IGNORED

Hazzard a guess?

Well we're heading to 45 degrees today 55 tomorrow and I'm supposed to get my bike back today. They still haven't spread any gravel cuz we haven't had any precipitation in 6 weeks so it should be ok to pile on some miles!

Maybe I should come up with some kind of a prize for the correct or closest answer but here's my question:

I have no idea what my bill might come to today but here's a list of things that I had done, who wants to guess?

New valve cover gaskets, valve adjustment, rebuilt carburetors, new slave cylinder for the clutch, all new brake lines, new seal on the front of the driveshaft(which we were blessed to find a new OEM part for), replaced exhaust with some Road King(or Road Star? Every time I say one or the other I get corrected so I don't know right now) take offs that he thought he could get for 40 bucks a piece. (Hear it in my recent post)

Sooooooo, How much will it cost? I may be bragging or just not so quietly (because she's LOUD now) slink off into the noon day Sun on a two laner.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Are you asking just the shop bill or does that include all of the parts that you sourced and bought for the shop to install?
I forgot that they also put in new TDI box way back when. I provided that box. I don't think there's a ton of money in Parts should be shop time. When I was in there earlier this week the old guy, that we think is actually the one who sold me my 76 KZ650, said, " "Steve, those three guys been making love to that bike all week." That's scary. They also kept it there and did the work as they had time to fill as winter set in. It was all done when they wanted to or had a chance to. We did talk once that if we were talking more than 1700 more and would have to decide whether to continue or not. And, these guys already did $3,500 worth of work for the previous owner who only put 200 miles on it afterwards. Rebuild the transmission rebuilt Forks new front tire I don't know what all else

Edited by s.tyler58

I forgot that they also put in new TDI box way back when. I provided that box. I don't think there's a ton of money in Parts should be shop time. When I was in there earlier this week the old guy, that we think is actually the one who sold me my 76 KZ650, said, " "Steve, those three guys been making love to that bike all week." That's scary. They also kept it there and did the work as they had time to fill as winter set in. It was all done when they wanted to or had a chance to. We did talk once that if we were talking more than 1700 more and would have to decide whether to continue or not. And, these guys already did $3,500 worth of work for the previous owner who only put 200 miles on it afterwards. Rebuild the transmission rebuilt Forks new front tire I don't know what all else

I had it at $1850 before I read the above... I think I will hold my bid and not fold at this point even with this new revelation..

Sure sounds like your coming home with a dandy Ty!!!

Still no bill. Or bike. Fuse blown. No tach, no turn signals, no tail/brake light. Mark says, "In the morning."

Tomorrow, (Oops, I forgot that it's 2 AM now! I picked up some Chinese food on the way home and ate it then fell asleep on the couch from about 6 till 11. My body clock's a mess this week) anyway, Saturday's supposed to be near 60 with little wind.

I had it at $1850 before I read the above... I think I will hold my bid and not fold at this point even with this new revelation..

I will come to you on next rebuild.... I had that in brakes, carbs, and forks there was a couple little things but can't remember... But its bunch cheaper since I have started doing my own work.

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

Edited by snyper316

• 3 weeks later...

Well old Pucster, you were half right. It was expensive but it runs and sounds wonderful. Everything is solid and safe. No new brake line for the master cylinder to the rear brake lever because it's like banjo on one end and almost an automotive set up on the other end and they don't make it anymore. Anybody got one around?

Now I've got her back home tearing it down to clean it up I've got some Dash issues to work on like a headlight that will either give me low or high beam. Be driving along with the low beam on and it goes out and I get a headlamp warning light. Flip it to high beam and it works fine. Hit another bump later on and the high beam goes out and the warning light comes on, switched back down to low beam and it's fine. And I'm going to have to do that gas gauge soldering in the dash.

Sure wish I had left and right fairing turn signal lenses. Then I wouldn't hesitate to paint it. But '18 is for riding not painting.

Well old Pucster, you were half right. It was expensive but it runs and sounds wonderful. Everything is solid and safe. No new brake line for the master cylinder to the rear brake lever because it's like banjo on one end and almost an automotive set up on the other end and they don't make it anymore. Anybody got one around?

Now I've got her back home tearing it down to clean it up I've got some Dash issues to work on like a headlight that will either give me low or high beam. Be driving along with the low beam on and it goes out and I get a headlamp warning light. Flip it to high beam and it works fine. Hit another bump later on and the high beam goes out and the warning light comes on, switched back down to low beam and it's fine. And I'm going to have to do that gas gauge soldering in the dash.

Sure wish I had left and right fairing turn signal lenses. Then I wouldn't hesitate to paint it. But '18 is for riding not painting.

So tell, how much?

So tell, how much?
Let's just say that if I were married and wanted to spend the kind of money that I have in this toy, a wife would have made me remodel the bathroom. This was $3,800. Now I'm just over 5G total. I could post a copy of the bill but that wouldn't be fair to Mark and I don't need you guys telling me where I spent too much where I got a deal. I just want to ride it and smile.

Let's just say that if I were married and wanted to spend the kind of money that I have in this toy, a wife would have made me remodel the bathroom. This was $3,800. Now I'm just over 5G total. I could post a copy of the bill but that wouldn't be fair to Mark and I don't need you guys telling me where I spent too much where I got a deal. I just want to ride it and smile.

I have the parts for the clutch springs and Gasket to do myself. It's time for me to take on the mantle of mechanic.

Well this time the Pucster was a way out, couple of us a bit closer,,,,, did we win? did we?

Nah,,, I don't think anybody is going to speak about how much and where you spent it, it's just interesting to know,,, and you did ask. Hope you enjoy your ride, and if and when you need some help in the way of info, we'd be glad to steer you,,,, maybe even in the right direction.

Well this time the Pucster was a way out, couple of us a bit closer,,,,, did we win? did we?

Nah,,, I don't think anybody is going to speak about how much and where you spent it, it's just interesting to know,,, and you did ask. Hope you enjoy your ride, and if and when you need some help in the way of info, we'd be glad to steer you,,,, maybe even in the right direction.

I'll take my bill to work tomorrow and make a redacted copy. You know like all of Obama's stuff...

Hmmm don't know if the 83 had the Reserve Lighting Unit. If it does, check the connector for that. It's located under the dash just below where the windshield would be. You do need to split the fairings at the front, which is easy. Take the dash out...or at least lift it up. The RLU is about 2"X3" and has a large multi-wire connector to it. It is sitting thee attached to a rubber mount and slips off.

If you don't have a RLU, then go for the switch on the left handle bar. Make sure the start switch on the right handlebar is coming out all the way....not stopping almost out after being pushed in. Beyond this...I know nothing about an 83. I'm getting good on 89's and 05 RSV's!

Hmmm don't know if the 83 had the Reserve Lighting Unit. If it does, check the connector for that. It's located under the dash just below where the windshield would be. You do need to split the fairings at the front, which is easy. Take the dash out...or at least lift it up. The RLU is about 2"X3" and has a large multi-wire connector to it. It is sitting thee attached to a rubber mount and slips off.

If you don't have a RLU, then go for the switch on the left handle bar. Make sure the start switch on the right handlebar is coming out all the way....not stopping almost out after being pushed in. Beyond this...I know nothing about an 83. I'm getting good on 89's and 05 RSV's!

When I bought it I knew it hadn't run in 2 years. Many of you will be bored by this story. Found out last week a guy i met told me that for a year and a half it laid on the ground on the right side.. That must be why I only saw it for about 6 months in his backyard before I hit him up about it. We've done a lot of work over the summer with lots of little"diagnostic" rides. Longest Ride I had was maybe three hundred miles the most were around a hundred to hundred and fifty. So while I'm not well versed in all the lingo and a lot of times will say the wrong word for the right thing, I am old and I have always fixed stuff and I can do this. I just let my desire to ride sooner and act like I had money overrule my brain.

Edited by s.tyler58

When I bought it I knew it hadn't run in 2 years. Many of you will be bored by this story. Found out last week a guy i met told me that for a year and a half it laid on the ground on the right side.. That must be why I only saw it for about 6 months in his backyard before I hit him up about it. We've done a lot of work over the summer with lots of little"diagnostic" rides. Longest Ride I had was maybe three hundred miles the most were around a hundred to hundred and fifty. So while I'm not well versed in all the lingo and a lot of times will say the wrong word for the right thing, I am old and I have always fixed stuff and I can do this. I just let my desire to ride sooner and act like I had money overrule my brain.

And let me remember to add that I very much appreciate that advice. It's a good place to start!

Often with older vehicles its easy to get more money into them than fair market value. Key is getting that investment back in joy. Not long ago I really enjoyed a ride through your locality on my way back from CO. I dont doubt you will get every cent back. I dont even want to think about how much $$$$$ I sank into my Samurai to make it both trail worthy and daily drivable. Its just how it seems to go sometimes. What you paid does not sound unreasonable for the work done, its a fair bit of labor.

Come spring you should be set for some serious riding. :biker:

Often with older vehicles its easy to get more money into them than fair market value. Key is getting that investment back in joy. Not long ago I really enjoyed a ride through your locality on my way back from CO. I dont doubt you will get every cent back. I dont even want to think about how much $$$$$ I sank into my Samurai to make it both trail worthy and daily drivable. Its just how it seems to go sometimes. What you paid does not sound unreasonable for the work done, its a fair bit of labor.

Come spring you should be set for some serious riding. :biker:

My dreams are

Friday: get as far away from Omaha towards an interesting place to ride. I'm going to do the tent thing. Maybe in some of you all's yards!

Saturday: Ride for fun Saturday

Sunday: fun ride, lunch, haul ass home on Sunday or Monday. Think I need a 72-hour bug out bag...

My dreams are

Friday: get as far away from Omaha towards an interesting place to ride. I'm going to do the tent thing. Maybe in some of you all's yards!

Saturday: Ride for fun Saturday

Sunday: fun ride, lunch, haul ass home on Sunday or Monday. Think I need a 72-hour bug out bag...

Awesome! Your deffs gonna get your value out of this bike. It sounds like you ride much like I do and the Venture is very well suited. I ended up taking 71 up through Scottsbluff and Kimball, very rural and pleasant all the way through the grasslands and back to South Dakota. When I ride I passionately avoid cities like Omaha, but I was very pleasantly surprised by western NE. Your close to SD, make sure and HMU if you wander through the Black Hills, great camping in our little valley here, plus you can grab a shower and some grub. If my wife knows abead of time you may get lucky and get some lumpia haha.

I use a specific tent and bugout bag for the motorcycle. I was able to add a few things thanks to the Ventures generous cargo capacity. It seems like a virtually perfect tourer, esp for the $$. Im shocked how well the gen1 Venture handles our scenic and very twisty roads along with the long straight-ish jaunts like hwy 79. Good times!

All kinds of ways to look at it. But the bottom line is how much fun you have with it. Gen I Ventures are inexpensive to buy for what you get which is a fast, good handling, reliable after you get the usual stuff repaired, and comfortable touring bike. Hey the airlines use their airplanes for 35 years or so and they are reliable because they keep them maintained properly and replace stuff before they reach the end of their service life, proactive maintenance I believe it's called. Cowpuc and many others have proven how much bang for the buck the Ventures are.

Awesome! Your deffs gonna get your value out of this bike. It sounds like you ride much like I do and the Venture is very well suited. I ended up taking 71 up through Scottsbluff and Kimball, very rural and pleasant all the way through the grasslands and back to South Dakota. When I ride I passionately avoid cities like Omaha, but I was very pleasantly surprised by western NE. Your close to SD, make sure and HMU if you wander through the Black Hills, great camping in our little valley here, plus you can grab a shower and some grub. If my wife knows abead of time you may get lucky and get some lumpia haha.

I use a specific tent and bugout bag for the motorcycle. I was able to add a few things thanks to the Ventures generous cargo capacity. It seems like a virtually perfect tourer, esp for the $$. Im shocked how well the gen1 Venture handles our scenic and very twisty roads along with the long straight-ish jaunts like hwy 79. Good times!

Lumpia?

Lumpia?

A Filipino food bearing a very strong likeness to eggrolls. Pork, beef, veggies. Effen delicious, usually served with pancit which is sort of like a stir fry. Chicken Adobo is another must try. These dishes vary some between Ilonggo and Ilocano cooks but either is a win. Wifey is Ilonggo so thats her style. Im a very happy man!