 1/2 inch HF works perfectly. The 1/4inch HF hasn't been used enough for me to know.

Accuracy? Yep...read the instructions. Tekton has a line at the bottom of the scale to set your wrench torque to where the spring tension is at rest.

Also.... Read V7Goose's calibration procedure on this site.

Thanks for the link. I just ordered a torque wrench, the Capri Tools 31200 20-150 Inch Pound Industrial Torque Wrench, 1/4" Drive. Supposed to be made in Taiwan. I ordered it from Home Depot. Free shipping from Home Depot. I don't like Bezos politics.

Come on over! You are welcome any time!

I bought the conductor plate from rockauto.com for about $150. All the parts stores seem to sell the same brand which is Dorman. I was quoted about $1600 at the dealer to do the job, $900, and $500 at two transmission shops. The dealer wanted $963 for just the conductor plate. A while back I bought a dipstick from B&M that is designed to stay in place. I'm not sure I trust it though. According to it, my transmission was overfull and I had had the dealer check it a couple years prior to that. Yeah, what I dread the most is getting that beast up off the ground high enough to work under it. Being so low to the ground and with the unibody construction it ain't like my old chevy's. After getting this dang Shingles under control, I will tackle the job and let you know how it turned out.

I got my plate for $66.00 and since 99% of them are made at the same place I shopped for the best price.

Ordered a filter and pan gasket on ebay as well for $18,50 including shipping.

I got the dip stick that you have to take out because it has the ML markings on it. Have to check the level when hot, 180* and above.

I found this info while searching fluid levels and such. one blog said to start with 5qts (4.73 L) then add as needed and another stated it will take 5.0 L (10.6 pints)

I plan to do mine first of next week and will let you know how it goes.

Nag-Fluid 1.jpgNag-Fluid 2.jpg

I just looked at my parts. The electrical plug housing is a Dorman brand made in china. The filter is a Wix made in Taiwan. And the conductor plate is supposed to be a Dorman but the only name on it is Mercedes Benz which is on the plate in two places along with the Mercedes symbol. This makes me guess that Dorman makes the plate for Mercedes.

Edited by BlueSky

• 2 months later...

When my wife gets mad at me...and starts to grit her teeth...I quickly test the torque...by slipping in the 1/2 inch that has been set to 5,000 foot pounds of torque between her closing teeth. After she bites down and when I feel it click...I know that it is calibrated pretty much. Just use the Wife Test for calibration. Works like a charm!

The end of this story is disappointing. The transmission did need a conductor plate but it also needed replacement. There was more sludge in the pan than I usually see and after the conductor plate was installed, it worked for a short distance and the filter plugged with the transmission whining and slipping. Opening up the old filter revealed that it was plugged even worse. Sooo, the car is in a transmission shop waiting on a remanufactured transmission to arrive. This is the first auto transmission failure I have had and the transmission is a Mercedes trans. I bought the car new and it now has 108k miles on it. I drive aggressively for an old guy but nothing like compared to a young pup. A large portion of the miles on this car was interstate miles with the cruise set when I was contracting away from home. The shop gets its remans from a company in Milwaukee, WI called ETE. Like they say, if it burns gasoline or has teets, it's going to cost you some serious green.