IGNORED

valves

Did the check tonight, stated smiling when cylinder 1 & 3 were good.

But then I find all four intake valves on 2 and 4 (the front cylinders) were tight. Left side of each cylinder was .10 and the right side of each cylinder was .9

Is that normal at all? All the exhausts were good.

The bike has 90k on it but there was evidence that the valve covers have been off at least once before.

I'll pull the shims tomorrow and see if I can find some locally.

It is more normal for the exhaust to be tight, but certainly not unheard of for intake to be the tighter ones. Double check that you used the correct specs for the correct valves, intake and exhaust are different. I've seen it done.

There is no telling how much effort was put into a previous valve check, did someone adjust all of the exhaust to the high limit and left the intakes alone at the low limit? No way to know now and that could also explain your somewhat unusual results.

When I did my valves I set all of the valve to the upper limit so that it will not have to be done again in my life time of ownership.

You said you were going to "pull the shims tomorrow"

WARNING!!!!

Do not turn the engine with any shim out of the bucket, things will snap into a bad position that is very difficult to recover from.

[quote name=

WARNING!!!!

Do not turn the engine with any shim out of the bucket, things will snap into a bad position that is very difficult to recover from.

Good point. I wish that wasn't the case, it would make playing musical chairs with the shims a lot easier.

Pulled the shims, one at a time and measured. Tomorrow I search for shims. The good news is that I am off school tomorrow. The bad news is that it is because we are expecting a foot of snow. Here in Virginia Beach 12" is nearly the same as 12'. Not likely I will be leaving the house even if I can find a dealer with some they are willing to sell.

So did you measure all the clearances? Then the ones that are out of spec measure the shims and see if you can make something work out. The same shims are used in several bikes from Hondas to Triumphs, yamaha suzuki

So did you measure all the clearances? Then the ones that are out of spec measure the shims and see if you can make something work out. The same shims are used in several bikes from Hondas to Triumphs, yamaha suzuki

Yep,

Today I spent a little more time doing a more accurate check, stacking feeler gauges where necassary.

Going to change 6 intake shims and 1 exhaust.

Pulled and measured the shims. I'll be able to re-use 2 of them.