IGNORED

YZERNIE'S NEW 3RD GEN: Our FIRST genuine owner/operator 3rd Gen Ride Report!!

DITTO!

@yzernie ... Maybe I missed something but I don't recall any mention of "top heavyness" and low speed handling comparison between the old RSV and the new SV ... could you comment on that plz.

Absolutely...The 05 RSV was pretty top heavy compared to the 2001 V-Star 1100 I came off of, but expectedly so. My HDs were less top heavy than the RSV but not by a huge margin. Any full on touring bike is going to have some top heavy feel to it because of all the things that are on them but this Venture has a substantially less top heavy feel to it than any of my previous bikes. I'm sure part of that is I sit more "in" the bike than "on" the bike. I can do full lock figure 8's at slow speeds and I do not feel like I am in any danger of falling over. I haven't had the CEO on it yet so I cannot comment on the two up feel but I would guarantee it won't be as bad as the RSV or HD's in the top heavy aspect of things. What I really am impressed with is the ease of standing it up off the kickstand. Hardly feels like a touring bike!!

Slow speed handling is also much better than the RSV. I think some of that has to do with the size differences of the front tire because by nature the fatter front tire on the RSV will steer slower. There are also other things that come into play like chassis geometry, rider positioning, etc. The SV has a lower center of gravity and that also have a big impact with slow speed handling. One thing I did find (because I have some nerve damage in my right wrist and it may not works the same for everyone) is with the handlebars in the stock position I didn't feel as comfortable with slow speed handling. Once I raised the bars up a few inches that feeling all went away and slow speed stuff is much better for me. Again, that might not work for everyone.

Congratulations on the new Venture, I rode one yesterday up in Salem Oregon, I concur with your evaluation of your beautiful new Venture. I was fortunate enough to put 53 miles on the demo, I have had 3 wings in the past, but my next one is this bike, the power, comfort, unique good looks are awesome. I didn't want to stop riding it. Enjoy the ride YZ, I feel your pleasure. :thumbsup2:

YZ, Congrats on your new ride! It's a real beauty. Did you order this Gen 3 months ago, presold? Folks are still not seeing Gen 3's in showrooms. Thanks!

Yes, ordered it months ago on the day the first press release came out. All preorders are getting filled first but I would think they would be getting close to the end of that. I don't know the exact number but there were a LOT of preorders for this bike.

Yes, ordered it months ago on the day the first press release came out. All preorders are getting filled first but I would think they would be getting close to the end of that. I don't know the exact number but there were a LOT of preorders for this bike.

Thanks for this feedback!

Nice review, looking forward to many more as the bike starts getting delivered.

What is the power like, when compared to an VStar 1100?

Sorry for the delayed reply, was out of town with family for a couple days.

My V-Star 1100 was a 2001 so I don't remember a lot about the power delivery of that. First, you are talking about a difference of 800cc larger displacement Second, the weight to power ratio is probably also very different. Third, the SV has MUCH more torque than a V-Star 1100. Lastly, the SV has different power settings available.

That said, because it has been 13 years since I had my 1100 the only real thing I can tell anyone about comparing the two is...there really is no comparison. What they have in common is they are V-Twins but they are very different in power delivery. Both are torquey motors but the SV has it more...everywhere in the rpm range. Weight changes the perceived power delivery but lugging this new SV is still as easy (or even easier) than the 1100. The SV just has a lower high rpm limit and in all honesty I don't ride a touring bike at 6,000rpm!! The SV has the power delivery in exactly the rpm ranges this bike is supposed to be ridden.

Sorry for the delayed reply, was out of town with family for a couple days.

My V-Star 1100 was a 2001 so I don't remember a lot about the power delivery of that. First, you are talking about a difference of 800cc larger displacement Second, the weight to power ratio is probably also very different. Third, the SV has MUCH more torque than a V-Star 1100. Lastly, the SV has different power settings available.

That said, because it has been 13 years since I had my 1100 the only real thing I can tell anyone about comparing the two is...there really is no comparison. What they have in common is they are V-Twins but they are very different in power delivery. Both are torquey motors but the SV has it more...everywhere in the rpm range. Weight changes the perceived power delivery but lugging this new SV is still as easy (or even easier) than the 1100. The SV just has a lower high rpm limit and in all honesty I don't ride a touring bike at 6,000rpm!! The SV has the power delivery in exactly the rpm ranges this bike is supposed to be ridden.

Thanks for reply. I owned two VStar 1100s, an 04 and an 08. I liked the low end torque; I prefer the "shove" forward than arm stretching horsepower, but beyond 4000 rpm, that motor had given all it had. Not a fast bike.

My F6B, on the other hand, has a lot of power....most I've ever had on a bike...and was wondering if I would be disappointed with the SV's power. I have watched a few videos online where the demo rider has come away disappointed with the acceleration.

Sounds like it has a lot of torque, though, but I will only know for sure when I ride one.

Thanks for reply. I owned two VStar 1100s, an 04 and an 08. I liked the low end torque; I prefer the "shove" forward than arm stretching horsepower, but beyond 4000 rpm, that motor had given all it had. Not a fast bike.

My F6B, on the other hand, has a lot of power....most I've ever had on a bike...and was wondering if I would be disappointed with the SV's power. I have watched a few videos online where the demo rider has come away disappointed with the acceleration.

Sounds like it has a lot of torque, though, but I will only know for sure when I ride one.

The F6B is a six cylinder? I'm going to guess you would need to adjust to the SV V-Twin vs 6 cyl power delivery. Two different animals IMO.

The F6B is a six cylinder? I'm going to guess you would need to adjust to the SV V-Twin vs 6 cyl power delivery. Two different animals IMO.

Yes, they are very different. As mentioned, I have owned two twins, plus a four and the current flat-six.

Twins have gobs of torque that "shove" forward...the flat 6 has a lot of torque too, but it is distributed in a more linear way through the RPM range.

I like twin torque, as I am in no hurry. However, since having the flat 6, I do appreciate the hard pull of horsepower to go along with that aforementioned torque.

A question for you... the GW is an easy to maintain bike...oil changes, rear tire are a piece of cake.

How easy is it to remove the rear tire on the Venture?

See answers in blue.

I rode for right around 30 minutes in Los Angeles city traffic on a balmy 70* winter evening. Stop and go with a top speed was 15mph for no more than 10 seconds and was in that traffic for what seemed like an eternity. I'd be lying if I said the engine didn't get hot but it didn't get anywhere near as hot as my HDs did and that includes the water head bikes. Most of the heat was felt off the left side where the rear cylinder head pipe routes out. There is a double head shield there and although I did feel the heat, it wasn't as bad as the heat coming off my HDs.

Would be interested to know what the heat is like when you duplicate this ride or something similar in 85-90* Temps.