IGNORED

another passing light wiring option

Doing the head bearings on my new to me Venture and trying to make it mine I realized I needed to upgrade the job that was done wiring in the passing lights. Perfect time since the fairing would be off.

In addition to fixing the odd job that was done I wanted to accomplish 4 things.

1. 1. Bring a heavier gauge wire up front to run the lights. Should add more voltage to the lights and be less taxing on the likely already undersized wire these lights were wired into.

2. 2. Have an accessible switch to turn the lights on at any time.

3. 3. In addition to the switch, I wanted them to automatically come on with the high beams if the weren't already.

4. 4. Be able to turn off my low beam when needed to save power for heated gear. (this was separate from the passing light wiring but I did it all in one project).

To be able to have the lights on with the low beam via the switch and have them come on with the high beams whether the switch was on or not I needed to use two relays.

diagram-M.jpg

I ran a pair of 14 gauge wires back to the battery. The hot was used for power into the first relay and later the light. The ground was used for the relays and will be used later if I upgrade the passing lights to some proper driving lights.

The switched power for the relay on the left came from the running lights. Power for the other relay signal was tapped from the high beam.

I bought a 5 pack of chinese Bosch relays with harnesses, I used two of them for the passing lights and a third one to switch the low beam.

20171229_103752-M.jpg

20171229_185442-M.jpg

Also switched out the cig. lighter for a voltmeter with a usb charger. Just need to plug that old hole and do some cleanup.

20171230_223118-L.jpg

Edited by B.E. Coyote

You've got a problem:

As it's wired the lights will come on with the high beam only if your manual switch is turned off.

By getting power for the high beam relay from 87A of the switched relay the high beam relay only has power with the switch off.

You need to connect terminal 30 from the high beam relay to terminal 30 of your switched relay to have the high beams turn on the passing lights regardless of your switch position.

• 2 weeks later...