IGNORED

Spin On Filter Help Needed. 83 VR

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a spin on filter for the 1st gens that doesn’t require an adaptor?

I thought I saw an older post a few years ago but cannot find it.

Thanks.

IIRC I got some oil filter cartridges for mine from Napa, which are made by WIX.

http://www.nfhconnect.com/Lookup/PartDetail?Part=1890555&Brand=NAP

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a spin on filter for the 1st gens that doesn’t require an adaptor?

Thanks.

I got a WIX that screwed right on. It was there from a previous owner. But, I wish it was original filter.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

Well, the Wix I got directly spins right on with no leaks. HOWEVER, a few days ago under HARD acceleration my oil pressure light came on. I read that using auto oil filters are NOT to be used on bikes because there is an extreme pressure difference between a motorcycle filter and an oil filter and this information came from an engineer who work for that Oil Filter Company.

Since I seen the oil pressure come on under the hard acceleration while I was getting on the interstate, I've now ordered a filter cover and I'm going back to the original filter setup.

Let's face it, the engineers that build the engines know what they are doing and they know the pressures in the tolerances that they need for the oil in the engine itself at the bearings. Because of reading that previous article and then having the oil light come on the absolute first thing I'm going to do is get rid of that Automotive filter and go back to the OEM setup.

The previous owners had done the changeover so I don't have the filter cover which I just ordered off of eBay. So hopefully within the next week I'll know if this solves the problem or not, but I expect that it will. In any case I won't be thinking about differences and oil pressure now that I'm going back to the OEM setup, so hopefully everything will be okay.

What bike do you have that has an oil pressure light?

Well, the Wix I got directly spins right on with no leaks. HOWEVER, a few days ago under HARD acceleration my oil pressure light came on. I read that using auto oil filters are NOT to be used on bikes because there is an extreme pressure difference between a motorcycle filter and an oil filter and this information came from an engineer who work for that Oil Filter Company.

Since I seen the oil pressure come on under the hard acceleration while I was getting on the interstate, I've now ordered a filter cover and I'm going back to the original filter setup.

Let's face it, the engineers that build the engines know what they are doing and they know the pressures in the tolerances that they need for the oil in the engine itself at the bearings. Because of reading that previous article and then having the oil light come on the absolute first thing I'm going to do is get rid of that Automotive filter and go back to the OEM setup.

The previous owners had done the changeover so I don't have the filter cover which I just ordered off of eBay. So hopefully within the next week I'll know if this solves the problem or not, but I expect that it will. In any case I won't be thinking about differences and oil pressure now that I'm going back to the OEM setup, so hopefully everything will be okay.

Never ride faster then your angel can fly. I am as free as the wind on my face.

I'm willing to bet your oil sloshed back off the level sensor and that's why your light came on. Or it could be a bad connection, possible even wonky dash...

Btw I believe it is just an oil level sensor.

Oh I'm so sorry, it was the dash indicator that went off and started flashing warning when I was under the acceleration. Sorry, it's still even though it's a computer dashboard it's still a warning light to me.

That oil warning light is only an oil level. the bike does NOT monitor oil pressure. Under very hard acceleration it is common for the oil to all slosh to the back of the engine and the oil level at the sensor gets low enough to turn on the warning light. That oil light coming on does NOT mean that oil flow or pressure to the engine has been compromised.

That oil warning light is only an oil level. the bike does NOT monitor oil pressure. Under very hard acceleration it is common for the oil to all slosh to the back of the engine and the oil level at the sensor gets low enough to turn on the warning light. That oil light coming on does NOT mean that oil flow or pressure to the engine has been compromised.
I hadn't fully awoke its cool and wet outside today so I went back to slumber. But that is what I was trying to say.

I could be wrong, but I have never heard of a direct fit spin on oil filter for the 1st gens. Using an adapter is the only way I have ever heard of it being done.

Designing and making a spin on adapter is on my list of someday projects.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::bang head::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

I got one or two of those. Makes it a little easier. I watched the oil pouring out the bottom from that OEM one. Once!!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I was WRONG about what I previously said! Sigh. I changed the oil last week and remember I said about going back to OEM? Well, I started looking and it looks like it's got an adapter. Well, I'm sticking to the WIX 51381 (Replacement at O'Riley's or eBay) using Valvoline 10W-40 Motorcycle oil.

It runs, hasn't blown up so I'm just going to have to take a loss on the filter housing and filter that I got. Oh well.

Thanks.

I know this is old, but better late than never... :-) The problem with a spin-on that doesn't take an adapter is the highth of any filter that would fit. The '83 has the adapter and FYI the filter that fits it is a Fram PH3950.... If you haven't already figured that out by now... :-) There is an adapter made in Canada that takes a slightly different filter, but I can't remember which.. :confused07: