IGNORED

Tire dates..

Desret Don

Hey all, just received a new dunlop e3 that I ordered from riders domain. The manufacturer date is 3 years old...according to them Dunlop says it's still ....Would you run it or ship it back?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I would have no problem running them. I go through a set or 2 every year.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Hey all, just received a new dunlop e3 that I ordered from riders domain. The manufacturer date is 3 years old...according to them Dunlop says it's still ....Would you run it or ship it back?

how quickly do you accumulate miles? I do 15-20,000 per year so I would wear it out before it aged out

Yes, it should be fine! Tire manufacturers recommend not using any tire over 6 years old. Generally, even a "fresh" tire is going to be 3 to 6 months old due to distribution times, and I wouldn't bat an eye at a one-year-old tire. Two years is a little long but I wouldn't be too concerned. At 3 years old, though, I would complain about it, but it should be OK to use. Is it a front or rear?? Generally, you will go through 2 rears for every 1 front tire...

As mentioned it all depends on how much you ride. I rarely wear out a tire and replace them due to age. so for me that tire would be only worth half as much as a new fresh tire. When I order tire I always confirm the date of the tires I will receive before I place the order. If the seller will not do that, I will pay more to get them else wear. I have heard of tires being sold that had already timed out.

Yes, it should be fine! Tire manufacturers recommend not using any tire over 6 years old. Generally, even a "fresh" tire is going to be 3 to 6 months old due to distribution times, and I wouldn't bat an eye at a one-year-old tire. Two years is a little long but I wouldn't be too concerned. At 3 years old, though, I would complain about it, but it should be OK to use. Is it a front or rear?? Generally, you will go through 2 rears for every 1 front tire...
I'm gonna tunes it on the front. *****es at the company and wrote to dunlop

I used to be actively involved in both MotoCross, Hare Scrambling and the like. Back then it was not uncommon to go thru a rear tire per weekend.. One of my supporting dealerships at the time held an annual winter time event that involved some snow riding and the like but also a "riders appreciation" festivity = tons of fun!! This was held during the winter months and right at the time that the dealerships were inventorying up for the coming season.. It was a normal and natural sequence of events for them to all but give away all left over tires to those of us they sponsored during the year.. My favorite tires during last years of those days were the Dunlop "752"s.. I was always amazed at how even 1 year of time could make such a difference in the rubber hardness of those new, but older tires.. I always said that tires reminded me alot of bread = day old bread gets hard and crumbly.. My KX500 could easily tell the difference between fresh and day old tires.. It would actually toss knobs off while air born and clearing jumps by blurping the throttle to raise the front end where new, more pliable tires would stay together with no problem..

In later years here it is not uncommon for us to go thru numerous rear tires during a season on Tweeksis.. I do most of my purchasing online (even have them shipped to me while out CTFW and swap em out on the ride) and always price shop.. Generally speaking I end up with tires that are a year or so old and,, as days past,, those tires tend to be less pliable than I know they would be if I paid top dollar to insure I was get fresh bread.. Lay em in the desert sun while I remove the wheel from the bike and the heat will soften em up to help with the install so having them lose some resilence is not an issue there and I know within a few days I will be swapping em out again so dry rotting from time is no issue in my case... Fact is,, I have had very good results running older, NOS tires with very little issue..

That said,,, if I had paid full price for those tires and they are 3 years old,,, I think I would contact the seller and let them know it wasnt gonna work and give them the option of return or adjust the price accordingly.. I would say 1/3 to 1/2 off would be fair.. If you price searched and bought at a reduced rate then,, yea,, ya done found my favorite day old bread store!!! RUN EM!!

Puc

Hey, Don, were you from Buffalo or the suburbs? I grew up in Hamburg myself. What year did you leave? I'm familiar with your last name, I probably know of some of your relatives...
Grew up in Tonawanda, went to Kenmore west. Spend a lot of time in Angelica/Birdsall

I call dealer and they said if stored in a climate controlled environment and not stacked Dunlop says they can sell a tire up to 10 years old...thought that was crazy so wrote to Dunlop, which is Really Goodyear. Their reply is that a tire is good forever if never mounted on a bike...wtf really...

I had a Dunlop EII on my 83VR that came with the bike when I bought it. It had 50% wear and who know's how old it was?? The PO had just replaced the front but I think the rear was OEM. Anyway I rode around on it for a couple of more years and then had the Ft Collins trip coming up so thought it might be wise to replace it. Posted a pic here to get opinions and everyone said ride it. So I did. Another 3K miles and it still had tread when I got back. So I don't take too much stock in tire companies recommendations... Kinda like 5 years on a helmet.... :icon_lurker::whistling:

I had a Dunlop EII on my 83VR that came with the bike when I bought it. It had 50% wear and who know's how old it was?? The PO had just replaced the front but I think the rear was OEM. Anyway I rode around on it for a couple of more years and then had the Ft Collins trip coming up so thought it might be wise to replace it. Posted a pic here to get opinions and everyone said ride it. So I did. Another 3K miles and it still had tread when I got back. So I don't take too much stock in tire companies recommendations... Kinda like 5 years on a helmet.... :icon_lurker::whistling:
Never heard the 5 year helmet thing

Never heard the 5 year helmet thing

this is from the snell foundation....

[h=4]Why should you replace your helmet every five years?[/h]The five-year replacement recommendation is based on a consensus by both helmet manufacturers and the Snell Foundation. Glues, resins and other materials used in helmet production can affect liner materials. Hair oils, body fluids and cosmetics, as well as normal "wear and tear" all contribute to helmet degradation. Petroleum based products present in cleaners, paints, fuels and other commonly encountered materials may also degrade materials used in many helmets possibly degrading performance. Additionally, experience indicates there will be a noticeable improvement in the protective characteristic of helmets over a five-year period due to advances in materials, designs, production methods and the standards. Thus, the recommendation for five-year helmet replacement is a judgment call stemming from a prudent safety philosophy.

Why should you replace your helmet every five years?

The five-year replacement recommendation is based on a consensus by both helmet manufacturers and the Snell Foundation. Glues, resins and other materials used in helmet production can affect liner materials. Hair oils, body fluids and cosmetics, as well as normal "wear and tear" all contribute to helmet degradation. Petroleum based products present in cleaners, paints, fuels and other commonly encountered materials may also degrade materials used in many helmets possibly degrading performance. Additionally, experience indicates there will be a noticeable improvement in the protective characteristic of helmets over a five-year period due to advances in materials, designs, production methods and the standards. Thus, the recommendation for five-year helmet replacement is a judgment call stemming from a prudent safety philosophy.

Now you've done it. Another thing to do.:doh: Your ruining my depression time by making me spend more money.:mo money: I gotta quit coming here so much its really trying to entice me to do something constructive. That is depressing.:smilies6: So now I'm looking at helmets, there are so many choices...........:bang head: I give up for now, gotta go for coffee and BS. :97:

[h=4]Why should you replace your helmet every five years?[/h]The five-year replacement recommendation is based on a consensus by both helmet manufacturers and the Snell Foundation. Glues, resins and other materials used in helmet production can affect liner materials. Hair oils, body fluids and cosmetics, as well as normal "wear and tear" all contribute to helmet degradation. Petroleum based products present in cleaners, paints, fuels and other commonly encountered materials may also degrade materials used in many helmets possibly degrading performance. Additionally, experience indicates there will be a noticeable improvement in the protective characteristic of helmets over a five-year period due to advances in materials, designs, production methods and the standards. Thus, the recommendation for five-year helmet replacement is a judgment call stemming from a prudent safety philosophy.

Interesting but think I'll keep mine a while.

You know, i guess it depends how much you value your life, but I really don't care for all the extra stuff thrown in. Depending on what helmet you get it isn't like trying to buy as new motorcycle every year , no where near the price. So far I have replaced helmets every two years mainly due to wear and I want a new look. I still use my old helmets too but only to a certain extent. I mainly wear half helmets but will say this much it seem the full helmets straps and such last alot longer, I just don't like the tunnel vision so to speak.

That quote from Snell almost had me until the second to last sentence. Then it turned into marketing hype.

Conversely that is the same reason for the 5 year tire hype. We either wear them out or replace them due to road hazards, abnormal wear, or old age, but that doesn't mean after 5 years. IMHO any tire that deteriorates in 5 years I don't wanna own... So like in the last Snell sentence it's a judgement call. What I'd like to see is a warantee that's more than a year. For the price they charge for MC tires, compared to auto tires, the warantee should be 10 yrs. or to the wear bars.... :icon_lurker:

thought that was crazy so wrote to Dunlop, which is Really Goodyear. Their reply is that a tire is good forever if never mounted on a bike...wtf really...

Good forever? :missingtooth:

My response to Dunlop is: "so the reason for going to the added expense of date stamping each is,,," :detective: