IGNORED

Tinker screamed at me tonight

I had to get tinker out this evening to go get my Tahoe to take mom to ER well about the time for fan to kick on I start hearing a heck of a scream.. Then 2 minutes later it stopped. So do these bikes not like 15° f or is it my fan is bad?

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

It seems to be much more prevalent to happen when it is cooler than normal. And, I would say 15 degrees is pretty cool. :cold:

Randy

-9 tonight..... windchill started tinker up in garage ran dryer vent hose out the door let her run till fan kicked on, no squeal So I am betting it must be speedo what kind of grease should I use in there? Won't be working on Tinker anytime soon till I can build me a box in my garage so I can actually heat the garage with out losing all that heat. Still according to thermometer its 42 Ok I need to find out where that senser is because my car wash soap is slush...:rotf::rotfl:

If I may ask a dumb question, now I am assuming from post number 1 that, being only 15 degrees out you just pulled Tinker out of the garage so that you could get the Tahoe out, you did NOT ride the bike anywhere, and that rather the bike was just idling in the driveway, so how in hell could the speedometer cable squeal when the bike was just setting?????

If I may ask a dumb question, now I am assuming from post number 1 that, being only 15 degrees out you just pulled Tinker out of the garage so that you could get the Tahoe out, you did NOT ride the bike anywhere, and that rather the bike was just idling in the driveway, so how in hell could the speedometer cable squeal when the bike was just setting?????
No I went to taco smell to get the Tahoe from sons work.

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

There is a sleeve/bearing in the back of the speedometer where the cable sticks in. It is a blind hole, so to get grease in the needed area, you have to go from the outside and use pressure to get grease around the sleeve, or take the speedometer out and going in from the inside to get grease down to the bearing. I have used a very thin screwdriver to put dabs of grease around the bearing and this works, but putting grease in by pressure is better.

I made the following fixture which worked great for me and if you read the whole thread, there were recommended mods from what I did. Either way, it works and if you encounter a squealing speedometer again, you don't even have to take it out to fix it. The first thread had pics, but if you need to see them, maybe Don can reattach them.

Randy

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?36254-Lubing-the-speedo-on-a-1st-gen&highlight=speedometer

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?46080-Speedometer-squeal&highlight=grease+fitting

Edited by Venturous Randy

Let me know if you would like one of those speedo bearing greaser tool.

It has been a while and so I would need to see if I have an extra.

If not I could see what it would cost to make a single one.

Maybe start a thread and see if there are others that might want one.