IGNORED

Diet Pop??

Yammer Dan

Gym starting to work a little for me but weight needs addressed now. I have changed my eating habits somewhat. Trying to eat better and a little less but not loosing any. Stuck at 240. I drink Diet Pop and too much of it. I've heard that cutting it out will help with weight. Anyone had any experience along that line???

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gym starting to work a little for me but weight needs addressed now. I have changed my eating habits somewhat. Trying to eat better and a little less but not loosing any. Stuck at 240. I drink Diet Pop and too much of it. I've heard that cutting it out will help with weight. Anyone had any experience along that line???
Diet soda may have zero calories but your body does not know that. When drinking diet soda with other food the body assumes the sweetness is loaded with calories and stores much of the food as fat for later. Problem is there are no calories from the soda so your body crashes and wants more food. Stored fat is more difficult to turn into energy so you end up snacking. Probably mostly on junk food. The sugar rush you get from pop is addictive whether it is from artificial or real sugar.

The most healthy diets include no more than 1/3 of your plate be meat, 1/3 vegetables and 1/3 high fiber or resistant starches. High fiber would be lentils, beans, quinoia, brown rice and potatoes. To make rice and potatoes resistant starch, cook them and put in frig for the next day. Lentils, beans and quinoia are a good source of low fat protein. Fiber and protein take a while to digest so help to keep you from wanting a snack. Healthy fats such as olive oil are also part of a good diet and will help to extend the time it takes before you get hungry again. Eating real food every 4 to 5 hours should stop you from needing a snack. It does for me anyway.

Diet soda may have zero calories but your body does not know that. When drinking diet soda with other food the body assumes the sweetness is loaded with calories and stores much of the food as fat for later. Problem is there are no calories from the soda so your body crashes and wants more food. Stored fat is more difficult to turn into energy so you end up snacking. Probably mostly on junk food. The sugar rush you get from pop is addictive whether it is from artificial or real sugar.

The most healthy diets include no more than 1/3 of your plate be meat, 1/3 vegetables and 1/3 high fiber or resistant starches. High fiber would be lentils, beans, quinoia, brown rice and potatoes. To make rice and potatoes resistant starch, cook them and put in frig for the next day. Lentils, beans and quinoia are a good source of low fat protein. Fiber and protein take a while to digest so help to keep you from wanting a snack. Healthy fats such as olive oil are also part of a good diet and will help to extend the time it takes before you get hungry again. Eating real food every 4 to 5 hours should stop you from needing a snack. It does for me anyway.

Agreed!!! and stay away from bread!!!!

Diet sodas are the worst thing you can drink you’re better off drinking light beer which doesn’t make your body store fat and calories.

Best way I found to loose weight was only eating half of what was on my plate including what I put on it at home. Saved the remainder for lunch the following day.

Started drinking water and had 2 light beers in the evening (helps you get rid of toxins in the kidneys) and no!!! 6 isn’t better. I lost 23 lbs in 5 weeks doing this.

Do whatever feels right for you but get off sodas/pop all together.

Hope you get to feeling better and good luck.

cut sugars, carbs and all pops from your menu. Eating just meat and vegetables is the way to go. The body needs sugar and will break down fat to get it.. By eating carbs and sugars you are supplying the body with surplus ready made sugar and so the fats go into storage instead of being broken down.

A diet of meat and vegetables along with proper exercise, will also help curb snacking. Carbs and sugars encourage you to snack more.

Avoid drinking fluids with your meal, this only dilutes the body's digestive juices. drink an hour before or an hour after your meals preferably just warm or hot water. AND CUT OUT THE DESSERTS.

Last only eat enough to satisfy your hunger, don't stuff yourself. pushing aside the remainder of your meal and saving it to be used as leftovers for another time is very effective. Mixing up small batches of leftovers makes for interesting meals.

Edited by saddlebum

I quit drinking pop years ago. First I switched to diet soda, then diet caffeine free soda and then asked myself what the heck am i drinking pop with artificial sweetener and caffein free. Now, I only drink distilled water and coffee. Maybe an occasional 3 beers!

In the west they say whiskey is for drinking; water is for fighting.

There's gonna be a lot of fighting in the years ahead. Hopefully, some whiskey drinking, too, at least for me.

And coffee will be $8 per cup for artisanal free-range blah blah blah. It already is in Portland. The local donut shop has good $1 coffee, but then there are those 2 donuts that follow me home!!

Have you considered a pool exercise program? My wife does aquatic yoga and loves it because the water takes all the weight off the body and you still get a good workout.
I am country I go to creeks and rivers in summer. I had to cancel my y membership temporarily till we get past this hiccup.

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

This stupid leg holds me back a lot in the gym. I've got a case or two of diet pop stocked up. I think when it is gone I'll make a serious try to do the Ice Water. My workout are limited to upper body but just yesterday did some leg presses and it doesn't seem to be overly sore this morning. The thing hurts all the time so it is hard to tell. I've always pushed thru injuries but have been skeered of this one for some reason. Time to call it out!!!! Watching food I have cut down need to watch a little more "what" I eat. But the Warden is such a GREAT Cook.:fatsmiley::bang head:

Agreed!!! and stay away from bread!!!!
Rather than staying away from bread, make your own whole wheat multi grain bread. Most, if not all, off the shelf whole wheat bread is partially refined flour which is what turns it into junk food. Whole wheat, whole grain bread is actually good for you.

Read the label on everything you buy to eat. A lot of the food for sale is actually of questionable value and it is often necessary to decode the information you are given.

I've got a case or two of diet pop stocked up. I think when it is gone I'll make a serious try to do the Ice Water.Watching food I have cut down need to watch a little more "what" I eat.
So, you are not yet serious about losing weight and eating healthy? Go cold turkey and give that crap away.

But the Warden is such a GREAT Cook.
Great cooks can cook healthy nutritionally balanced food as well. Making healthy choices taste good takes some knowledge and ability so you are lucky to have her.

Started out on a long winded rant and deleted it. Say no to artificial sweeteners of any kind.

I cant agree enough. Artificial sweeteners are not a good thing. If you want a pop occasionally then have one, occasionally. If your really wanting to shed some pounds then the pop has to go. That diet pop you have, I would pitch that stuff right into the dumpster today.

If your serious about loosing weight then do what you can with a hindered leg, mad weight training wont help you as much as some decent cardio a few times a week. Hydrotherapy or swimming is a good way to get exercise without stressing joints and bones that already hurt. If you have a local Y or gym with a pool that might be a great way to get some low impact cardio.

I hate the word diet, moderation is a more achievable goal for most, myself included. The less processed foods you eat the better. Pop, chips, TV dinners and the like will not make it easy to loose any weight. Buy some meats, some fruits/veggies and be ready to do some meal prep. The internet is full of great simple recipes for eating less calories and cooking light. I bake my fried chicken now instead of frying, it's damn good really. As said, anything with artificial sweeteners should be avoided. I have a hard time believing artificial sweeteners arent black listed by the FDA. Things like chips, pop and processed snacks are going to work against you in a big way. One thing you can do is keep a food diary for a month, then tally it up and look at it. This is a sobering experience. The thing about extreme diets is they tend to be short lived where moderation is something that can also be effective with some self-discipline. Pop and anything with artificial sweeteners has to go now. Keep processed foods and sugars to a minimum and plan to do a little simple cooking. When I cook I make large amounts and divvy it up into serving size Tupperware containers and freeze. I really dont want to cook every time I want to eat but I really dont want to start loading up on processed crap either so this is one way I found to keep it simple. Good luck on this, eating a little less and a little more exercise is something I suspect many of us would benefit from.

I would like to thank Dan for starting this thread. 12 yrs ago I was put on a medicine for high blood pressure. At that time I was 170lbs within 6 months I gained double that. I walked, ride bikes and worked. I got injured at work and this was the beginning of that 6 months. 2010 started seeing the late Dr Gallemore. He took me off that medication I went from having swelled legs, and being 350lbs to 275lbs almost immediately. I have been struggling to lose the rest. 2013 he diagnosed me being prediabetic... 2014 I was there. I've been eating salads 2twice a month on binges. I can only eat so much of that. I can't give up the beef. I like my fish, once a week maybe twice but its mainly beef. I also try to eat wheat bread, brown rice. Now last month I lost my Dr. I am not sure I will get another and I have tried other Drs but to give you idea... I HATE DR'S. I don't trust drugs specially after what they have done to me I refuse to take pills. Dr Gallemore knew this but... Could actually convince me to take them. Just I was let him know of adverse effects. Every Dr before and last year when I had this weird thing going on while my Dr was out sick told me to continue meds. I kept getting worse I finally tossed the pills. Unfortunately they were for my diabetes. And I had been keeping my blood sugar in check I still have but its been average of 180. I do need a gym membership that has a pool because I need to get the blood cleansing going. All summer I drank water like a fish and an occasional real pop I was down to 250. And my blood sugar was a cool 85-100. Being active is key. Weight lifting maybe once a week but I find it better to exercise. Now to search for a Dr who listens to there patients.

PS before someone says it, Dr Gallemore back in may of last year was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He was a good Dr but that is a very deadly disease. I feel one of the worse cancers there is. All cancer is bad but it feels to me the big c gets all the very good ppl in my life. I wished I could sick cancer in the mouth!!! Sorry someone told me he couldn't been a good Dr if he couldn't cure his self..

Edited by snyper316

Rather than staying away from bread, make your own whole wheat multi grain bread. Most, if not all, off the shelf whole wheat bread is partially refined flour which is what turns it into junk food. Whole wheat, whole grain bread is actually good for you.

Read the label on everything you buy to eat. A lot of the food for sale is actually of questionable value and it is often necessary to decode the information you are given.

This is the biggest pains. What is salt and sugar doing in frozen veggies. I always thought those the next best thing. Lil wrench hates cooked brocolli, carrots, celery he prefers those raw and eats potatoes raw.

I buy the 100%whole wheat whole grain bread and I find it delicious I wished I knew how to make it but I read the label of it and don't see flour but I will look more closely.

My philosophy is to eat what you want to a certain extent, just reduce the amount. And for me exercising does very little as far as losing weight. It's those elbow exerices that do you in.

It's hard to find any processed foods that don't have sugar added to make it taste better. That's one reason there are so many fat people. Sugar is in everything. I brought this up before and some objected but I think there should be a hefty tax on sugar to discourage its consumption. We tax the crap out of alcohol and tobacco. Why not sugar? Use the money to fund health care.

Dan, cutting out the diet sodas and all carbonated beverages is the best thing you can do when you diet. I cut out all of them last year and when I started that diet I weighed 241 lbs. I changed my eating habits too and that helped. No seconds and smaller portions and cut way down on the sweets. It wasnt all that hard, but needed to do something after my heart episode that really got my attention. I now weigh 185. I would like to get under 180 but if I dont I am still very happy to be where I am at. My waist size went from a 42 to a 34. My shirt size went from XXL to L. Good luck with your diet, you can do it!!!

185 Bob? I'm impressed!!! Great job!! I'm right about where you started. I don't think I have as far to go. I did have some muscle Once! I think I was at my best around 195. Had a 32 waistline then. Lifted 5 to 7 days a week and WALKED that yard. With this leg I can't see getting back to that but something needs to change!! I went up to around 252 a few months ago and have changed things a little. I'm starting to quit making excuses for not going to gym. I'm doing upper body and avoiding the leg mostly. Need some good exercises for my neck. I can barely look over my shoulder. VA Doc said it is done. Took MRI and Wanted to know when I broke it. IT AIN'T DONE Bitc*!! She told me to stay away from the weights. Wrong again. Before you all jump me to listem I know my body and I'm going to do this!!! I csan do the gym part but am very weak on the food part. The Warden is a great cook and a Old School girl. She loads my plate and brings it to me!! ( Yeah I know I'm Spoiled):backinmyday: And I wouldn't change that for anything!!! "185" again Bob I'M IMPRESSED!! Congrats!!! I'm thinking my goal is 200 with the gym playing its part. We shall see.:fatsmiley:

Bob, 185 is impressive.:thumbsup:

Dan I know how that goes having a good cook that brings you a plateful. I have same problem here.

Mt doc has recommended that I shoot for 215 as a goal. He said I would not be happy or healthy if I got to much less than that.

I already know that there is no way I am going to get that old body back from my 20s and 30s. even then I was at 210 with a 30 inch waist. and non of that came from a gym, I was working a loading dock where forklifts were not allowed, All trucks had to hand loaded and unloaded.

This last tendon blowout really did a number on me. I gained 20 lbs and can not seem to get it to go away. I really need to better control my diet, and get off of the see food diet that I am on now. But that is really hard.

I do understand that to loose weight you must either reduce calories in or increase calories out. Between the rehab of the tendon and the really nasty winter I just have not gotten out to do much of anything, and it shows. This remodeling of the kitchen I thought would help as opposed to watching TV, But all it has done is to show me just how terribly out of shape I am.

Good luck, If we all stick together for moral support we can all get one up on this tonnage thing.