IGNORED

Microsoft is at it again

MikeWa

Microsoft hosted another update to my Windows 10. I wish I could just turn off updates but that seems to not be possible. So now my Outlook e-mail does not work. Notice says 'The operation failed' when trying to send or receive. The icons on my desktop are huge as are all of my applications. Also my screen is very distorted. Stretched wide and thin. My display settings are very limited and so far don't help either.

Anyone have any ideas.

Mike

After spending a lot of time with Microsoft tech chat they couldn't help. You can't completely uninstall updates on Windows 10. I finally got e-mail working but my screen is still messed up. At least until the next auto update comes in. Just think I am having all this trouble with my last Microsoft product ever.

Mike

I turned mine off completely. I have no idea of what damage I done but the updates were driving me nuts,, well,, even more nuts!!! It would screw with my desktop, shut down files I was needing on a daily basis for info, and other not so fun things. I'm running Windows 10 Home, but it doesn't tell me which version. I didn't want to say anything about this because I wasn't sure it worked for me, but it's been about 2 weeks now and I haven't had any issues to date, I also haven't shut my computer off either. Now if I can remember how to do it.

I went through my 'history' to find where I had got the info to do it, and best I can come up with at the moment is 'Howtogeek.com'

I should have written it down how I did it, but it was so easy I thought I would remember how, bit then I took a nap, and darn!! there it was >>>>GONE!!

OK!!! FOUND IT!!!

Right click on the windows icon, left corner bottom of your desktop.

Scroll up to

Computer Managment, click.

Scroll down to

Services and Applications, click.

go to

Services

Scroll down to

Windows Update

Go to right hand window

Click on

More Actions for 'windows update'

Click on

Properties

Center of new window change 'start up type' to 'manual.

Click OK

See what happens, good luck!!

My OS is Windows 10, version 10.0.10586

Thanks Marcarl

I will give it a try. I do a lot of photography and picture editing so having a distorted screen is a very big deal. I will be switching to Apple as soon as I can. But since I have a lot of money invested in various editing programs I have been putting it off. Guess I better get the lead out.

Mike

This is interesting.

I've been editing audio and video files for over 20 years on my own PC systems I built myself. I've ever had any issues like I've seen others have.

I'm far faster than a $5000 MAC tower and my last edit puter cost a tad over $1200.

I also run Vegas Pro and have since version 3...many years ago. Faster than Premier or any of the "others" out there, including Final Cut.

I do so not out of allegiance to Windows but because it's faster, more stable and can do anything...up to and including 4K for movies.

But that is in my past...I'm retired and happy to be!

I will give my opinion on why MAC people "seem" to have less problems than PC people. Because Apple is a closed system. If you want to write a program or build a piece of gear, you have to do it the Apple Way. PC's are open...Microsoft/Windows... sets the parameters and lets you figure out how to get there. That will produce programs that don't work quite right or gear that doesn't play with others well. So it's really up to Dell (who currently has the best performing 6K editing systems), HP and even yours truly...to choose the best pieces that will work for them. I've been lucky...my systems still work after years of heavy duty editing. My current "office computer" is 10 years old and still running fine...I'm typing on it now. It is a former edit system with 3 hard drives, etc..

But to me the bottom line is not what you use but how you use it that makes the grade. Apples, PC's, Linux...it all works....whatever makes you work better is best for you.

Now back to the Beatles on PBS....

What about >system>display>resolution That should adjust the size of icons etc

No help. Neither does right clicking on screen and using display settings. There is one setting that will shrink the icons but the distortion remains. In my opinion Microsoft is their own worst malware. Why they decided to change my video driver is beyond me. Also I checked on setting updates to manual. It was already there. It just updates anyways. Go figure

Mike

do you have an graphics card in the backplane or are you plugged into the video port on the motherboard. The two most common manufacturers of plugin graphics cards are nvidia and AMD. If you know or can look it up, knowing your motherboard (or model of computer) and model of video card might help in zeroing in on this is its a video display problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought a little update might be in order. (Pun Intended) I set the switches to manual, went to a previous version of Windows as suggested and after much frustration I finally got the PC to a useable point. I also connected my modem to a switched outlet so I could turn it off when I am not at my computer. Earlier today I switched the modem off and went for a cup of coffee. When I returned the computer was performing an update. Yes even though the modem was powered down. The customary blue screen, dots going in a circle and the message "Do not turn off your PC."

I really hate this. When I finally get an Apple this thing will become fodder for target practice.

Mike

I have a friend I race with online. He works in the internet set up, cell phone networking industry stuff. He has told me a couple times that Cell phones and the "updates" they get over time are actually bugs in the updates. The bugs make your phone work slower and are made to kill the phone so youll upgrade. To me Microsoft does the same thing. Every 4 yr or so the stop support for a previous OS and come out with something new, that often is worse for the common man but techy folks like.

I have a friend I race with online. He works in the internet set up, cell phone networking industry stuff. He has told me a couple times that Cell phones and the "updates" they get over time are actually bugs in the updates. The bugs make your phone work slower and are made to kill the phone so youll upgrade. To me Microsoft does the same thing. Every 4 yr or so the stop support for a previous OS and come out with something new, that often is worse for the common man but techy folks like.

Techy folks do love it and don't give two hoots for the common working man who just wants to life life at a more down to earth level.

Thought a little update might be in order. (Pun Intended) I set the switches to manual, went to a previous version of Windows as suggested and after much frustration I finally got the PC to a useable point. I also connected my modem to a switched outlet so I could turn it off when I am not at my computer. Earlier today I switched the modem off and went for a cup of coffee. When I returned the computer was performing an update. Yes even though the modem was powered down. The customary blue screen, dots going in a circle and the message "Do not turn off your PC."

I really hate this. When I finally get an Apple this thing will become fodder for target practice.

Mike

The "updates" are loaded onto your computer hard drive while you are using the computer, they then install at power down and no longer need the internet to do their damage. If the computer is forced to shut down once the update has started, it can really foul things up.

Back when micro brain was trying to shove win 10 down our throats, I had found a piece of software that prevented win 10 from getting a foot hold in my machine. I wonder if their is something similar to block the unwanted updates.

The "updates" are loaded onto your computer hard drive while you are using the computer, they then install at power down and no longer need the internet to do their damage. If the computer is forced to shut down once the update has started, it can really foul things up.

Back when micro brain was trying to shove win 10 down our throats, I had found a piece of software that prevented win 10 from getting a foot hold in my machine. I wonder if their is something similar to block the unwanted updates.

I'm using Cyanogenmod on my Android phone (Galaxy III) which has been rooted. It's never run better and there are no forced updates, for which I share your healthy skepticism. In fact my V of Cyanogenmod is many generations behind, but it runs perfect so why bother with it. Rooting and replacing the Android OS was the best move ever. No bloatware and full permission management.

I have an HP win10 laptop, what can I say, I need the comp for work as much as I need the deduction. I got hit with some amazingly bad software/bloatware/spamware/spyware that came from both MS and HP. Luckily there is a really knowledgeable fellow on the Vmax board that has given me essentially every resource needed to upgrade from win10 to Ubuntu. Thats next when I get time. My faith in MS has moved to 0 since examining win10. It's truly awful, so much control has been taken out of our hands. I finally put Cortana to sleep but I know shes still there, more work to be done! MS and Google (Android) just cant be trusted, at all. It' appalling how much control we have relinquished to use one of the later OSs.

I'm still using win7-64 on my desktop and after some adjustments it's working quite well. For the later OS versions some great alternatives exist.

My win7 was so easy to tell it not to auto update. Give this a shot for your windows 10. I'm pretty far from an expert but I went through a lot of these to try and make win10 acceptable, but failed. Give this a shot. https://www.cnet.com/how-to/stop-windows-10-from-automatically-updating-your-pc/