User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GM in-car distraction systems, whether you want it or not.

United States
    SD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default GM in-car distraction systems, whether you want it or not.

GM will add their e-Commerce apps to your GM vehcle automatically, thats right, right down your throats!

See, you guys/gals that have read anything I have ever posted know I'm cynical as hell, so when I read about their rational I emitted a short string of obscenity followed by the forehead palm plant. Its for your safety and mine! See what they did there. It has nothing to do with revenue sharing in undisclosed amounts.

I was looking for an opt-out option, or something that said it would only work while stationary. Which would mean your going to be stuck sitting behind them through green lights just as the idiots that use their phones while driving already make everyone do. Its important to know its about "safety" and not undisclosed profits. Pfffft. This will be for 2017+ GMs.

This wont effect me beyond the likely safety issues of more driver distraction, I dumped GM before HD and that was decades ago. See while many automakers are pioneering advancing auto technology, GM has long been selling the same old cars with old tech while adding current tech to the infotainment systems, giving the illusion of a current tech vehicle. I noticed this a few years ago.

This is a short read and a bit lean on details,, but enough to cement my boycott of anything GM later than 1972, which has been cemented many times over. Now mfg-sponsored spam right in your dash. I would rather see them develope better transmissions or find ways to improve on the lifeboat-esque handling, improve steering/braking feel or for effsake eliminate rattles and squeeks. Maybe stop with all the inferior materials/plastics lacing the current cabins. Nope, you get this instead, this is what they needed to do.

What do you folks think about this? Do you have one of these afflicted vehicles? Does this shine with you?
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-g...-idUSKBN1DZ0DX

2. Thanks cowpuc gave thanks for this post
    Likes cowpuc liked this post
    United States
    GA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: GM in-car distraction systems, whether you want it or not.

I'm not more concerned about it than I am general smartphone use by drivers, which do the same things.

Its probably less of a safety hazard than someone fooling with their cellphone or tablet in the car.

I didn't read anything in the article about GM flashing spontaneous ads on the screen while you were driving.

Most high end cars have built in screens with aps already, or at least bluetooth hooks to your handheld which does have aps running.

That said, I'm unlikely to buy a GM car.
    Dahlonega, GA. The past was good enough for us.

United States
    MI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm concerned about what they're doing to cars.

My wife drives a 2004 Lincoln Aviator. All the climate controls are push button and you have to look away from the road to see temperature settings, fan speeds etc. Primitive compared to new vehicles with touch screen displays to page through. Still plenty distracting.

My 2007 Colorado has 3 knobs you twist for temperature, fan speed and which vent it blows through. I never need to look at them, just reach and turn. To me, a far superior user interface. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll ever be able to get that again.

I recently read an article about a study that indicated in car touch screens were as bad, or worse, than phones.

1989 Venture Royale
    1982 XJ650 (Sold)
    www.thundervalleypower.com

United States
    WI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ford is also launching the same thing.
    In a couple of years everyone will have it.
    Hopefully the hackers will find a way to turn it off as they have done with many other "built in 'features' "

I was looking at switching from GM to Ford until I found out they made extra effort to make the eco boost engines very quiet so that they can pipe in a synthetic sound of a healthy V8 through the cabin speakers. They are doing this on the Mustang and the pickups. This engine noise comes in even if the audio system is turned off. Just like door chimes and other alarms still play even with the sound off.

ALL of the car makers are going backwards in engine tech. That is why you see all of the transmissions with so many gears. the new engines have a very narrow torque band so they need a lot of gears to try to stay in the sweet spot of rpm.
    Jeff Borowski . . 88 Venture standard
    There are 10 kinds of people that understand binary, those that do, and those that don't. Sometimes the thoughts in my head get bored and go for a stroll out through my mouth (or fingers). This is never a good thing.

United States
    WA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Say isn't GM the company that filed bankruptcy so they wouldn't have to pay back their employees the money they borrowed from them? Yea I would trust them with my life.

Mike

Nys forgotten town
    NY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to be all GM and nothing but GM. But then they took the Gov't handout that ended them for me. As far as these e-Commerce Apps are concerned to me it is just one more nail in yours and my coffin. When I have to cross the road to farm some of my land the number of people not watching the road but looking at some electronic do-dad is scary! Be very careful they drive among us!
    Do you trust your government?
    Ask an Indian.

DOT
    Doing Our Thing

United States
    AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still good on GM.

1: They paid back the gov loan to the penny.

2: They make the only truck that has put up with me...towing sailboat thousands of miles without effort. Approaching 197K with all original except batteries, tires, oil and gas.
    Still getting 18 to 20 mpg's at 75mph. 12 to 14mpgs towing 2.5 ton boat,

3: I've had Fords, Dodges, Chryslers and none have come close to the dependability, quiet cabin, engineering as my 2004 Yukon XL SLT.

I may be lucky, but I'm all for another Yukon.
    USAF
    AFRTS Turkey
    1970-1973
    Patriot Guard
    "Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once." - Well worn saying
    "Great ideas often receive violent opposition from mediocre minds." — Albert Einstein

9. Likes CaseyJ955 liked this post
    United States
    NH
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still don't have a vehicle with with any kind of touch screen fortunately. I do however, own a 2016 Chevy Express van for my business and I couldn't agree more on things going backwards and setup for the greedy automakers. My wife's car does have a touch screen and I refuse to drive it. It's so distracting and drives me crazy.

My van has a a tire pressure monitor system that is pisses me off. Got a flat tire so I changed to the spare tire. Then a "service tire monitor system" comes up on the dash every time I started the van. Got the flat fixed and put the repaired tire back on and still the same message on the screen. Posted the message on youtube and found a simple fix. Unfortunately, GM did away with that fix around 2006 and now a special electronic metering tool is required to reset the system. Your options are the GM dealer, a mechanic shop that has the tool or buy the tool yourself.

I found a mechanic that reset the system. Cost me $25.00 for less than 5 minutes work. Can't imagine what the GM dealer charges. Not only do you have to pay to get the flat fixed, but now it costs to reset the tire monitor system any time you get a flat!

11. Likes CaseyJ955 liked this post
    United States
    NC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by grubsie View Post
    Still don't have a vehicle with with any kind of touch screen fortunately. I do however, own a 2016 Chevy Express van for my business and I couldn't agree more on things going backwards and setup for the greedy automakers. My wife's car does have a touch screen and I refuse to drive it. It's so distracting and drives me crazy.

My van has a a tire pressure monitor system that is pisses me off. Got a flat tire so I changed to the spare tire. Then a "service tire monitor system" comes up on the dash every time I started the van. Got the flat fixed and put the repaired tire back on and still the same message on the screen. Posted the message on youtube and found a simple fix. Unfortunately, GM did away with that fix around 2006 and now a special electronic metering tool is required to reset the system. Your options are the GM dealer, a mechanic shop that has the tool or buy the tool yourself.

I found a mechanic that reset the system. Cost me $25.00 for less than 5 minutes work. Can't imagine what the GM dealer charges. Not only do you have to pay to get the flat fixed, but now it costs to reset the tire monitor system any time you get a flat!
    I can feel for you, my wife has a 2015 Ford Explorer with all the goodies. I only drove it twice. Now my 96 Ford F150 is my ride. No distractions since I can find all necessary knobs and buttons at night and without taking my eyes off the road. Have owned it since new and only has 226k on the clock. Never a let down. Oh living in the past is grand.

Jim aka Sylvester
    Where did all the years go? I think I slept through the last twenty.

13. Likes videoarizona liked this post
    United States
    SD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Intuitive controls are king, you should be able to operate them blind. I do like nav but all the integrated features by touch screen is bad news. My favorite example is BMW and their i-drive system, its the worst nightmare. I say this as a driver that idolizes BMW as a world class automobile (not car, a Grand Am is a car, barely) Adding something like e-commerce to a GM has nadda to do with the operation of the vehicle, hence it is not only useless to motoring but its a detriment. We have not even considered possible privacy issues, GM can go right over your head and install it regardless of how you feel about it. How does that NOT infuriate GM customers? What else can they install without your knowledge? All this while using the same ol' warmed over crap mechanicals from 10-20 years ago. Nice they can use current tech when it will directly benifet them but does nothing to make the vehicle more competent, to the contrary.

It just sucks that domestic mfrs do stuff like this while Germans and Japanese have been light years ahead. VVT, Direct injection gas and diesels, variable intake runners, BMW. DSG gearboxes from Audi, the list of German and Japanese innovation goes on and on... and on. Why does BMW still use a straight six and nobody else? No idea! Drive a late model 3 series and its a question that has no answer. There is NO domestic match for a 3 series. When you drive one and throw it around its undeniably superior automobile crafted from a mfr that IS finding proper uses of technology to benifet the consumer. If your not a "driver" or wealthy, grab an Accord or Camry and drive it for decades. My 22 year old Lexus has more solid build than a Cadillac made yesterday. Why?

I know I'm ranting, the issue of automotive design and engeenering is very dear to me. When I heard of GM doing this with the infotainment systems I almost swallowed my tongue knowing how sorely they need to concentrate on other glaring quality and design flaws. At least you can buy them cheap. They are probably sucking in millinials that know zip about cars or have never driven a competent automobile, but all is forgiven if you can control your stupid ****ing phone through the in car distraction screen. I dont get it, I just cant see how free enterprise has been so kind to GM. Oh wait, it hasnt. Free enterprise already shuddered GM once, but we bailed them out.

United States
    MI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have a huge car lot not far from us whose business, at one time, was almost exclusively built on the repossesion of vehicles whose owners decided not to pay on em any more - my buddies and I called it "Repo World".. A unique feature about this particular lot was the size of the lot and the fact that you could climb in any car and if they would fire up - you could rip around the lot in em (A BLAST!!).. We used to scoot over and hunt for exotic cars to "test drive" on a regular basis. One time I climbed in a boosted Audi all wheel drive while my two buddies were checking out a big van thing to see if we could fit 3 dirt bikes in it.. I remember "boosting" across the back lot at a pretty good clip, hitting the brakes = malfunction, and then having to toss the Audi into a screaching slide to avoid piling it up into a line of repossessed cars .. Right after I did this ladies comes over a speaker inside the car and asked me if I am ok... After my initial shock I had a real pleasent conversation with her. After she hung up I spun over by my buddies and told em what happened, of course,, they were non believers so I ended up doing another slide near them with the window down so they could talk to the lady too.. Later on the way home, we all chatted about what the world was coming to and how close we were getting to wayyyyyy to much "Big Brother" involvement with even our cars!!
    Obviously Casey, I TOTALLY agree with you only, as usual, I even go to a further extreme.. I think this whole discussion is even having a GREATER impact on motorcycling!! This whole touch screen business and computer control nonsense and smart motorcycles that record our every move is wayyyy out of line IMHO.. This ties directly into a comment I recently made in a thread about the new Beemer American being speed limited to 101 mph - NONSENSE IMHO!! Also tied directly to all this was my discussion out at Sturgis about the new Venture = the Reps BIG sell point on the scoot was this whole touch screen business. He didnt appreciate it when I told him my personal opinion about what is happening (being bike or car) with the push toward more distractions for the modern day driver!! He also did not agree with my thoughts of the inherent dangers involved with anytime a driver/rider takes his eyes off the road.. Just makes no sense BUT,, his point that it obviously does sell vehicles so I dont think we are gonna see a reduction in the touch screen movement or the control we loose of our vehicles/lives any time soon
    Kretz = An explanation about all that time flying by? When you were a young scallywag, say 6 years old; one year was a 6th of your lifetime. Now at 60; one year is a 60th of your lifespan & so seems to whiz by in a blink of the proverbial eye. Ten times as fast as when you were that little kid!

16. Likes videoarizona liked this post
    United States
    SD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cowpuc View Post
    We have a huge car lot not far from us whose business, at one time, was almost exclusively built on the repossesion of vehicles whose owners decided not to pay on em any more - my buddies and I called it "Repo World".. A unique feature about this particular lot was the size of the lot and the fact that you could climb in any car and if they would fire up - you could rip around the lot in em (A BLAST!!).. We used to scoot over and hunt for exotic cars to "test drive" on a regular basis. One time I climbed in a boosted Audi all wheel drive while my two buddies were checking out a big van thing to see if we could fit 3 dirt bikes in it.. I remember "boosting" across the back lot at a pretty good clip, hitting the brakes = malfunction, and then having to toss the Audi into a screaching slide to avoid piling it up into a line of repossessed cars .. Right after I did this ladies comes over a speaker inside the car and asked me if I am ok... After my initial shock I had a real pleasent conversation with her. After she hung up I spun over by my buddies and told em what happened, of course,, they were non believers so I ended up doing another slide near them with the window down so they could talk to the lady too.. Later on the way home, we all chatted about what the world was coming to and how close we were getting to wayyyyyy to much "Big Brother" involvement with even our cars!!
    Obviously Casey, I TOTALLY agree with you only, as usual, I even go to a further extreme.. I think this whole discussion is even having a GREATER impact on motorcycling!! This whole touch screen business and computer control nonsense and smart motorcycles that record our every move is wayyyy out of line IMHO.. This ties directly into a comment I recently made in a thread about the new Beemer American being speed limited to 101 mph - NONSENSE IMHO!! Also tied directly to all this was my discussion out at Sturgis about the new Venture = the Reps BIG sell point on the scoot was this whole touch screen business. He didnt appreciate it when I told him my personal opinion about what is happening (being bike or car) with the push toward more distractions for the modern day driver!! He also did not agree with my thoughts of the inherent dangers involved with anytime a driver/rider takes his eyes off the road.. Just makes no sense BUT,, his point that it obviously does sell vehicles so I dont think we are gonna see a reduction in the touch screen movement or the control we loose of our vehicles/lives any time soon
    Im a huge fan of boosted Audis, my daily driver is a boosted audi and I fall in love again each time I drive. Not to many cars that handle pavement so well and launch like a rocket on loose dirt. NOTHING launches on gravel like a Quattro Audi. Being a lifelong German car nut I will confess to a strategy shared by others like me. Love that German car with more soul than Ottis Redding, but best have a Japanese car somewhere close!

Some mfrs use a touch screens to remove focus from the rest of the package being dated, HD and GM come to mind. As tech moves forward im sure most vehicles will have touchscreen, I suspect they will evolve in terms of usability. That or automotive trends will move away from them as we start to see distraction as a problem. I have a bigger problem with the connectivity stuff than the idea of the screen, like you Puc im not cool with big brother. The GM system would not please me at all when they can alter the content of my car as they see fit. I have HUGE issues with that! Whatcha think Puc, should I just go back to Torinos and Baja bugs that could drive through an EMP blast?

See, I want the tech for engine management and underpinnings, also used during manufacturing. I can do without all the interior tech that does nothing for how the car runs amd drives. Needless complication.

In the case of the Venture I think tbe tech went in all the wrong places. Couldnt agree more on the touch screen, you are 100% spot on. I think they should have been more concerned with performance and less with gizmology. Parking assist, air cooling, touch screen 45 deg twin... Hahahaha seriously!
    Last edited by CaseyJ955; 12-05-2017 at 11:44 PM.

18. Thanks cowpuc gave thanks for this post
    Likes cowpuc liked this post
    United States
    MI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyJ955 View Post
    Whatcha think Puc, should I just go back to Torinos and Baja bugs that could drive through an EMP blast?

See, I want the tech for engine management and underpinnings, also used during manufacturing. I can do without all the interior tech that does nothing for how the car runs amd drives. Needless complication.
    Actually Case,, I think those last two lines pretty much sum it all up perfectly from my perspective.. While I TOTALLY loved and miss those days of yesteryear when, on a moments notice, I could pop the hood on my old 351 Cleveland 4 speed fast back Macher, reach under my front seat and grab my Distributor wrench and advance the timing in her just to the point of spark knock to suck every ounce of horse power out of her cause one of my buddies wanted to race = "tweaking" was the name of the game!!
    While those days of Mallory ignitions, duel pumpin 4 barrels, cheater slicks on 10inch Cragars, traction bars, Hooker Headers and Sunoco 260 flowing from one of those pumps with the little twist dial selector was, without a doubt, AMAZING and fun,,,, it was also a ton of wrench spinning..
    Having gotten lazy in my old age AND having experienced the days you mention of modern machining and modern technology in computerized ignition and fuel control = I opt whole heartedly for your last two lines!!
    Actually,, HD had a pretty good thing going there with their Screaming Eagle tuners that recently got totally and completely outlawed.. Like you mentioned in those last two lines = those tuners gave the mechanic the chance to "tweak" both ignition and air/fuel mix to exact proportions with 200 RPM parameters = IMHO,, like jetting and setting points to perfection without getting dirty .. I LIKED that!! Like you,, my problem is when that same technology puts someone other than myself in control - thats where I too have a real problem.. That said,, I think just a simple falling back in time just a tad to lose "Big Brother" and not have our machines ratting us out in any way would be as far back as I think one should go..
    My machine = I own it = I decide how fast it goes = if it blows up its my fault = if it goes fast its cause I made it go fast - if I fall over on it no one knows unless I tell em I fell over and on and on.. You and I,, we still live in AMERICA where we really shouldnt even be having this discussion IMHO,, an individuals pursuit of happiness and all that.. Yea,, I am a hard core anti Big Brother no good rat thats for sure ,,, but I love to soooo much
    Kretz = An explanation about all that time flying by? When you were a young scallywag, say 6 years old; one year was a 6th of your lifetime. Now at 60; one year is a 60th of your lifespan & so seems to whiz by in a blink of the proverbial eye. Ten times as fast as when you were that little kid!

United States
    FL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The wifes 02 Durango and my 96 Ram 2500 have way to simple HVAC controls. A dial controls fan speed, and Durango has slides for heat/cool. To simple to operate I guess for malinials.
    2013 Black Victory XCT
    Trailers are for when your bike is broke, aint they?
    https://www.epgsoft.com/VisitedState...TX.VA.WV.AR.AL

21. Likes cowpuc liked this post
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to disagree with most of you regarding GM. I've owned their large SUVs since 1999. A 99 Yukon, 2003 Tahoe, 2009 Tahoe and now a 2016 Yukon Denali. I put 100,000 miles each of the ones I traded in. I've only experienced a failed wheel bearing on the 2009 Tahoe and a failed AC compressor on the 2003. I hear people say that they are "old" designs. I disagree. There were improvements with each. Prior to buying my current truck, I looked at BMW X5, the Audi Q7 and the Mercedes GL350. In my research did not find that any of those 3 were more reliable than what I had experienced with GM. The BMW and Audi lacked the tow size and tow capacity that i needed. I really did like the Mercedes with a diesel. I talked with a number of owners and just felt I didn't want to risk the repair costs on the Mercedes once out of warranty. I was told by several owners not to own one without a warranty. So I went back to GM. The Denali pulls like a beast with the 6.2L with direct injection, 8 spd transmission and all of the electronic bells and whistles. I make at least 3 round trips to FL each year and tow a 6000 lb trailer. I get 23 mpg at 75mph on the trips without the trailer. I've got an Infiniti Q60 that barely does that. Speaking of the technology. I like it. I have GPS, bluetooth, iphone integration, etc. At first glance it does look intimidating. However, once you get used to it, 90% of the features can be controlled from the steering wheel without removing your hands from the wheel. I set the climate control to the desired temperature and don't touch it from there. If I need to put a destination into my GPS I just go the iPhone app and before I leave the house and send the destinatioin to the in-dash gps. I don't have to futz with it after I'm underway. Integrated in to all of the electronics are additional safety features. Like blind spot monitoring, lane assist that will nudge the wheel a bit if you start to drift out of your lane, warnings if the car in front of you stops or slows too quickly, rain sensing wipers, automatic high beams. When one compares the progression of features on the new Yukon to the old 1999, I don't see how one could say the design is old. The climate and infotainment systems in the German cars were even more confusing at first glance. I am sure with use they could become more user friendly.

Now to the original question regarding GM adding tools to order my next cheeseburger, nah, I don't need that. I've got an iPhone to take care of that.

Dennis

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast