IGNORED

Shingles Suck!

BlueSky

Late last week, shingles jumped on me. I suppose I should have taken the shingles preventive shot. I didn't realize just how bad it is. The blisters on my left butt cheek and left thigh aren't so bad but it affects the nerves. I've had lots of pain in my left hip and I never had pain in my left hip before and pain in my left knee. A large area on the front side of my knee feels numb. It only attacks one side of the body for some strange reason. It was impossible to sleep much for several nights because of the hip pain. After a couple days, I realized it wasn't caused by an allergic reaction but was shingles and yesterday went to a doctor and go some meds. I felt really bad for several days but the meds are working and this afternoon is the first time in several days I felt somewhat normal. The doctor didn't say to do this but I also have been putting HL30 Herpicin, a lip ointment on the blisters since the shingles virus is a version of the herpes virus. Soooo, if you have had chickenpox you may get shingles too. The shot may be something to consider.

Edited by BlueSky

Had what was luckily a relatively minor case of shingles a few years back and can attest to how painful it was, and that was a minor case. Good luck, I hope it doesn't stay long.

While on this cancer regimine I take a Valtrex every nite to keep from getting the shingles, they suggested not to get the vaccine as it contains live virus, there is a new vacine coming out soon.

Take care, Craig

I've seen a tv ad a couple of times in the last week, a law firm advertising for clients who have had bad effects after taking the shingles prevention vaccine. Evidently, some who have taken it have gotten shingles or had other complications. My sister took the shot and had no ill effects and she hasn't had shingles.

I feel for you. Although I haven't had them I was taking care of my mother when she got them bad.

A friend of mine is one tough character. He has had two ankles and legs broken extremely bad from oil field accident. When he was a young buck he shot himself in the leg trying a fast draw. He still rides a dirt bike, rides long distances, plus runs a marathon once in awhile . He works when he is sick. His back bothers him often. BUT, when he had shingles he asked his wife to put a bullet in his head. Thankfully she refused and locked up his guns.

He got over them but he still bit**es about them. I have known him since 1984 and I have never heard him complain much about ailments but shingles got to him.

I was old enough to get the shot so within 24 hours of talking to him I got the shot. I just hope it works.

I wish you the best.

You know when I first seen this thread I was thinking the kind that go on a roof!! Sounds like I may need vaccine? I am wary of those too!! I had chicken pocks back when I was 8, My mom sent me to friends house to tell him to get well 2 days later woke up itching like a mug. I seen a funny thing what was it southpark where they had chicken pock parties so there kids would get them while they were kids and not get them as adults.... Makes me wonder if that is really what my mom did!! lol:Avatars_Gee_George: Hope you get well soon and chicken pocks from what I remember well for lack of better word.. SUCKED, if shingles is worse OBOY!!:sick:

I started taking Valtrex 3 days ago and the Dr. prescribed Tylenol/Codeine for pain. I have been taking ibuprofen too for the pain. And the pain has almost gone away. The blisters are drying up. But the last couple of days my left knee the affected knee will collapse on me if I put too much weight on it or let it bend too far. I fell today because of the knee collapseing and I had been doing a set of 50 squats 3 times a week before this debacle. I'm on the mend though and I'm very grateful for that.

Way back when I thought I'd been bitten by a spider in the left small of my back. Went to ER and while they were doing their check-in an older

nurse comes in and sez to show her the bite. She takes one look and sez hmph.. Shingles. So the doc comes in a tells me it'll generally lasts about 6 weeks, and gives me a prescription for some salve. So I fill it and it's for a case of the stuff. I go home, slather on the salve, and in about a week the damn stuff disappears. Hasn't ever come back. Knock on wood!! :thumbsup2:

I had a mild case on the side of my face 1 year ago. Had not gotten the shot cause insurance would not cover it till I turn 60. As soon as I turned 60 got the shot. Dr told me it can come back and when it does it usually come back in the same place and it's always on the same side. I know of folks who had it on their face and got into their eye. That is supposed to be the worse.

Way back when I thought I'd been bitten by a spider in the left small of my back. Went to ER and while they were doing their check-in an older

nurse comes in and sez to show her the bite. She takes one look and sez hmph.. Shingles. So the doc comes in a tells me it'll generally lasts about 6 weeks, and gives me a prescription for some salve. So I fill it and it's for a case of the stuff. I go home, slather on the salve, and in about a week the damn stuff disappears. Hasn't ever come back. Knock on wood!! :thumbsup2:

That salve is probably no longer available because they fed a rat 10lbs of it and it got cancer.

I had a mild case on the side of my face 1 year ago. Had not gotten the shot cause insurance would not cover it till I turn 60. As soon as I turned 60 got the shot. Dr told me it can come back and when it does it usually come back in the same place and it's always on the same side. I know of folks who had it on their face and got into their eye. That is supposed to be the worse.

the doc is right,you can get it more then once and sometimes worse then before.

Late last week, shingles jumped on me. I suppose I should have taken the shingles preventive shot. I didn't realize just how bad it is. The blisters on my left butt cheek and left thigh aren't so bad but it affects the nerves. I've had lots of pain in my left hip and I never had pain in my left hip before and pain in my left knee. A large area on the front side of my knee feels numb. It only attacks one side of the body for some strange reason. It was impossible to sleep much for several nights because of the hip pain. After a couple days, I realized it wasn't caused by an allergic reaction but was shingles and yesterday went to a doctor and go some meds. I felt really bad for several days but the meds are working and this afternoon is the first time in several days I felt somewhat normal. The doctor didn't say to do this but I also have been putting HL30 Herpicin, a lip ointment on the blisters since the shingles virus is a version of the herpes virus. Soooo, if you have had chickenpox you may get shingles too. The shot may be something to consider.

:scared:

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thoughts and Prayers Up Sky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the heads up here to brother!!!:grandpa:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the blisters were all healed up by the 2nd week. Most of the pain in my left hip was gone by the end of the 3rd week. My left knee is still numb on the front and I still have pain in the joint. My knee is also still very weak collapsing and causing me to fall several times. (I could do 50 squats before this.) The Dr. gave me a 2 day supply of codeine/tylenol in the beginning. I made it last a week by taking a bunch of ibuprofen. She prescibed another 2 day supply twice more that I made last two more weeks. I tell you guys. If you have had chickenpox, get the shot because you don't want this crap. It's been totally miserable for over 3 weeks now. Not knowing any better, I thought that shingles was just a bunch of blisters. Nope, it attacks the nerves and hurts really bad. But the worst is over and I'll be riding again real soon I hope!

When it hit my wife,she never got over the pain and her health in general began to decline. I hope you are right that you are about over the worst of it and there will be no residual side effects.

Really sorry to hear that Paul. I have a nephew who got it bad when he was in his 40's I think. He was very macho and active working two jobs. He said he had to quit both jobs and it was about a year before he recovered completely. I'm optimistic about my recovery but it has been 3 of the worst weeks of my life so far. The last time the doctor renewed the codeine pills she also prescribed an anti-depressant that I didn't buy. Maybe I should have. I didn't ask for a 4th weeks 2 day supply of codeine because she was so worried I'd become addicted. Kind of ticked me off. I took the stuff sparingly and I'm not the addictive type. Ibuprofen will do the job from here on though if it doesn't destroy my stomach.

The Dr. prescribed a 2 day supply of codeine/tylenol (12 pills) 3 times over 3 weeks and they helped with the nerve pain. I took it sparingly and my last 1/2 pill last Sunday. Monday, I felt terrible, no energy at all, I could barely drag myself around the house. Tuesday I felt a little better and Wednesday I felt more normal. I think I may have been going through withdrawal from the opiate. If so, that is really addictive stuff.

• 1 month later...

It has been over 2 months now and although my left knee is very slowly recovering, there is still some numbness and weakness in the joint. I am able to do 12 squats though with my right knee doing a little more than half the work. (Was doing 50 squats)

Saturday before last, I drank 3 beers. The following Monday, I felt really bad with chills, fever, and aching all over. I felt just like I did right after I got shingles so I believe it was the shingles causing this. It took 4 days to recover. And that caused some sort of uti. So, I went back on Valtrex for the shingles and cipro for the uti. Seems it's going to take another month or two for my knee to recover completely. I'm glad this didn't happen when I was working because I would have missed a lot of work. Just letting you guys and gals know what you might be in for if you get shingles.