IGNORED

Rear speaker / amp question

So the I've read the rear speakers are mono. I'm guessing the two are run in series?

speaker.jpg

82&83 are the front speakers. 84 is the rear.

I'm not seeing a way to add a 4 channel amp with all speakers stereo and still keep the fade function of the oem stereo.

Can I split the wires going to the rear speaker where they input the amp and then run all 4 speakers independently after the amp? I know the two rears wouldn't be stereo but at least all 4 would be getting the same wattage and the fader would work.

Are the stock front and rear speakers the same ohm rating?

I'm thinking 4 of the Polk 401's with one of these two amps. Kind of like the Kenwood. You can cut off the rca input jacks and use the stock speaker wire to turn on the amp. I like this because then you would not have to run a control wire from a parking light or something and if the stereo was off or you had just the speakers off to use the headset I assume the amp would not be on.

Thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/Clarion-XC2410-Marine-Amplifier/dp/B00S7G1TPO/ref=lp_2383694011_1_5?s=marine&ie=UTF8&qid=1516149861&sr=1-5

https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-KAC-M1804-Compact-4-channel-Amplifier/dp/B00JEC0YFQ/ref=lp_2383694011_1_9?s=marine&ie=UTF8&qid=1516149861&sr=1-9

speaker-M.jpg

You may want to discover how many amps this unit takes. It says that it needs a 10g wire directly from the battery, so that indicates a fair power draw. Then you need to examine how much available power you have in your scoot and you might find that you'll need to add an alternator just to keep up.

You may want to discover how many amps this unit takes. It says that it needs a 10g wire directly from the battery, so that indicates a fair power draw. Then you need to examine how much available power you have in your scoot and you might find that you'll need to add an alternator just to keep up.

Had some of the same concerns. Was kind of hoping that the stock amp would not really be a draw just supplying signal to the new amp and that that the new amp would just provide cleaner, less distorted power with the same draw. Like this amp would get me the the same power to the speakers at 60% as the stock amp would give me at 100% but with less distortion.

I have one speaker in the rear that is damaged and needs to be replaced. This has my wheels turning but I definitely need to get some more information on adding an amp and how much extra I am really drawing from the bike.

The Polk 401's have been used by others but reports are that it didn't make much of a difference using the stock set-up. Issue seems to be the small size of the speaker. For HD's they have mounted speakers on the saddle bag lids. Think someone did this to their RSV but involved cutting a hole in the lid and using fiberglass to "mold" the lid up and around the speaker.

Thanks. I think this project will end with an upgraded pair of speakers up front and moving one of the working front speakers to replace the broken rear speaker.

I did not realize that a 100watt amp was 100 watts of output but that the input could be 3-4 times that amount.

I have a Sena headset and am getting a BT transmitter for the stereo. I'll just use that for highway travel. For around town the stock stereo is good enough.