IGNORED

Suspected Starter Clutch but maybe that's not the problem.

So about a little over a month ago I went to start up the 89 and got the box of marbles sound while cranking it over. She fired up and at idle had a small crunch or two as well. Killed it and figured the starter clutch may be bad. The bike has pretty low miles

Upon inspection it looks nice. No chipping or unusual wear. It possibly looks like a new replacement part. I've attached some pictures. Maybe some of you experts might have a better idea. Out of the 3 bolts one was loose enough I probably could've unscrewed it with a small screwdriver, another was a little tight but not much (Maybe 25 in/lb), the last i couldnt undo with a ratchet while holding the oily flywheel in my hand but loosened easily with a quick pop from my cordless impact driver.

All 3 volts had remnants of thread sealant and two were peened (staked) although not effectively.

Would the 2 bolts being somewhat loose cause a bad grind? Or do I possibly have worse issues. The springs, cups, and rollers are perfect looking. No scratching/scuffing/indentations.

Video of sound:

20171210_185334.jpg20171210_185150.jpg20171210_185048.jpg20171210_181637.jpg20171210_181555.jpg I think I made a video I'll have to dig up.

Thank you.

Edited by AJBinVA

Does you bike have or have you upgraded the battery cables to the starter and ground yet and you might also want to find a 4-brush started and replace the 2-brush starter that most likely is on the bike now. I would do both of these if they havent been done yet and make sure the bolts for the starter gear are properly torqued. I was getting some sounds like that out of my bike when it got hot but once the 4-brush starter was installed, I dont anymore.

You can usually find good used ones on ebay as Yamaha switched to them for the 91 and up Ventures and Vmaxs I beleive. You can tell when you dont see the big Phillips head screw on the main body of the starter motor.

For upgraded battery cables, they were a few members selling them here in the past in the classified section.

Hope this helps

Rick F

Although I upgraded to the better starter clutch and was super happy with it, from what I see and what you tell us, I would stick with what you have, but install it properly. If all the bolts weren't torqued properly there is no telling what noises might be produced and what you have doesn't look bad, to me anyways.

The thing missing from the pics is the surface of the 72 tooth gear that the roller ride on. That surface must be perfectly smooth. If you can see vertical lines, even if you can not feel them, it is worn out and needs to be replaced. Also examine the rollers closely for vertical lines

There are some indications of chatter on the mating surface of the 72 tooth gear. Makes me feel a bit more reassured that the starter clutch is the issue. Turns out the spare I had has the same chattering marks. So I'll be ordering new parts.

Thank you for all of the help. FWIW the bolts the spare starter clutch are torqued super tight which also means mine were way too loose.

When you put those bolts back in, clean the holes and the bolts so there is no oil or thread locker residue. Then install them with red Loctite, torque to spec, and stake them in place. If you are lucky they will not loosen up again.

I had my start clutch replaced by @Dano to one that has 18 rollers instead of 3, so it should last forever. It is a bit more cost, but the savings will come in never having to do it again.

I agree with the above, but, with your video, it sure sounds like things are not spinning at the right speed. If you can afford it, do the battery cable update AND the 4 brush starter motor upgrade. A 2nd Gen starter can usually be found on eBay for around $60 and it is plug and play...