IGNORED

antenna question

If the only problem was that you had is a loose antenna and the threads on the base are fine, then all you need is the antenna part. If there is a break in the lead, which could be caused by a sharp bend or a pinched area, then you'll need the lead. Next question is, do you want your CB to work or is this just for radio only? For radio only, or reception only, almost anything will do, but for CB transmit you will need to match the antenna to the radio or you'll stand the chance of burning out the radio.

Thanks,

No, I removed the CB. Don't need it.

I'd like to replace the am/fm antenna with something short.

The part still attached to the bike in the picture, does it come apart to allow attachement of another antenna? Neither this "base" or the detached antenna has any threads. It just slides in and was held there by a zip tie.

I read there is an adapter needed but haven't been able to figure out if the adapter is for the female socket at the radio or the part in the picture.

Thanks,

No, I removed the CB. Don't need it.

I'd like to replace the am/fm antenna with something short.

The part still attached to the bike in the picture, does it come apart to allow attachement of another antenna? Neither this "base" or the detached antenna has any threads. It just slides in and was held there by a zip tie.

I read there is an adapter needed but haven't been able to figure out if the adapter is for the female socket at the radio or the part in the picture.

I've never had to play with a 2nd gen antenna, so don't really know how the whip attaches to the base. Guess we'll have to wait for some of the rest of the boys to sober up and get bored so they can help out.

No big deal. Already got a new one fitted. Wanted something a little more discrete anyway.

What did you end up using? I would love to replace my antenna, as I really don't like the look of them. They look old school. I wouldn't bother with the cb antenna, since I never use the cb.

Dale.

I also removed the cb.

I replaced the old radio antenna with a cheapie reg. old whip antenna from the local car parts store.

I was lucky to already have had the fairing apart because I replaced the entire cable and had to include a 4' extension.

Was no problem except for I needed a longer 10/32 bolts and a little plastic spacer that I found in my junk drawer. Works much better than the stock one although my stock one was likely damaged.

20180107_161018-M.jpg