IGNORED

Phone battery backup

s.tyler58

I'm going to assume that most of you carry some kind of phone battery backup for your overnight trips. You know, those nights when you pull off, throw up a tent, snuggle into bed, try to make a call to say goodnight and realize you forgot to plug in your phone during the last two hours of your trip.

So assuming that, is there a storage backup that you highly recommend and wouldn't leave home without? I do have a JBL Charge 3 that is supposed to charge your phone but it gives you about 20 minutes of a charge. Enough for an emergency. But then you also lose the ability to listen to music cuz your battery went to give you a few minutes of phone use. By the way, I've been told I give good phone. Wink

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Had a back up thing for awhile. I think got it off Amazon or something. Have not used it in maybe 2yr. My old Galaxy S2 and whatever I had after that were no picky about power supplies. My newer S7 dont like the power plug on the bike that worked great with the other phones. I think same thing happened with the portable power. My phone or the wifes at the time LG phone didnt like it much, always gave the "use approved XXX power supply" for best results.

...My newer S7 dont like the power plug on the bike that worked great with the other phones. I think same thing happened with the portable power. ....

I installed a USB charging port in my 2nd Gen trunk which provides 1.0A and 2.1A. The newer phones require 2.1A. At the lower amperage I've found the charging pretty much just maintains the battery power level but not charge it. When I don't leave my phone on top of the trunk (the NY group will know this story) if my battery level is low I can plug it in and keep it dry and safe in my trunk while it is charging.

Few years I also picked up some battery packs - think they are Duracel but haven't tried them on my S7. They are good for charging other devices but think the battery packs are at 1.0A

I'm going to assume that most of you carry some kind of phone battery backup for your overnight trips. You know, those nights when you pull off, throw up a tent, snuggle into bed, try to make a call to say goodnight and realize you forgot to plug in your phone during the last two hours of your trip.

So assuming that, is there a storage backup that you highly recommend and wouldn't leave home without? I do have a JBL Charge 3 that is supposed to charge your phone but it gives you about 20 minutes of a charge. Enough for an emergency. But then you also lose the ability to listen to music cuz your battery went to give you a few minutes of phone use. By the way, I've been told I give good phone. Wink

I just picked up one of THESE in an auction for $7 bucks just because. I really don't like to buy anything electronic out of an auction, but it was cheap.. Got it home and the reason it was auctioned of by Amazon was the charger adapter for the US was missing. Called Celestron and they sent me another complete charger... for no charge.. :-) (is that a pun??) Anyway the thing was designed to supply power to their computer controlled scopes. Besides that it has a light that you need to put on the shades before turning on... Bright as all get out. It also has a couple of USB ports for charging phones and plugging in the computer. I think it's great for a power source when doing a long trip.... Not cheap but worth every penny.

18771_PowerTank_Lithium_1_570x380.jpg?v=1511996070

I just picked up one of THESE in an auction for $7 bucks just because. I really don't like to buy anything electronic out of an auction, but it was cheap.. Got it home and the reason it was auctioned of by Amazon was the charger adapter for the US was missing. Called Celestron and they sent me another complete charger... for no charge.. :-) (is that a pun??) Anyway the thing was designed to supply power to their computer controlled scopes. Besides that it has a light that you need to put on the shades before turning on... Bright as all get out. It also has a couple of USB ports for charging phones and plugging in the computer. I think it's great for a power source when doing a long trip.... Not cheap but worth every penny.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1935/4371/products/18771_PowerTank_Lithium_1_570x380.jpg?v=1511996070

Holy smokes! Not in my budget at this WalMart price! Bet it's a good one though. That's what I paid for the Charge 3 and it has great speakers! Loooooong battery life when used as speakers. In fact, before I put the new pipes on last week (see other post), I could have listened to it on the bike for audio. 72358cf8c4e6b5e5be7d6b6c68fbd4cc.jpg

A friend of mine (Thanks again Evan) bought me a Jump Starter. It has a flashlight, usb charger (2 ports) a 12, 16,19 volt port with adapters and it actually does even start a car with a dead, dead battery. It goes with me mostly wherever I goes,,, if I remember. Recharges from 110 or 12v.

My friends think they need them silly things they get like the 20 dollar ones... If I forget to charge my phone so what... Guess it just goes dead till I feel like plugging it in...

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

Sniper 316 I get that. But sometimes it's about people who need to be able to reach you not who you need to be able to reach

Sniper 316 I get that. But sometimes it's about people who need to be able to reach you not who you need to be able to reach

I understand Ty but.... If I'm trying to get away I'm going to get away but in this day and age it is important to have a phone. I figure people who don't have anyone at home want to get away from the hoopla once in a while. I sure wished I could once in a while.

I understand Ty but.... If I'm trying to get away I'm going to get away but in this day and age it is important to have a phone. I figure people who don't have anyone at home want to get away from the hoopla once in a while. I sure wished I could once in a while.

I haven't spent the night outside of the umbrella of city lights in many years. I need to get out and regain some perspective. There aren't many married men that just decide that it's a nice day and take off at the drop. I'm not whining. I got a pretty good gig goin'.

I haven't spent the night outside of the umbrella of city lights in many years. I need to get out and regain some perspective. There aren't many married men that just decide that it's a nice day and take off at the drop. I'm not whining. I got a pretty good gig goin'.

I get it. When I decide to take off I usually take the wife. I think we both need it, we just cruise eAch in our own little world inside the helmets. Back in October we had a vacation planned and work had me stressed to the breaking point, she and the girls took a car while I rode the 850 miles on my own. They had their hen party on the drive and I arrived a different person. We then spent the week as a family vacation, probably the last one as my oldest starts med school this fall. Cell phones during the drive then turned them off the rest of the time.

I was a Sam's Club the other day and I picked up 3 packs of these for my Christmas giving.

It's a two pack of chargers, each about the size of a I-phone 6 and rated at 10,000 ma. for about $35.

So, each will go to a couple to split them. I don't know how good they are yet. (they are on the same store shelf as the Duracell batteries.)

It only comes with a pair of the micro cords (Android?), so if you got an I-phone, you need your own cord.

See link below.

For me, I got the Antigravity Micro X1 for my bike. Goes on trips with us, it can jump a F350 or a cell phone. Real quality but on Amazon went from $89 to $140 this year.

Also, there is a mall type store called 5-Below, nothing cost more than $5. They have a lot of electronics charger cords and battery packs for $5. They are small (credit card size but 1/4" thick) and will do a charge ok.

Sams link: https://www.samsclub.com/sams/10000mah-battery-2pk-fall-2017-pallet/prod21423854.ip?xid=plp:product:1:16

Charger from Sams.jpg

Charger from Sams2.JPG

Edited by Mike G in SC