IGNORED

Any gain in re-torquing swing arm bolts??

Is there anything to be gained by retorquing swing arm bolts?? Do not want to remove rear tire "again", just want to retorque bolts IF there is any gain. Do not have time to take it all apart. Thoughts?? 2005 with 65k miles

Is there anything to be gained by retorquing swing arm bolts?? Do not want to remove rear tire "again", just want to retorque bolts IF there is any gain. Do not have time to take it all apart. Thoughts?? 2005 with 65k miles

You have to take the muffs off just to get to the bolts. If you do just this, then no, it is not worth it.

To get the weight off the pivots you have to remove the bolts holding the swing arm dog-legs off. If you do this and the muffs... still not worth it.

Well... might as well take the wheel off... If you do the wheel, dog-legs, and muffs... still not worth it.

Well... might as well take the swingarm off, clean and grease all bearings. Now you are talking worth it.

You have to take the muffs off just to get to the bolts. If you do just this, then no, it is not worth it.

To get the weight off the pivots you have to remove the bolts holding the swing arm dog-legs off. If you do this and the muffs... still not worth it.

Well... might as well take the wheel off... If you do the wheel, dog-legs, and muffs... still not worth it.

Well... might as well take the swingarm off, clean and grease all bearings. Now you are talking worth it.

I already have exhaust off bike, "weld leaky joints". I just thought since bolts were accessible I would give it a shot. Every other fastener on bike seemed to be a tad loose.

I already have exhaust off bike, "weld leaky joints". I just thought since bolts were accessible I would give it a shot. Every other fastener on bike seemed to be a tad loose.

If your bike has 65K on it... when is the last time the bearings were inspected?

Did you have any ride issues? I'd think that if you do some maintenance that's easy and you get a result, then it was well worth it (& undertaking a bear of a job with no results or not doing the job, because you dread it, well that's not worth it). My '84 xvz12 "swims" or snakes on the highway at speed. I've changed tires, been through the front end and tweeted the neck but no better so I'm thinking swingarm or dogleg mount/bushings.. Nothing was flopping around back there. Come spring, I'm gonna pull the wheel and see if I can do something easy (I parted an xvz13 and the rear didn't come apart that easy).

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

I have owned it since new, so I'm sure it is been never. The swingarm definitely feels tight though

It's your bike and you have had it since new so do what you feel like doing. It certainly will not hurt re-torquing it again. Especially sine you have the exhaust off. I would do it. Why not? If anything, it will give you a little piece of mind.

It's your bike and you have had it since new so do what you feel like doing. It certainly will not hurt re-torquing it again. Especially sine you have the exhaust off. I would do it. Why not? If anything, it will give you a little piece of mind.

👍🏻🤓😃😎

If your bike has 65K on it... when is the last time the bearings were inspected?
So that's a pertinent question. More important, however, have the bearings ever been lubricated? Don't know about the Gen 2's but Gen 1's after 90 had grease nipples in the joints which made it much easier to prevent excessive and or early wear on those points.