IGNORED

Best Source for Carb Parts?

luvmy40

I'm planning to rebuild my carbs this winter. YamahaSportsPlaza.com has the best price I found for the head cover gaskets and, so far the best prices on the carb parts that I can find. Does anyone have a better/cheaper source?

Here's a screen shot of the carb parts in a shopping cart:

yamahapartsplazacart.jpg

The diaphragm, set 5 is the coast circuit diaphragm, not the main piston diaphragm.

Edited by luvmy40

Partzilla is a few dollars cheaper across the board and free shipping on orders over $149.00. Only problem is they don't have the main nozzle or needle assy. in stock, so that kind blows the free shipping if I have to order them from YSP.

I went ahead and ordered the parts that I absolutely know need to be replaced, including the head cover gaskets from HELL(well, from china actually) from Partzilla. Hopefully the main nozzles, needles and coast diaphragms don't need replaced. I have already inspected the main slide diaphragms and they are fine so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

For the carbs, I ordered the rubber blocks for the jet blocks, the jet block gaskets and the choke block/enricher block gaskets. I have half a dozen different o-ring kits so the o-rings should be covered.

The needles set, 1NL-1490J-00-00, for the 86-93 Ventures MKII are no longer available from anywhere I can find, so be careful with the ones you have now.

I ordered some different carb "kits" but none of these "kits" are complete and you will need to order parts from Yamaha. I thought the K&L 18-2879 had the most usable parts in it for the cost. It includes the float bowl, starter, and jet block gaskets. Also an assortment of O-rings that are needed. It does include a needle value and seat but I think I would order the Yamaha one as it includes the net filter also. I would also use Yamaha for the main nozzle.

SCI in Canada, http://www.siriusconinc.com , also has a selection of after market carb parts but I would stay away from their keyster carb kits but I did order the jet block plugs from there as they offer them in a package of 8 with 4 of both sizes that you need. I also ordered the carb joints that attach the carbs to the heads plus a set of vacuum plugs for the vacuum ports on the joints. They also offered the group here a discount on the diaphragms for the slides and still might if you contact them.

For my Yamaha parts source I use Partshark.com and have had good luck with them.

Hope this helps.

Rick F.

cimmer,

Thanks! Parts Shark appears to be just a bit cheaper than Partzilla though I didn't dig in far enough to see what shipping costs are there.

Yamahasportsplaza.com does have the main needle assy. and main nozzle available. They're pricey, though cheaper than the local dealership.

ETA: The needle set I found is for the '89 V-Max 1200 not the MK1 Venture, sorry! I may order one just to compare them.

Edited by luvmy40

BTW,

The reason I am going to "Rebuild" the carbs is simply my fuel economy sucks right now. She's running great but I'm only getting 28-29 mpg with a good tail wind.

I quick cleaned the carbs(can of carb cleaner and partial disassembly) and replaced the pilot mixture screws when I first got the Beast and that seemed to be all that was needed until I started tracking my mileage.

Poor MPG was one of the first issues that I had to fight with, I could barely kiss 30 MPG on a good day. Like yours mine was running great, I just couldnt get over 30 regardlss of shift points and riding style.

I learned on my Vmax that float levels and jetting are crittical adjustments with regards to both economy and performance. I also had some pinholes and wear spots in the diaphragms (back on the Venture now) I replaced those from a seller on the UK that makes them himself (no Chinese parts) and they work quite nicely, and for $100 for the set it was a win. I rejuvinated the jet block plugs, they were not quite snug. I think all this helped some, probably more performance than economy. I even tried different maps and papameters on the Ignitek with limited success, sure got it running well but my economy was still in the basement. From all the reading I did on this Venture tuning I learned that consensus is that factory jetting is ideal. Im now believing this may not be true in some cases, especially those of us living at altitude. Here is the rational that led me to this conclusion;

Having tried everything else suggested and using tuning experience gained on the Vmax (except jetting, based on above mentioned consensus) and reading a couple others restoring MPG using Skydocs needle shims, I ordered and installed the shims. That took me from 30-ish to the 38-42 I enjoy now. It ran with just as much power, mabye a touch more responsiveness. Hard to tell without a dyno.

What this told me is that I was in fact to rich, duh, but had to RO other stuff too. The carb rack being a nuisance to pull, unlike the Vmax where I tried several different jetting combos to get great MPG and blistering performance, I opted to simply leave the shims in place as a bandaid. Regardless, I was getting proper MPG and it ran fantastic. I had a trip to CO planned and was suck of ****ing around with it, so off I went, loaded with all my crap. This is how I left it, how it is today and how I plan to leave it. Good MPG and runs great. Done.

I will say that next time I have to pull the carbs I'll play with jetting and experiment with the shims, but for now its doing what I want. Im not sure if this is your issue, this is just my experience. I even replaced all brake calipers with freshly gone over R6 calipers/new HH pads to RO brake drag (and help slow the beast). It did need it. Some jetting can be experimented with without pulling the rack and I'll get to that some day, but for now I'm just going to ride. Like I said I went through the carbs first and IMHO its sound reasoning to make sure these aged carbs are up to snuff regardless. I hope some part of my longwinded blathering on helps in some way.

My altitude is 3000' and I ride up generally more than down, often over 6000'. Stock exhaust, COPs, Ignitek and nothing else. I know the Vmax like to be a touch lean and come a touch rich, It sure seems like the Venture is the same in that regard. The float adjustment I used is on the Factory Pro website under Vmax, I set it at the lean end of the range. Sean Morley let me know its the same for Ventures and its working great for me. Hope you get it sorted.