IGNORED

rectifier help

Just brought home a high mileage 99 RSV.

It does not charge the battery. Battery voltage drops once the bike is running.

Using my cheap HF meter and this article it looks like the stator is good.

Everything checks out even though my readings might be off some all of the reading seem to be off by the same amount. I am getting 85 volts across all three stator leads by while holding the throttle open a bit. With no tach I am not sure exactly what rpm I am at.

I am assuming at this point that it is the rectifier. It looks like this rectifier has already been switched out and the stock plugs cut.

Now I need to find a quality replacement rectifier that has leads.

Any help? Thoughts? I've only owned the bike 6 hours :)

20171202_151731-M.jpg

Welcome!

I hate it when people do that so they can stick in a crappy $15 eBay or Amazon regulator/rectifier. I had a motorcycle (Not Venture) in the shop that someone had done that to. I guessed what regulator the new plug fit and I guessed wrong. I ended up putting individual connectors on the wires and plugging them into the regulator/rectifier. Then taped them together so it wouldn't be easy for someone to reconnect them wrong. Of course you've got to figure out where they go first......

First thing I'd check the wiring at that plug carefully, it doesn't look like it has much craftsmanship there and a poor connection will screw you.

I've seen alternators put out a/c voltage and still be bad. Don't forget to check between each of the alternator wires (3) and ground. Ohms check, if you get any reading at all the alternator is bad. I have one of these regulators on mine and als an extra in the saddlebag. Good luck.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F192188157062

Thanks all.

No shorts in the stator leads and they all put out voltage. Fingers crossed.

I ordered a used oem rectifier but I am still having a hard time sourcing the plug.

Can anyone post a link? I didn't see the plug on parts giant.

If all else fails I will use some slide on termials with leads and fill it with epoxy or something.