United States
    AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tire dates..

Hey all, just received a new dunlop e3 that I ordered from riders domain. The manufacturer date is 3 years old...according to them Dunlop says it's still ....Would you run it or ship it back?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

United States
    AL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Tire dates..

Quote Originally Posted by Desret Don View Post
    Hey all, just received a new dunlop e3 that I ordered from riders domain. The manufacturer date is 3 years old...according to them Dunlop says it's still ....Would you run it or ship it back?

I would have no problem running them. I go through a set or 2 every year.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

United States
    IL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Desret Don View Post
    how quickly do you accumulate miles? I do 15-20,000 per year so I would wear it out before it aged out

The current 2 wheel fleet:
    2012 Venture, 1980 Kawasaki KZ750, 1978 Honda CB750,
    1977 Honda GL1000, 1977 Honda GL1000,
    2007 Kymco Grand Vista

4. Thanks Desret Don gave thanks for this post
    United States
    AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vzuden View Post
    how quickly do you accumulate miles? I do 15-20,000 per year so I would wear it out before it aged out
    Not sure..first road bike in years but often do few hundred miles a week. Will do 4 or 500 easy on weekends soon

United States
    IN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd run it. The tire has been sitting in indoors, off a bike, no weight, no elements... If it was 5 years I might send it back, but 3, IMO, you'll be fine.

7. Thanks Desret Don gave thanks for this post
    Likes Desret Don liked this post
    United States
    NY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, it should be fine! Tire manufacturers recommend not using any tire over 6 years old. Generally, even a "fresh" tire is going to be 3 to 6 months old due to distribution times, and I wouldn't bat an eye at a one-year-old tire. Two years is a little long but I wouldn't be too concerned. At 3 years old, though, I would complain about it, but it should be OK to use. Is it a front or rear?? Generally, you will go through 2 rears for every 1 front tire...

9. Thanks Desret Don gave thanks for this post
    Likes Desret Don liked this post
    United States
    MI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ride it like you stole it

United States
    WI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As mentioned it all depends on how much you ride. I rarely wear out a tire and replace them due to age. so for me that tire would be only worth half as much as a new fresh tire. When I order tire I always confirm the date of the tires I will receive before I place the order. If the seller will not do that, I will pay more to get them else wear. I have heard of tires being sold that had already timed out.
    Jeff Borowski . . 88 Venture standard
    There are 10 kinds of people that understand binary, those that do, and those that don't. Sometimes the thoughts in my head get bored and go for a stroll out through my mouth (or fingers). This is never a good thing.

United States
    AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bongobobny View Post
    Yes, it should be fine! Tire manufacturers recommend not using any tire over 6 years old. Generally, even a "fresh" tire is going to be 3 to 6 months old due to distribution times, and I wouldn't bat an eye at a one-year-old tire. Two years is a little long but I wouldn't be too concerned. At 3 years old, though, I would complain about it, but it should be OK to use. Is it a front or rear?? Generally, you will go through 2 rears for every 1 front tire...
    I'm gonna tunes it on the front. *****es at the company and wrote to dunlop

United States
    NY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, Don, were you from Buffalo or the suburbs? I grew up in Hamburg myself. What year did you leave? I'm familiar with your last name, I probably know of some of your relatives...

14. Likes Desret Don liked this post
    United States
    MI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    475 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to be actively involved in both MotoCross, Hare Scrambling and the like. Back then it was not uncommon to go thru a rear tire per weekend.. One of my supporting dealerships at the time held an annual winter time event that involved some snow riding and the like but also a "riders appreciation" festivity = tons of fun!! This was held during the winter months and right at the time that the dealerships were inventorying up for the coming season.. It was a normal and natural sequence of events for them to all but give away all left over tires to those of us they sponsored during the year.. My favorite tires during last years of those days were the Dunlop "752"s.. I was always amazed at how even 1 year of time could make such a difference in the rubber hardness of those new, but older tires.. I always said that tires reminded me alot of bread = day old bread gets hard and crumbly.. My KX500 could easily tell the difference between fresh and day old tires.. It would actually toss knobs off while air born and clearing jumps by blurping the throttle to raise the front end where new, more pliable tires would stay together with no problem..
    In later years here it is not uncommon for us to go thru numerous rear tires during a season on Tweeksis.. I do most of my purchasing online (even have them shipped to me while out CTFW and swap em out on the ride) and always price shop.. Generally speaking I end up with tires that are a year or so old and,, as days past,, those tires tend to be less pliable than I know they would be if I paid top dollar to insure I was get fresh bread.. Lay em in the desert sun while I remove the wheel from the bike and the heat will soften em up to help with the install so having them lose some resilence is not an issue there and I know within a few days I will be swapping em out again so dry rotting from time is no issue in my case... Fact is,, I have had very good results running older, NOS tires with very little issue..
    That said,,, if I had paid full price for those tires and they are 3 years old,,, I think I would contact the seller and let them know it wasnt gonna work and give them the option of return or adjust the price accordingly.. I would say 1/3 to 1/2 off would be fair.. If you price searched and bought at a reduced rate then,, yea,, ya done found my favorite day old bread store!!! RUN EM!!

Puc
    Remembering my brother and friend:
    "I'm not Yammer Dan" - Yammer Dan
    Proverbs 18:24 - "There is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother"..
    Miss you bro - Puc

United States
    AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bongobobny View Post
    Hey, Don, were you from Buffalo or the suburbs? I grew up in Hamburg myself. What year did you leave? I'm familiar with your last name, I probably know of some of your relatives...
    Grew up in Tonawanda, went to Kenmore west. Spend a lot of time in Angelica/Birdsall

United States
    AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I call dealer and they said if stored in a climate controlled environment and not stacked Dunlop says they can sell a tire up to 10 years old...thought that was crazy so wrote to Dunlop, which is Really Goodyear. Their reply is that a tire is good forever if never mounted on a bike...wtf really...

United States
    CA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a Dunlop EII on my 83VR that came with the bike when I bought it. It had 50% wear and who know's how old it was?? The PO had just replaced the front but I think the rear was OEM. Anyway I rode around on it for a couple of more years and then had the Ft Collins trip coming up so thought it might be wise to replace it. Posted a pic here to get opinions and everyone said ride it. So I did. Another 3K miles and it still had tread when I got back. So I don't take too much stock in tire companies recommendations... Kinda like 5 years on a helmet....

United States
    AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Condor View Post
    I had a Dunlop EII on my 83VR that came with the bike when I bought it. It had 50% wear and who know's how old it was?? The PO had just replaced the front but I think the rear was OEM. Anyway I rode around on it for a couple of more years and then had the Ft Collins trip coming up so thought it might be wise to replace it. Posted a pic here to get opinions and everyone said ride it. So I did. Another 3K miles and it still had tread when I got back. So I don't take too much stock in tire companies recommendations... Kinda like 5 years on a helmet....
    Never heard the 5 year helmet thing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast